“Cosy, thoughtfully-equipped and welcoming”

Luna Hotel Apartments
Ranked #15 of 108 Reykjavik B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Cosy, thoughtfully-equipped and welcoming”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

We stayed for three nights in the studio flat, which was small as we expected, but as it had good storage and everything we needed in the kitchenette, we were really pleased with our good value choice. Quality tea and coffee range provided, and even pretty Nordic Christmas decorations in the apartment windows! The owner was very helpful and pointed out all the local facilities. It's in the most characterful and calm part of town and well located for easy walking to most attractions.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed in both the main location and the auxilliary location. Both apartments were comfortable and very well located. We had a lot of privacy and room. Close in to Reykjavik center. An excellent choice!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lynn M
Cork
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

We stayed six nights in a luxury one-bed apartment, which was in a separate building about two minutes walk from Spitalastigur.
Both locations are perfect - residential streets, but only seconds from the main shopping street and the town centre. There's a supermarket about one minute away, and several bakeries as well.
The Spitalastigur location is well-known to all tour companies for pick-ups/drop-offs.
Our apartment was warm (but then all apartments in Reykjavik should be with so much hot water available!) and very comfortable. It looked exactly like it did in the pics on the website.
The bed was comfortable and the apartment was well maintained - absolutely no complaints at all.
Ellert was great to deal with - he provided a dvd player when we asked, gave us plenty of maps and advice when we checked in and other than that we didn't see anyone!
Floors are wooden in the apartments, so there is a small bit of noise from about but it didn't bother us at all.
Definitely a good self-catering option in Reykjavik. If you're doing a lot of day trips, as we did, it's nice to have somewhere to unwind properly in the evenings.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CorkTouristOne
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

This was the perfect base for us during Iceland Airwaves festival. The storm was pummelling the windows outside, but this nice cosy apartment kept us warm (when we weren't in the pubs!). It was much better than a hotel - it felt like we lived in Reykjavik, nice and relaxed, and pretty affordable too. Good location - walking distance from all the action, coffee shops for breakfast just around the corner. Bakery, grocery store, 2 mins walk. Would definitely stay here again if I was going back to Reykjavik, which I will have to, as the crazy winds prevented our Golden Circle tour from going ahead. Perhaps I'll go in summer next time!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Alexa W
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

We loved our apartment at Luna. We had apartment 30 which was two bedrooms, kitchen, living space and bathroom. It was in a great location and super easy to access. Parking was available in the hood, with groceries and a bakery right nearby. This was our second time to Iceland, and I highly recommend Luna over a hotel. We had more control of our meals, could walk everywhere and hangout with either music or TV. The only drawbacks were on-and-off wireless which we could fix ourselves but a bit of an inconvenience and the back porch light that stayed on all the time for the basement suite. The light kept he back bedroom lit at night. Overall, excellent service and super easy stay. Suite was nicely set up with a full kitchen. We loved it. I could see how the apartment could be very loud with people staying above in higher season. We barely heard anyone but made an effort to be quiet for those below. Street can be a bit noisy with late-night/early morning pedestrians but that's Reykjavik no matter where you stay at street level. Will come back for sure.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Premawatti
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

Over all very good, just hot water stinks :) couse is natural heated by molten lava.
Apart that spot on, located near Main Street, not to far from most attractions or pick up point with is 5 min walk away, definetlay recommend and will come back

• Stayed October 2012
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

You really need to stay here - do not go to a hotel! Situated right in the middle of central Rekjavik, this was the perfect location for my holiday.

I went on plenty of excursions in Iceland, which involved making pick-ups of other travellers from a range of hotels around Reykjavik and none of them came close to this location - in fact, some of the big name hotels were in really lousy locations. I KNOW the guests staying there did not have as good a time as me!

I stayed in the deluxe one bedroom apartment around the corner from the main Luna Apartments building. The street is pretty unremarkable, but quiet, and the house in which the apartment is located is on a residential side street just off the main strip in Rekyjavik. Perfect.

On arrival I was greeted by the owner at the main Luna Apartments building, who was very helpful in showing me some key locations on the city map - the tourist advice centre, the main square, the main shopping/restaurant district etc. I was then taken around the corner to the building I was staying in - a two minute walk, if that.

The apartment is spacious with an open plan kitchen/lounge area - cooker/oven/fridge/washing machine. The bedroom was also large and the apartment can easily sleep two or three people as it has a double bed and a large fold-out single bed.

The bathroom is small, with a shower only, but it perfectly suited my needs - towels are changed every two days by the management.

The reason this place was so perfect is because it allowed me much more flexibility. Being able to wake up in the morning and and make myself breakfast when I wanted was so much better than going into a dining room with a bunch of other guests elbowing each other for the eggs.

Plus, I had much, much more space than I would have at a hotel, which makes everything so much more relaxing - and it was a lot cheaper than many hotels.

I also saved money when it came to food. Iceland is not a cheap place, but there are plenty of local bakeries and supermarkets - the owners were helpful in pointing out their location - and so we stocked up on basics and when we went out on day trips I made my own lunch. If you want, you could cook your own meals here as you have everything you need, but I didn't go that far. It was also really useful to have a washing machine - I got pretty muddy on some days out!

Staying in an apartment like this will certainly improve your holiday - I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends