Arrived after a few days travelling from the Far East of Iceland and booked a 'deluxe double with balcony' as a treat. I had high expectations given how highly this place has been rated by others. I couldn't have been more disappointed. They don't tell you when you book that :
1) they are extending it so beware, you are right next to a building site. I don't think they expect to finish until sometime in 2015.
2) consequently the car parking is either on street or a hike away on what looks like waste land ( no secure parking option) - and dream on if you expect to get any offers of help to load/unload your bags from your car (or for valet parking).
3) the interior decor is nice but the outside of the hotel is straight 1970's concrete and pebble dash.
4) the deluxe room was tiny and the bathroom smaller still. Worse the bathroom doesn't have a proper wall - it makes do with opaque glass that isn't quite opaque enough. Furthermore the shower has a curtain rather than a glass so you get that horrible nylon 'stickiness '.
5) breakfast, a substantial extra cost, is pretty basic. No pastry options and very limited fresh fruit ( they ran out if pineapple one morning before I could grab any).
6) the rooms could be better soundproofed - there were kids next door to us who made a racket until quite late.
I could forgive all of the above in a different price bracket, but at the price I paid and given the other positive reviews I really expected much better.
There must be better options for you to choose if you are heading to Reykjavik.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Marina, steps from downtown Reykjavik, is situated in a completely renovated four-story building that has become a landmark among local residents. It is located next to the historical, and still fully functioning, dry-dock called Slippur. With an emphasis on blending the dynamic, creative atmosphere of this rapidly developing district with the country's strong fishing traditions, the Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Marina offers everyone the opportunity to see and experience the capital at its most creative and colorful. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Agoda, Hotels.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelsforEveryone and Evoline ltd so you can book your Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Marina reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.