I am very glad I chose this hotel from the list offered by IcelandAir because it was very comfortable, friendly and in an excellent location, both near the sea and the main shopping area.
I e-mailed the hotel before going to ask for a historic room and was given one. Although there are no views because there are only skylights and it is a little small, the room was lovely and perfect for a short break. The bed was really comfy, and the rest of the furniture is tasteful. There is a kettle although only paper cups and a very basic range of tea and coffee, and a keyless safe. If there is any English football on Sky or C5, this is available on one of the channels on the TV. Guests have complete control of the radiators and they are left on all day.
I read in one review that the water smelled of sulphur and this is certainly true of the hot water. However, who cares when you are having a shower in water coming directly from under the earth's surface! The cold water is lovely to drink and everywhere you go (cafes, restaurants etc), you can find jugs of it where you can help yourself.
The breakfast was fine - there is a selection of bread, cereals, cheese, cold meats, salad and fruit. There is also a waffle-maker where you can make your own waffles. On our day of departure, they made the buffet available at 4.30am so that we could have something to eat and drink before we went to the airport.
The staff are extremely friendly and helpful, from confirming trip reservations to phoning taxis to the hospital when I injured my foot. We will definitely go back there if we return to Reykjavik, which is more than likely because it's a fantastic city and like nowhere I've been before.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fosshotel Baron with its 120 rooms and apartments is a official 3 star hotel down town Reykjavik, open all year. Located only few steps away from the main shopping street and other interesting attractions in Reykjaviks city center. All rooms and apartments are equiped with shower/WC, TV and WIFI which is free in the bar and reception area. Fosshotel Baron is a family friendly hotel and offers special features for families and children. All guestrooms, restaurant and bar are non-smoking ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Cancelon, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Fosshotel Baron reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fosshotel Baron Reykjavík
- Fosshotel Baron Hotel Reykjavík