Just got back from a brilliant few days in Reykjavik. Stayed at the Baron as part of an Icelandair package.
Excellent location close to the main shopping street and also the ocean. Ideal location for seeing everything in the city. 24/7 shop round back of hotel, Dominos next door and fast food restaurant across the road.
Room was always warm and toasty. V dated furniture but I expected this from reading the reviews. Small but perfectly adequate size bedroom. Bathroom was tiny and had possibly the worst shower ever - small shower tray, fixed height shower head (shower caps were a necessity) and a shower curtain wrapped round that you had to be careful you had all of it inside the tray and stuck to the wall or you'd get water all over the floor. The shower would be better and less claustrophobic with a proper cubicle there. Hairdryer in bathroom was actually decent at drying hair.
Double bed was very comfy but very confused as to why we had a single duvet each and not a double duvet.
Only hotel I've ever stayed in where you have paper cups in your room for your tea/coffee.
TV had 3 British channels - Boomerang for kids, BBC entertainment and Sky News. Good variety but unfortunately they kept freezing so had to be reported to reception.
Really liked the view from my room as we were on the side of the hotel so could see the ocean and mountains one way and the city the other.
Couldn't fault - always very clean.
Excellent choice of breakfast - cereals, fruit, waffles, choice of breads, pastries, sausage and weird omelette as well as various cheeses, meats and fish mixtures. The juices were nice and coffees good. My other half said he would have liked to have had the option of porridge but you can't suit everyone!
The early morning breakfast (at 4.30am) was also very good. Although not as much choice as above, it was still a lot more than I expected to have at that time of the morning.
Staff were amazing - all friendly, knowledgeable with excellent English and a smile. Enjoyed being taught some Icelandic by the barman and the receptionists were excellent at sorting out trips, taxis, any problems etc
Always a jug of water on reception - very refreshing.
Happy hour in bar was good and nice to relax with a drink at the end of a long day/before you go out.
Free wifi and a computer with internet in reception.
Loads of tourism leaflets to help yourself to.
Pick up for trips/Airbus from hotel so ideal.
Unfortunately, there were two elements of our stay here that affected our enjoyment. Firstly, arriving at the bar for a nice couple of relaxing drinks before bed on Friday night, we were greeted by a large party (about 16) of people in their late teens/early 20s. Very noisy chatter, occasional singing and when a couple of the girls started screaming, I got up and left the bar straight away as I couldn't stand the noise any longer. Other guests had already downed their drinks and left too for the same reason (with a couple wishing us luck on their way out). Obviously the groups noisiness was not the hotels fault, but nevertheless, I would not return to this hotel on a weekend again if these groups are normal as our planned relaxing night was anything but. Prob just getting old but was just too noisy for a hotel bar - more suited to a normal bar/nightclub.
The other downfall of the hotel is the noisiness of the room doors when they close. We were woken several times each morning (earliest at 4.30am) by people going on trips/to the airport/etc. Just as you drift back to sleep, someone elses door will bang and then you're awake again. I myself tried to shut the door quietly as I left early this morning and it doesn't happen. If I return to this hotel, I must remember ear plugs next time to ensure I get a full nights sleep.
Overall, ok rooms, exceptional staff, excellent breakfast and location. But remember to take earplugs! The customer service, location and breakfast makes this a 4*, as without these, the hotel would be very much average.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fosshotel Baron with its 120 rooms and apartments is a official 3 star hotel down town Reykjavik, open all year. Located only few steps away from the main shopping street and other interesting attractions in Reykjaviks city center. All rooms and apartments are equiped with shower/WC, TV and WIFI which is free in the bar and reception area. Fosshotel Baron is a family friendly hotel and offers special features for families and children. All guestrooms, restaurant and bar are non-smoking ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cancelon, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Fosshotel Baron reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fosshotel Baron Reykjavík
- Fosshotel Baron Hotel Reykjavík