Open today: 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM
Review Highlights
Excellent Help Planning My Trip!

Ashley C
Mullica Hill
Made our trip to Iceland so easy, and fantastic!

LacyS35
Cincinnati, Ohio

All reviews essential iceland super jeep glacier walk jeep tour lava cave land cruiser off road hot springs highly recommend this company northern lights golden circle black sand beaches fantastic guide game of thrones icelandic mountain guides amazing experience tectonic plates
Reviewed 1 week ago

Barry from Iceland Rovers was an incredible resource when planning my recent trip to Iceland. We exchanged countless emails and he always provided me with not just amazing options but also all the information that I needed to help make the trip perfect. He made our airport transfers a breeze. He was helpful, kind, and very knowledgeable. I would definitely recommend using Iceland Rovers to help plan your entire vacation.

Reviewed 1 week ago

I used Iceland Rovers to plan my nine-day trip to Iceland in October 2018. This was the most expensive trip I've ever taken in my life, and I wanted it to be perfect. Barry and the team did not disappoint. Every experience they booked for us, and every hotel and restaurant, was perfection. Barry took so much time getting to know us and what we liked to do, and we went through several revisions on the itinerary to make sure we got to do everything we wanted to do, and got to experience as much of the country as possible.

Once we were in Iceland, Barry checked in with us daily to make sure everything was going well, and when one of our events was cancelled because of rainstorms, he worked hard to make sure we had other options and suggestions, as well as moving around some reservations for us.

I cannot say enough good things about Barry and Iceland Rovers. I wish they did travel arrangements everywhere because I would use them for every trip I take.

Reviewed September 23, 2018

We had an amazing time on our trip, and Borgthor was a fantastic guide (he lived up to the report given to me by my brother Gordon). You live in a country whose natural phenomena are majestic, grand, and strange. In some ways, the trip was actually transformative.
The top highlight--a hike we took, crossing a little river, and climbing way, way up in a canyon. But there was another canyon where we had to use a chain to hold on as we proceeded inward that was a close second.

Reviewed September 3, 2018 via mobile

The plan the Barry at up for us was fantastic! Our group of 4 - two adults with 2 boys aged 14 and 10 - are pretty seasoned travelers and we all considered this trip to Iceland the best we've ever had. Glacier hiking and kayaking were definitely highlights, but also North Atlantic Sushi Cruise, Blue Lagoon, Golden Circle, Haafell Goat Centre (where we met a goat from Game of Thrones!) and so many more sites and activities that were simply amazing to experience.

Barry took care of all the details for us from car rental to hotels to admission fees. He was attentive throughout the trip and we cannot recommend him enough.

We highly recommend this company for your Icelandic adventure.

IMGMountainGuides, Account manager at Iceland Rovers, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2018

Dear Trish,

I am so happy to have arranged this for you, knowing that you had such a wonderful time. To say that is the best trip you have ever had is very rewarding to me, and to all of us here at Iceland Rovers. I am sure that the celebrity goat is pleased you came to visit also!

Thank you so much for choosing us, and we hope to hear from you again for another adventure.

Barry

Reviewed August 11, 2018

I have recently returned from a cruise which docked at Reykjavic for just 8 hours. I had an idea of what I wanted to see whilst ashore but was disappointed that the cruise company didn't offer what I was wanting. I decided to try to pursue my aim independently and emailed Iceland Rovers. Immediately the Tour Designer, Barry Ward, contacted me and we began a series emails trying to work out what was best for my request. It was correct that what I wanted to do, ie the Golden Circle and the Blue Lagoon wasn't entirely feasible on account of my limited time. However, Barry suggested an alternative to the Blue Lagoon, more in the region of the Golden Circle Tour. I decided to go ahead.... I was met at the harbour by my guide, Borgbour. He was a very pleasant and informative young man, highly knowledgeable about not only the geography and geology of Iceland, but the history, culture, politics, economics and readily and honestly answered all the questions I asked. Also a gsoh! Though we had a rough itinerary, he was aware of my time schedule and took me to other places of interest en-route, including lunch in a tomato greenhouse. He judged the best way to make use of my time and for me to have the best experience.For example, as we approached Geysir, he decided that it was too busy for me to get the most from the visit so we returned later when it was quieter. He also factored in enough time to provide a walking tour in Reykjavic. I saw the key sights, (which delighted me as I considered that I would have to sacrifice seeing anything of Reykjavic) and we bumped into some of his family members as I took in the sights!. As a solo traveller, this 4 X 4 jeep excursion was very, very expensive. However, I justify the cost as I consider I got the tour as arranged, additional sights in the environs of the Golden Circle, a walking tour of Reykjavic (never expected), plus total individual attention and a personal introduction to all aspects of Iceland. I must also add that Barry Ward retained in very good contact with me by email from my initial enquiry to Iceland Rovers, whilst floating somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean as I approached Iceland and since my return home. An expensive, but truly memorable day.

