“Hotel Klopp”

Ranked #37 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Review of Iceland Hotel Klopp
Holiday date 24 Nov-1 Dec 2013
Those who had read my other reviews over the years know that I am a “value for money man” rather than a big spender. I decided to take a trip to Iceland to see the Northern Lights as a pre-Christmas present to myself. I stayed for a week at the Hotel Klopp in Reykjavik. The hotel Klopp is a very honest hotel in its appearance. It does not have a grand entrance, and you may be disappointed with the reception/breakfast area with its cafeteria type table and chairs. At this point some might think it looks more like a hostel than a hotel, but from here onwards thing get a lot better. You will find your room very clean and warm, the bathroom (shower only) will also be well up to standard for this class of hotel. There is a very useable fridge to store any stacks you buy, and an electric kettle for tea/coffee. The hotel only serves a typical continental type breakfast, so English guests may be disappointed not to have fried eggs/sausage/bacon on the menu. The good news is that if you like this kind of meal, you can have as much of anything you want. The hotel only serves breakfast, so if you need an afternoon or evening meal you will have to go out for it. Again the good news is that you will not have to walk far, the hotel is only 50 meters from the main street in old Reykjavik. I counted a dozen eating houses within a hundred yards of the hotel. They ranged from good quality restaurants to Burger bars, to most tastes and prices are covered. Another plus point is the hotel staff, I found all of them to be both friendly and efficient. On my first night there I found the bed in my room to be so soft it hurt my back. A quick word to the receptionist in the morning and without any drama I was installed in another room within fifteen minutes, I have been in many more expensive hotels that did not give this standard of service!
To sum up –would I go there again, yes, most definitely yes. This is my kind of hotel, clean and tidy, good staff, and prices that for such an expensive as Iceland can only be thought of as a bargain.

3  Thank biggazzy
There are newer reviews for CenterHotel Klopp

Reviewed December 1, 2013

Stayed here recently for a 5 night trip, normally we would take a metro or bus to / from airport to our hotel but Iceland doesn't really do public transport much so we booked transfers with bustravel.is.

From the airport we went to the Blue Lagoon which took about 35 minutes and when we left it took about 30 minutes to get back to the city and dropped off at our hotel. Checking in was quick and easy, someone mentioned that the forecast for seeing the lights was quite good for that same evening and we mentioned that we had booked for the following night, to which she kindly rang and re-arranged with our tour for us so that we could go that evening.

Room was a little small but we knew that we had paid for a 3* and it was expected but the location made up for it too. Bonus supermarket was a 5 minute walk from the hotel and all the restaurants we wanted to eat at were within walk-able distance too. Room was clean, heating worked well too. Normally never even turn on the tv on holidays but noticed that they had a few more channels than the usual BBC News, they had BBC1, ITV2 and some other channels. Room had a fridge which had enough room to put a few things in.

Breakfast was the usual continental fare, bread/buns, meats, fruit etc. The only part of breakfast that was annoying was the queue for the toaster, especially if you have someone who keeps hogging it indefinitely for their whole family. Maybe an investment to get a 4 slice toaster lol?

Wifi worked fine, all branches of Center hotels seem to use the same password so it was nifty for when we were out and about and needed wifi quickly as they have around 5 hotels in and around the area.

Would recommend to travelers on a budget but may be inclined to try out a different hotel when returning to Reykjavik :)

Reviewed December 1, 2013

Without being plush or amazing, this hotel was very comfortable, warm and welcoming. The breakfast was fine, if not amazing but was a great base for our trip and the staff were really helpful too. The only word of warning is to ask for a room that doesn't face the Main Street as the bar opposite is very loud!

