“A stylish gem with the most amazing staff”
Review of 101 hotel

101 hotel
Ranked #45 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed July 11, 2009

Staying at hotel 101 has been perfect! The first stopover in Iceland, we extended our stay for a day, then we made a stopover on the way back just to stay again. The staff helped us plan our sightseeing and restaurants. They truly made Rekjavik shine. I strongly suggest staying here if at all possible.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank thefidget

Reviewed June 19, 2009

Seldomely you can find Hotels like this nowadays for the following reasons:
1. Great Location , next to the main shopping street and next to the Cafe to be ( Solon Cafe)
2. Great Personnel: From the girls at the reception who can arrange everything concerning your trip, restaurant bookings and flights, to the smiley guys of the breakfast who can make the day start in a great Icelandic way.
3. Great rooms, with nice furniture and nice practical touches like a cleaver mini bar with things more than the ones you would expect to find ( DVDs, CDs, Books, Condoms, Hats, Warm socks etc etc). Room 101 is maybe the best room in town.
4. Nice living-room with a fireplace and a great decor.
5. Small but existing Gym and Spa
6. Great restaurant
7. Great design.
The only thing which could have been different is the general remote control of the TV/DVD....it's a pain, otherwise one of the best Hotel experiences which can make your stay in Reykjavik unforgettable.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank TravellerCY
Reviewed January 12, 2009

Don't be put off by the drab looking hotel exterior. Inside is an outstandingly designed funky oasis of Nordic style. Public areas are smart and trendy, the rooms are beautifully minimalist and luxurious. Staff are super friendly and couldn't have been more helpful.
We went by the previous reviews and skipped the buffet breakfast. We had breakfast in our room the first day - choice was very limited. The following days we went to some of the many excellent coffee houses & cafes nearby for breakfast.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank carolesg
Reviewed July 25, 2008

I stayed only one night at the 101 after a few days of business meetings at another hotel so my experience here is limited.

The decor is original modern chic and the rooms are spacious and very comfortable - the bed and shower were exceptionally good.

The location is excellent: a few steps away from Laugavegur where a lot of the action is but far enough from the bars to be quiet. I had nice harbour views.

The crowd at the Hotel's bar was hip and excentric.

The breakfast buffet was probably the most disappointing element at the hotel - very limited selection.

If i had to do it again I’d probably order breakfast in the room.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled solo
3  Thank Eric168
Reviewed July 6, 2008

I just adored this little gem. It is well located, away from the noisy bars that are very close to the Borg Hotel, but right in the middle of everything. The rooms are fantastic, very modern with an outstanding bathroom. I had a corner suite with a fabulous view of the harbour and midnight sun. My suite had a long desk, very comfortable platform bed, great linens, a safe and mini bar, free wireless internet, a fabulous vessel sink on a great fixture with lots of towels and toiletries. There was a free-standing tub, separate shower and the toilette was enclosed in a frosted glass chambre. Ther was plenty of hanging space and room for luggage. There was a decent selection of English speaking tv.
The lobby bar/restaurant was great, with a fireplace and lots of seating adjacent to the actual bar/restaurant. The food was very good, but the buffet breakfast didn't have eggs or bacon, so I ordered from the menu. They had excellent espresso. The bar is quite lively on the weekends. The staff was so accommodating and friendly. I loved Reykjavik and this beauiful little hotel. I really want to go back to Iceland - it is wonderful. And the 101 hotel is a must on my list, among so many other things.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank CalEuroTraveller
Reviewed May 13, 2008

Sorry for the late review, we stayed here a while ago, but I wanted to write about the wonderful experience we had at 101, especially after reading so many negative comments. Yes, 101 is pricey, but the whole country is expensive. This is not a country to visit if you are on a tight budget. We arrived at 101 quite early in the morning, and the front desk staff was wonderful and friendly. After a few minutes, they were able to give us our room early. The rooms are modern, chic, and comfortable. The bathrooms are unusual, but fine if you are comfortable with the person with whom you are sharing a room. The hotel is right in the middle of the city, within easy walking distance of restaurants, bar, shopping, etc. But one of the best bars in the city is right at the hotel. We will definitely stay at 101 the next time we are in Iceland.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank naptraveler
Reviewed October 23, 2007

I have to say, I religiously checked tripadvisor reviews of the Hotel 101, hoping to see a positive one prior to my trip in mid-August (for marathon & culture fest). I did not see one positive review.

That said, it was too late for me to back out of my reservations with Hotel 101, and I am glad I was not able to. What the hell are you people talking about? Joanna & staff were absolutely brilliant. Whether it was a free upgrade to a 45,000kr/night room (I reserved the cheapest), or assistance in getting transportation to and from some very odd places in outer Reykjavik (don't ask), to stumbling out of my room for a great meal and beautiful 'scenery' right in the lobby, Hotel 101 is first class. Not to mention the lovely rooms......

My only knocks on the place: the nightlife crowd is simply ridiculous. 101 looks like a big cement block from the outside and it could not block out the belligerents outside (only on Fri/Sat) ..........Also, because Iceland is so expensive for no good reason whatsoever, stay away from the minibar. A few things from it might come in handy, but otherwise you're better off hitting up the supermarket up the street for some basics.......and booze, well......go sit in the lobby of the hotel and order a few drinks and enjoy the beautiful people that will join you.......trust me on that.

Sure, you can cheap it in Reykjavik somewhere else. You may even stay at Hotel 1919 (a few hundred yards from the front door of Hotel 101), but I recommend Hotel 101 if you are going to Reykjavik for the nightlife and are staying in town.

Hotel 101 was the best part of my trip and the staff were simply amazing. They aren't pretentious; they are Icelandic (a bit on the shy, straightforward side). If I were to ever return, it would be because of Hotel 101.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled solo