“Mixed experience”

Hotel Vik Arctic Comfort
Ranked #42 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Beds were comfortable, breakfast was ample and the price was reasonable. The only two reasons I've opted for three rather than four stars are:

1. The glass-walled en-suite of the cheapest double bedroom is basically IN the room, so if you're not in an intimate long-term relationship with the person you're sharing with it's pretty awkward.

2. An Icelandic choir singing in the corridors during the wee hours was more than a little bizarre and kept us up.

The second one is, probably, a one-off sort of thing though.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Thomas P

Reviewed July 29, 2013

The rooms are clean and large and HOT (but lacking blackout curtains - which is a problem in the summer - also there is someone who likes to practice the drums in the middle of the night who lives nearby). The hotel is also in a strange part of town (far from downtown) where no restaurants are open past 16:00. We arrived late at night and had to lug our heavy suitcases upstairs, with no help from the staff (no elevator!). The staff also seemed generally unaware of how hotels should operate and were pretty unhelpful. Next time I will bite the bullet on price and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank vashka0310
Reviewed July 26, 2013

This was one of the worst hotel stays I've had. The staff was extremely rude and unpleasant. When we checked in they had difficulty finding our reservation and gave us attitude about it even though it was their fault. They finally gave us keys to our rooms and upon entering them, there were still people sleeping in them and using the restroom! The staff seemed surprised that there were people in them, but you would think that's there job to keep track of who checks in and out...clearly not. We had to wait 2 hours to get into our rooms, which were still not very clean. We came back to the hotel after a week of hiking and the room we got was much more spacious than our previous one even though we paid the same price. The hotel was also far from downtown. The only redeeming qualities were the breakfast and the wifi. I would not stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank amias62
Reviewed July 25, 2013

This hotel is situated a fair distance from downtown Reykjavik, but was a reasonable price for the stay. The room we had was great; spacious and clean, exactly what I like in a hotel room. However, this isn't a typical hotel with a nice front lobby, etc.

We stayed here just after arriving in Iceland and it would have been nice to be able to talk to someone in the lobby about where to dine, how to get downtown, etc. However, the reception we received was mediocre at best, and the couple of times we checked no one was at the reception desk altogether.

The hotel was sufficient for our stay, but I'd probably go for a higher quality hotel or something closer to downtown (unless you don't mind 15-20 minute walks or figuring out the bus system.)

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chris W
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I shouldn't complain, because we got our room for very good price, but still here is my opinion. :-)
The mediterran receptionist was not very friendly with me, only with my husband. Hmm.. It was not a good start for me. Then we had to go out of the building and walk to the next corner, where our room was. At the morning do the same walk if you want to eat breakfast, coz that just next to the reception. It's a little bit un'comfort'able. The room was big, but not very nice. The breakfast is poor. View to another building. A little bit far from the centre. But still everything is OK. Especially for that price what we paid. Thank you for it! :-)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hungarian t
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Stayed here with my husband for 5 nights in March. Parking outside of the hotel and wi-fi included in price. Those were the good points. The hotel was grubby, and hotel services folded duvets and emptied the bins everyday, other wise nothing. Didn't expect cups etc washed as there is a sign stating you do this your self, and quite happy to hang towels up and reuse them. However, it would be nice if the bathroom could have been cleaned, that is usual in a hotel. The room was dingy, and bunk beds (which we didn't need or want) made it quite cramped. I wouldn't stay there again, glad to leave.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank MrsMinerva
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We took a school party to Iceland (22 students) & 2 staff and spent 4 nights here. This hotel is great for a school party as it is quite basic but it is clean and the rooms are spacious. The staff are helpful. Breakfasts are adequate with cereal, toast, waffles, cheeses, meats & preserves on offer - no-one complained which is a miracle with 22 students! I would recommend this hotel for a school trip or if you are on a budget - but if I was to visit Iceland on my own or with my family I would want to be closer to the centre of Reykjavik as this hotel is quite a long distance away from the centre - too far to walk really. I would also want more luxury - definitely not for you if you like luxury.

Room Tip: Ask if there are any school parties staying and if so ask to be as far away as possible from them as...