“Super duper hotel.”

Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Marina
Ranked #17 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Visited for 1 week in November 2012 on honeymoon. Upgraded to a fourth floor balcony room for very reasonable price. Staff excellent and organised all trips for us including golden circle, northern lights, transport there and back. The breakfast wasn't included, but we ate there in the morning - beautiful dining room and food excellent. Couldn't fault this hotel. Would highly recommend and we will be back.

Room Tip: Upgrade to fourth floor balcony room for great views across the harbour to the hills not on the road...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Eva R

Reviewed October 31, 2013

Everything about my experience here was thoroughly good. Helpful, relaxed reception staff. Fabulous furbishment, comfy bed and linen, excellent shower and hair dryer. Only stayed for a night and unfortunately had to leave before breakfast, but large selection of things to grab on the go. Pick-up for the Fly-Bus was arranged for free. Even had a free upgrade to a superior room. This is definitely where I'll be coming back next time I'm in Reykjavík.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank K P
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I have often visited the bar and admired the common spaces on the ground floor. The hotel is close to the harbor within walking distance to downtown and all the shops/restaurants that the harbor had to offer.
This was my first time staying there but had a pretty good knowledge of the hotel.
I was able to check into my room as soon as I arrived - it helped that I was communicating with staff prior to my visit. The room was just what I need for my 2 days stay. Everything was clean, cozy and modern. The bed was perfectly made and welcoming. During my visit, the hotel was quiet and guests were very respectful of each other. The staff were also respectful and friendly!
Breakfast was bountiful with a large variety to choose from. There are multiple places to lounge when you feel the need to leave your room and see people.
I would definitely stay here again and most definitely recommend this hotel.

Nice Job to the staff for a job well done!!!

Room Tip: Ask for an ATTIC room with a view of the harbor. You can experience the sunset behind the mountain...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Out C
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for two nights in December 2012 on my way to New York. The airline fare was cheaper if you stopped over so I though why not. I am so glad I did. I stopped for a couple of hours at The Blue Lagoon on my way into Reykjavik from the airport. This is very easy to book with one of the airport transfer companies. A great introduction to Iceland. I was very impressed with the hotel. It is very quirky and everywhere you turn there is something that makes you smile. The staff were incredibly friendly on check in. I was given a room looking out over the boat yard which I loved. My room was warm and very comfortable. The shower was great and I really liked the modern fresh feel to the place. Breakfast was a real treat with so many different options to choose from. I had dinner one night and thoroughly enjoyed my meal. I thought it was great value for the quality offered. The bar was buzzing and seems to be the place to be seen in Reykjavik. Most of the clientèle appeared to be local which says alot. I took the Golden Circle Tour the next day - it gives you a great sample of the country.
There was a unique quality with everything I experienced in Iceland. I have just booked again to return in January ( once again the flights with Iceland Air were cheaper if you stop over ) for 3 nights this time. My girlfriend is joining me this time and I cant wait to show her some of the sights and the incredible Icelandic hospitality.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank TeamAtGlenburnie
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We stayed 2 nights in early September and enjoyed the great location. It is waking distance into town and a lot of the town's attractions. The tour companies stop at the hotel or you can easily walk to the square and pick up the tour buses saving you some time.
The hotel is located right at the marina and our room had a great view of the harbour. The room was quite large by European standards and certainly matched any big chain hotel in North America. The lobby is warm and inviting with a fireplace that you can sit by and relax with a drink.
On one of our tours 2 young ladies (20 something) asked where we were staying and when we told them, their immediate reply was "oh! that is the hotel with the best bar in town". Since we were traveling as a family we did not have first hand knowledge of that part of the hotel but I can certainly say that the restaurant and breakfast that was served was great as was the service. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Choose the Harbour view if possible.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank LovetoTravel33_11
Reviewed October 23, 2013

This is my last of 3 nights here, and I'm sitting in the "library" area of the downstairs' lobby, in a cozy little nook with comfortable couch and chairs. Adjacent to this seating is a larger reception area, where there's a little round fireplace and a lot of comfortable seating. If you walk farther into the hotel, you'll come across the restaurant, Slippbarinn, which has very good-to-excellent food (I've eaten there two nights and it was quite good each time).

The overall assessment of this hotel is that it's a bit odd, but I've gotten kind of used to that in Iceland. The hotel is a repurposed building; it used to be a paint factory, and now Icelandair's gotten their hands on the space and renovated it in a kind of nautical motif, since it overlooks a boatyard.