Reviewed December 1, 2013

A great little place typical of a central town hotel.. modern, warm and vey comfortable.. we had a 5th floor room over looking the car park which was being hugely excavated.... the weather was so bad all week (rain and sleet) that no work was taking place so i should imagine had the workers been on their machinery it would have been quite unpleasant.... as it was a twin (visited with my best pal) it could have been a bit larger.. it was a tight squeeze but as long as you are tidy and organised , it's fine.. there are no drawers in the room and the wardrobe has about 6 hangers so a struggle to find somewhere to house your stuff... the en suite wet room was fine and we had good pressure and plenty ofd hot water during our 4 nights stay.. best of all, there is free wifu which is useful as there are no english tv channels except CNN... the hotel staff kept saying this was not normal and they would get it sorted by their IT people but nothing got done..breakfast is basic but adequate. the location of the hotel is fantastic.. really central to all the shops, restaurants and bars and a 3-4 minute stroll to the gray line bus station (all staff in its office are helpful and they organise everything) and harbour... we ate in many places and loved all the food.. the weather was awful whist there which was a shame but it is a fantastically interesting place regardless of the weather.. do go on the golden circle trip, the northern lights trip and also the blue lagoon .. this is a must and purchase the premium ticket to have lunch as well - it is well worth it.. we had a great trip and it was thoroughly enjoyable.. will no doubt go back and we would stay at the Klopp again....

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 29, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. The room wasn't very big, but having read other visitors reviews we were prepared for this. The suitcase went on top of the wardrobe, but the main problem was there were no drawers for clothes. There were two comfortable chairs and desk plus a tray of tea/coffee etc. Our room had only one bedside table, so I had to use the chair for my bits and pieces. If you have the opportunity to choose, ask for the sea view; we had the car park view! No problem as the weather was so poor, there wasn't much to see anyway!
However, the bed was comfortable, the ensuite okay, plenty of hot water and the room was warm.
The most positive thing was the convenience of this hotel to the centre and the harbour - only a few minutes walk away. The staff were friendly and helpful. There was tea/coffee available in the reception (breakfast area) at all times of the day. Breakfast was okay, although earlier reviews criticised it. Cereals, dried fruit, melon and orange slices, yoghurt for starters; hard boiled eggs, ham, salami, cheese slices, cucumber, tomatoes, beetroot, soused herring? if you felt up to that in the morning; fresh rolls, sliced bread to toast, and cake all available. We didn't go hungry, but would have liked more variety as it was the same every day.
Overall it was a pleasant experience. Perhaps more choice of tv channels would have been better, as we were stuck in longer than we wished due to bad weather. Free wifi was available in all the rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for the sea view, not the car park
1  Thank Jenny15072013
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Great location, at the heart of the city, within walking distance to everything! The lobby area is rather small which makes it warm and cosy. Breakfast was adequate until 10:00 and the room was rather small but the bed was very nice and comfortable. It was very warm in the room and I even had partial view of the see and the mountain! The bathroom was also small but clean and the kettle in the room was really an asset! I would stay there again!

1  Thank 13_Eleni
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I have just returned from a stay at this hotel. Excellent location, five minute walk from the harbour and the Grayline tour Excursion office. Also five minute walk in the other direction is the church (the one that looks like a space rocket!). I was a single female traveller and the location of this hotel was really appreciated, also I felt incredibly safe walking back from the Grayline office at 1am after my Northern lights tour. It was so close it really was not worth having the tour company drop me off on another bus.

This hotel is just off the main drag, BUT on a Friday night you are kept awake by the singing and drinking of the locals. I really struggled on the Friday night, but the other nights were fine. The breakfast was incredibly simple and basic and is included in the price. If I had to pay extra for the breakfast I would not have bothered, but it was ok for a little morning snack and with the food prices in Rekyjavik having this meal already provided was a bonus.

I found the front desk staff rather rude, not even raising their head to greet you as you walked into the hotel. I aksed to use the phone on the front desk to call my tour company when they were picking em up for the airport and I was just told 'they will arrive just wait'. The restuarant staff and the room service member of staff were pleasant though. The room was fairly roomy for me, ok not as big as our Premier Inn rooms, but then we are somewhat spiled with those. No bath in the room, just a wet room shower which was a bit cosey. But the room was very clean and I appreciated having a fridge to store all of my Skyr! The bed was very comfortable, but having two single duvets on a double bed was a pain, as was the two smaller than cushion size pillows (although two more are provided in the wardrobe). There is no thermostat control so the heating must be controlled centrally. This was a pain as I was so cold in my room and couldn't warm up. I had my two single duvets stacked on top of one another, in thermals in bed and was still cold. Then I was sleeping under a very small single duvet which really was not great. Could have really done with a double duvet.

I had a great stay in Reykjavik and as a solo female traveller fouind it was very safe and the hotel really was a superb location.