IMGMountainGuides, Account manager - Sales at Iceland Rovers, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2018

Hi Louise,

First of all, let me thank you for getting in touch with us. It was my pleasure to arrange this for you, and I am very pleased to hear that it managed to include so much into such a short time. Borgþór will also be delighted to know that he was able to provide this experience for you, and it certainly sounds like something that is going to stay with you for a very long time. We hope that you come back to visit, perhaps with a little more time on your hands this time, and I would be delighted to help you once more out together another Icelandic adventure. For now, I hope you enjoyed the rest of your travels, and maybe we will see you again someday

Kind regards,

Barry

Reviewed May 1, 2018

We booked two day tours with Iceland Rovers. We did Volcano and Glacier Walk with Stefan as our guide and Essential Iceland with Valdi. Both guides were excellent, but very different personalities. Stefan was patient and amiable leading us on a glacier hike. After our great day with Stefan, we were disappointed that he was not our guide for day 2. But Valdi was adventurous and funny, taking us off-roading to areas we never would have seen with a less daring guide or a less capable vehicle. We couldn't have been happier as each brought their unique style and perspective to the experience. Whenever we stopped on either day, we would find tourists posing in front of the jeeps taking photos. Both guides were knowledgeable and shared their love of Iceland. The booking process was also smooth. We were attending a conference part of the week that already had some planned activities. They worked with me to ensure that we chose activities that did not overlap and that would maximize our experience. The only slight glitch was that Stefan met us in the lobby of our hotel on the 1st day, so we expected our guide to meet us there the 2nd day. When the pickup time passed, we called the office. Valdi was waiting for us at the bus stop. So we started a few minutes later, but otherwise it worked out fine.

1  Thank Ellen L
IMGMountainGuides, Guest Relations Manager at Iceland Rovers, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2018

Hello Ellen and that you for the review, it really means a lot to us to get feedback from our customers.
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your tours with Valdi and Stefán, we'll make sure to pass the message on to them.
It is true that travelling with a super jeep allows you to experience Iceland in a whole different way and you can access areas that would otherwise be off limits. We apologize for the inconsistency with the pick up places and hope it did not affect the tour itself.
We hope to see you again soon on another adventure.

Íris

Reviewed April 22, 2018 via mobile

After paying almost 500 USD for a volcano and glacier tour that I was very excited about, waiting over an hour for the pick up shuttle, and calling the office multiple times, I receive a call saying that the driver left me due to a miscommunication. Not only did this happen on my last day of my trip but it completely killed the mood of my trip. I would 100% recommend any other booking service for tours because Iceland Rovers definitely screwed me.

IMGMountainGuides, Director of Sales at Iceland Rovers, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2018

Hello Anthony A and thank you for your review.

I am very sorry about what happened and apologize for the inconvenience.

This unfortunate incident was caused by a booking error on our part. We started using a new booking system recently and for some reason, your booking was not transferred to the new system. Since this incident came up we have checked all our bookings again and implemented a protocol to prevent this from happening again.

After receiving your call in the morning, we started immediately to try to find a solution. That took some time and was unfortunately not successful.

