“Enjoyable stay; very friendly service; great location”
Review of 101 hotel

101 hotel
Ranked #44 of 52 Hotels in Reykjavik
San Francisco, California
“Enjoyable stay; very friendly service; great location”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I had a wonderful experience at 101 Hotel. The staff was very friendly - they promptly answered some of my pre-departure emails/questions and assisted with directions, recommendations, reservations upon arrival. The location was excellent. I had one small lunch in the very trendy bar area and thought the food was great. Their beds/linens are quite comfortable. I agree that it is not necessarily the "luxury boutique" experience of some of the other Design Hotels I have experienced but, overall, had a wonderful stay at 101 Hotel and would definitely considering staying there during my next trip to Reykjavik.

Room Tip: Perhaps specify a quiet room if you are sensitive to street noise (I am not). You could hear some pe...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Polish first
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed August 25, 2013

There are naturally only a limited number of hotels in Iceland. This is the best of the lot! Its small, contemporary and with very attentive service. Its not NYC boutique standard, but its so much better than the alternatives. They serve good food in the funky lobby bar

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Gudleiv
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel on a stop-over to NYC. The duration of stay was two days.

I had a very pleasant experience which came at quite a high cost, but there are not so many design-hotel options in Reykjavik.

The communication with the hotel went fine and quick, all the emails were answered, and the services I had asked for were organized.

The hotel knew that we would arrive early, and the room was available for early check-in.

I was a bit disappointed at the interior design, as it looks more premium on their web-site, however the view to the harbor was wonderful. I do not think there could have been a better one.

We arrived on Sunday, maybe it is not a party day, as I have heard absolutely no noise from partying, and the noise-isolation of the rooms I find to be very good.

The breakfast was tasty, and the excursions were organized on the spot. The receptionists were good-looking but a bit cold, which is in general the case in most of the design hotels all over the world.

The room was pretty clean. As it is white-nights time, i have used an eye-mask from the minibar, and slept very well.

Room Tip: ask for a harbor view room on a high floor and far from the elevator
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AdventurerHamburg
Miami, Florida
Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is small and quaint yet very modern. The best part is the location. It's right in the heart of city center and within walking distance to almost everything. The service has also been wonderful. Everyone was very accommodating.

• Stayed August 2013
Los Gatos, California
Reviewed July 28, 2013

My wife and I and two close friends just returned from a terrific visit to this super cool country. We stayed @ The Hotel 101 the entire week and did day trips from Reykjavik. The hotel is very chic and in a great location. The staff was quite helpful. We only ate breakfast at the hotel and it was very good. For those interested there is a small work out room that works if needed. Our room was on the 5th floor with a beautiful view of the Harpa and the sea. My one minor complaint is there aren't enough hooks to hang up washed workout clothes.
When we return to Iceland which I hope to do we will likely stay at the 101

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London, England
Reviewed July 20, 2013

The hotel is very nice and well located in the centre of town, but even by Reykjavik's standards it's steep and I thought the value for money just wasn't there.

The room's are nice, but not of the standard I would expect for the price. The room I was in (407) had an odd layout and one thing that I found a nuisance was that the blinds actually don't do a particularly good job of keeping all the sunlight out, which is a problem if you're bothered by that given that Reykjavik virtually never entirely dark in the summer. And I have to say, the door's are without doubt that most poorly designed doors I have ever come across at any hotel - inexplicably difficult to open and close, which in my humble opinion are two of the most important functions of a door. I'm not generally one to mention something as banal as door design in a review but I found this so frustrating I just had to mention it.

As other reviews have said, I did find the staff to be very nice and they are definitely the best thing about the hotel. When I had a problem with my room (the duvet was for some reason wet when I arrived and obviously hadn't been dried properly after being cleaned) they were very apologetic and made sure it was dealt with efficiently, which I really appreciated.

So in summary: if it were half the price, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, but as it stands I think there are better options nearby.

One tip: if you can afford to be flexible, they offer a 20% discount for walk-ins (or they did for me anyway). Given that I had no problem finding a room at several places nearby in July, which is peak season, I would recommend doing this if you don't have your heart absolutely set on staying there and are willing to risk looking elsewhere, but keep in mind that even with the discount it is very pricy.

One final note: there is a danger you will fall in love with the receptionist. She's not the worst looking girl I've ever seen.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank RamblingRambler
Vaduz, Liechtenstein
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Unless you are going to spend your nights in Reykjavik partying all night you better do not choose the 101 hotel as you will not get much sleep because it is very noisy indeed! If you are "lucky" to have a room with a view towards the harbour you will hear the party crowd passing the hotel laughing, singing and screaming all night until approx. 5.30 am. This is when the loud cleaning machines turn up to start cleaning up the mess on the streets. In addition to the noise from the street you will notice whenever another guest on your floor enters or leaves her/his room because each door closes with a loud thunder that will surely wake you up in case you are not awake already. To me the most important feature of a hotel besides tidiness is quiteness and this is something you will not get at the 101 hotel. Besides the noise problem we had several situations where we entered or left the hotel with luggage in both hands without getting any help from the staff who watched us struggling with the entrance door of the hotel. The fact that it was not possible at all to lock my room during four days due to a system failure added somewhat to my frustration with this too expensive hotel. Definitely no value for money.

Room Tip: Better avoid the rooms with a view (towards the harbour) because these rooms are also facing the noi...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends