“Fusion seafood done to perfection”
Review of Rub23 - CLOSED

Rub23
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Rub23 is an Icelandic restaurant that uses ingredients from Icelandic fishermen and farmers . Ingenuity from Asia and America. We specialize in seafood and have a wide variety of fish species and a wide selection of sushi dishes mixed with steaks and desserts.What makes the restaurant unique both in Iceland and internationally is the varied way in which the menu is put together, including homemade spice mixtures that customers can choose from, the so-called RUB. RUB has become a well known term for spice mixtures that are either put onto or rubbed into food, as the name indicates. The customer can first choose a particular ingredient, for example a special type of fish or meat and then choose from a list of spice mixtures those he wishes to try. On the menu one can find favorite combinations of the chefs.
Reviewed November 8, 2013

The seafood I had was amazing. I had lobster and dumplings with xo and my main was the seafood plate with 5 variety of fish cook to perfection. Best seafood I've had for along time and I had to come to Reykjavik Iceland for it. Great ambience with mood lighting and feel more up market. You have to try it if you love raw fish and fresh seafood with Japanese influence as they have sushi as well.

1  Thank crusty8

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Saturday night in Reyjkavik with no booking and after trying several,places without joy my wife spotted this place which is a bit hidden as in a basement. We went in and were seen to straightaway. We ordered drinks and our food, drinks came with a pot of crispy noodles which were really tasty.

We then waited quite a while for our starters and was starting to get a bit narked but they did come and were really good. I had sashimi which was good and fresh whilst the wife had the tempura lobster maki which was so good I tasted none! Tip she had a half portion and it was huge..

Now once we'd finished our plates were cleared and within 2 minutes our mains were ready, so the wait was at the beginning and not between courses which I think is professional and exactly the way it should be I hate having eaten my starter then having to wait eternity for main course so big thumbs up for a very well run kitchen. Mains were steak with pepper and cod with Asian rub, however the steak was very underdone (blue)but this was our fault we hadn't specified how we like it but was taken away and fixed with good grace. Must mention the meat was really well seasoned and vegetables delicious,

We then had excellent coffee and felt the bill was more than fair given the quality and it being Reyjkavik after all. Good atmosphere too, the staff were all very good at their jobs which is not always the case so highly recommended all round.

1  Thank Tim C
Reviewed October 21, 2013

There are two Rub 23 one in Akureyri and the other in Reykjavík. We decided to do a vertical taste testing over two evenings. The names and menus are the same. The menu is unique; you pick an item and then from a matrix choose how it is cooked, prepared, and seasoned. Oh by the way, the staff is more than happy to make just about any change you wish.

Now on to the best part----The Food.

In Iceland you eat fish or lamb so we ordered several different sushi appetizers,. and a fish and lamb entree. We chose the same dishes at both restaurants.

Excellence starts at the front door with a warm sincere greeting and continues through the entire evening with a wait staff that is knowledgeable, attentive, and with a genuine interest in meeting your needs.

All food was superb everything was cooked and seasoned to perfection and beautifully presented. In both cases the lamb was the best we have had since Tekapo, NZ.

Which location is better, they are different in how the dishes were prepared and absolutely superb. The result is we could not reach a preference of one over the other. Two outstanding restaurants.

You have to try both!

Reviewed September 25, 2013

This restaurant was hands down the priciest of all the eateries we visited, but also the BEST! Great service, ambiance and FOOD.

Ate there multiple times on our visit and will be sure to return!

Reviewed September 25, 2013

I ordered what they call catfish but it is not North American cat fish. It has a beautiful sweet taste. However, it came covered in some sauce that detracted from the taste. You can do better than this.