As I said before, this was a mistake on our part and we have of course issued a full refund for the tour.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience.

We really appreciate your feedback and if there is anything else, questions or comments, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly at bardi@mountainguides.is

Barði Theódórsson
Director, Sales and Service department

Reviewed November 27, 2017

We booked this tour before arriving in Iceland. It is very expensive. While we personally liked the guide (whom we believe was the owner), the weather was terrible. When they picked us up they said they would do their best to get us to the best place to see the lights right up till the tour end. But this was not true. After the dinner (see more on that), instead of taking us to an area where we might have seen the Northern Lights, they detoured us through a higher elevation closer to the coast pass where there was zero visibility, snow and dangerous roads. Then they dropped us off more than an hour and a half early. Clearly, they just wanted to end the tour early by taking us through the worst conditions so that we'd agree not to go on. Had they taken us more inland and north (for which there was plenty of time for) we probably would have seen the lights. Other tours did see the lights the same night. Before we headed that way, the other driver (we were two jeeps travelling together) asked why we were taking that route with the weather being like it was, but was overruled by the other driver. There was absolutely nothing to see by taking the more dangerous route. Part of the package is a "lobster" dinner (it's really prawn, not lobster) at a restaurant with a hostile keeper who wants you to buy more expensive items, like drinks. So, the tour is locked into heading south first. The value of the dinner was outrageously poor costing many more times the value. This is the worst experience we've had abroad. We truly felt stupid spending so much money. If you want lobster, go to a restaurant in the marine district. If you want a tour of the lights, take the most popular one. Spend whatever you save on another tour.

IcelandRovers, Manager at Iceland Rovers, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2018

Hi Maryland54,

Thank you for your feedback regarding the Lobster & Northern Lights tour that you went on with us. While we understand your frustration about not viewing the Northern Lights that night, we do state in the tour description that the Northern Lights are a natural phenomenon and they might not appear in the area where we drive for this tour. The tour description also includes a map and itinerary that points out that this tour drives along the south of Iceland.

Our driver guides have decades of experience driving in all weather conditions in Iceland. Their modified cars are well equipped for driving in snowy and stormy conditions. We put safety first and our guides would not drive onto a road or in a direction that they felt was dangerous. Regarding your lobster dinner, we agree that the lobsters are different than the typical large American lobsters that some people have eaten. This type of lobster you had in Iceland is called a langoustine. It is smaller but it has a sweeter taste. We include this in the description of the tour, along with photos of the langoustine. We apologize if it wasn’t clear that your dinner doesn’t include the typical lobster you have encountered.

We are truly sorry that the tour did your meet your expectations. We are happy to offer you a 20% refund for the tour. Please contact us at info@icelandrovers.is to redeem your refund.

All the best,
Monika
Director of Iceland Rovers

Reviewed November 16, 2017

We have now travelled to Iceland twice using Iceland Rovers. Planning was simple. I described the travelers, the kind of experiences we wanted to have and they took it from there. They designed an itinerary, worked with us to modify it and handled all the details.
Once on the ground, our guide was incredibly nimble when bad weather forced changes. We loved travelling with them.

Reviewed October 24, 2017 via mobile

Took this adventure today, I am so grateful it did not get cancelled since I was the only one signed up, luckily another couple was able to join me and there were 3 of us plus our guide Vaddir. He picked me up as I was walking to the bus stop and we grabbed the other couple and headed out. I had no idea what to expect, the weather was perfect so we headed to the volcano Eyjafjallajökull, we took the modified vehicle and drove up the glacier/volcano to the top, it was extraordinarily beautiful, a sight not to be missed, he then walked us further up to a higher point and took our pictures, we drove back down and stopped at Seljalandsfoss and walked behind it, then we went to Skógafoss. After a brief stop there we headed over to another where we strapped on crampons and harnesses and did a brief glacier hike. Since we were done fairly early he took over to the black sand beaches and we took the vehicle right onto the beach, it was amazing. Vaddir was a great guide and kept the conversation going. I would definitely recommend this to anyone waiting something a little different while in Iceland.