Now, boatyards are not romantic, nor are they quiet, so if you're looking for romance and/or quiet, I'd suggest you find someplace else. The rooms are modern, functional, Ikea-esque. The bed in my room, which is very comfortable, is nonetheless pushed up against a wall, so if you have more than one adult sleeping in it, one of you is going to have to shove all the way over and then have to do the same to go to the bathroom or get up in the morning. In other words, there are economies taken with the decor and with the space, although my room is well-laid out and uses the area well, except for the odd bed configuration.

Then there's the shower/bathroom. The new thing to do, I've noticed, is conjoin one's toilet/sink area with the shower, so that the water gets on the floor of both, leading to a lot of slippery floors. Quite honestly, the bathroom is the biggest hurdle in this otherwise clever use of an old paint factory. The sink is so tiny there isn't enough room to bend into it to wash one's face, and the floor of the shower is way too slippery to be anything but dangerous if you're not paying attention. It would be nice to have somewhere to put one's shower extras, like soap, for example. The hotel provides a liquid soap in a bottle affixed to the wall of the shower, for which I thank them, since it's very good, organic, local stuff (it's so good I bought my own at an apotek) but one needs more than soap, and there's nowhere to put it except the floor.

This is a great hotel for parents with kids; it's clean, open, with friendly staff, very few tiny things kids can break, and if you're a kid, or a ship lover, being this close to a shipyard is going to seem like a good thing. However, if you want to sleep, and you get a marina view, be aware that the shipyard opens at some ungodly hour, like 7:30 or something, and revelers outside your window(s) are likely to be walking by until the wee hours. Last night the outside noise dropped off around midnight or so, and the shipyard will be functioning a mere 7 hours later.

Speaking of windows, I have one tiny one that opens, and if this were summer, I suspect that, no matter how windy it gets here at the harbor, I'd have to ask for another room, since I have it wide open, and it's quite cold outside most of the time. Great views from the marina side, of course, and one wants to see them, since you can see over to the mountains on the other side of the bay. The ship yard is very colorful and provides a very interesting foreground to Iceland's natural beauty. I can even see down to the Harpa building from my room. The other morning, I caught a glorious 8:30 a.m. sunrise (the sun is rising later and later this time of year).

The marina area is in the process of being refurbished, and I just visited the new Aurora Borealis exhibit tonight,which is a five minute walk from here, past a lot of construction of a new block of apartments. Life of Whales is directly downstairs and across the street, with its whale-watching ship Andrea, which I took the other day (didn't see any whales, sadly). There are many restaurants in the area, but the one I've found that's best so far is Slipbarinn, which is attached to the hotel. They have a great ambience, as well, very casual (as is the whole hotel) but comfortable and chic. They serve lunch as well as dinner, and I have liked everything I've had on the menu so far.

The restaurant is also where breakfast is served in the mornings. It is a great breakfast, although if I weren't lazy, I'd go a few blocks into downtown and get a less expensive breakfast. It is convenient, however, and the offerings are better for you, and there's more choice, than in most hotels I've been in recently. Presumably because it's run by Icelandair, you do get the sense that they're more than prepared for mass-produced experiences for crowds. They handle crowds well; there was a cocktail competition here in the lobby last night, but I'm not sure how hotel guests are supposed to work around some of these kinds of hotels, that are trying to expand their market base by offering various goods or services to the entire community, rather than focusing on being a hotel. Sitting down here last night, for example, would not have been possible, nor would it have been pleasant if I'd tried; it was noisy and packed with cocktail-drinkers.

However, when this place is fairly quiet, these little areas scattered throughout the large lobby are more like being at your own pub or favorite coffee hangout, where you go to use internet and have something to eat or drink. The whole hotel has a great ambience, is very comfortable, is very casual, and is best for families and people with a sense of humor, since there are some very funny, quirky touches here, that make this hotel a good representative of the Icelandic sense of humor.

Room Tip: Ask for a harbor/marina view if you want to see the harbor, but be warned that there's noise fro...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Alison G
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I stayed here with my teenage son on a 3 night trip. A very good base for us - quite hip and an excellent breakfast (fortunately included in our price). Contrary to other people's experiences we had an very good 'deluxe' room overlooking the harbour (definitely request that). Compact but not small, the room's theme was knots - which we both thought was quite fun. I liked the location and it was very quiet. Wifi was everywhere. I would have liked a kettle in my room but hot water was free downstairs so I could make my own black tea (I may sound like a saddo but Iceland is very expensive - you practically need a second mortgage to eat at the Blue Lagoon). I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms overlooking the harbour not the road
Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family