“Great location”

Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Marina
Ranked #14 of 52 Hotels in Reykjavik
“Great location”
Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

Was there for new year and its the best hotel I've stayed in in Iceland after 6 visits. Great location, staff and well maintained. The bathroom was not to my taste - the door does not close properly and the glass next to the toilet is not my idea of privacy but perhaps that was just one room. Great atmosphere and parking for the hire car was free. I'd recommend it.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank neildj1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (669)
  • Finnish first
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We stayed in this hotel from the 28th December to the 2nd January as we wished to see in the New Year in Reykjavik. We checked in at about 2 am after a very snowy journey from the airport - and were pleased to find a parking space (with no cost) right by the side of the hotel. Despite the early morning check in the reception staff were very helpful. The rooms are small and boutique style but have an excellent shower, comfy settee and great beds. Also, as needed during a winter Reykjavik stay, the central heating is highly effective. The hotel is a recent conversion from a previous Paint factory- it looks superb and the communal areas have a very homely feel. The location is good with great views of the harbour and the Helga Maria boat in dry dock. There are some nearby bars - download the appy hour app which tells you when the local hotels/bars have their happy hour-£2 a pint! The walk to the centre is about 5 mins which is fine and also means that the rooms were fairly quiet.

We paid extra for the breakfast which was fairly expensive and the breakfast area is quite small so was often crowded. The other main issue was the boutique style bathroom - you would only use the bathroom if you were a couple with a sense of humour. The sliding door to the bathroom doesn't fit flush with the frame leaving a 3 cm gap through which you could watch the tv whilst in said room if you so wished! There is also a small circular hole in the door (I'm sure some of you could think of a very crude name for said gap) instead of a door handle. As is common with boutique hotels the windows are frosted. It's just a bit impractical - you feel the need to turn the tv on loud so you don't hear things you don't want to from the bathroom and if you do need the bathroom in the middle of the night you wake your partner as you turn the light on. Design over practicality.

But on the whole, a great hotel!

2 Thank Jonathan M
ldn
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We stayed at this hotel from 24th Dec-28th Dec. Great hotel, the staff at reception were very good especially Seaphor - he gave us fab advice on things to do during our stay. Two major disappointments during our stay.
1. We didn't get to see the northern lights, which to be fair is luck of the draw.
2. When we booked the hotel they didn't mention that everything in Iceland shuts down from noon on 24th Dec until 26th Dec. This unfortunately was a huge problem as we struggled to rent a car upon arrival, find places to eat and a lot of the tours were not running. If the hotel had advised us of this we would most definitely have altered our travel dates. Given that we were only staying for five days, the fact that everything was shut for three of them was a real shame...

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I liked this hotel quite a lot. It was very nice and modern. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We had to move rooms during our stay and the nice young guy at the front desk helped us move our luggage. I think this hotel is in a fantastic location, only a 5 or 10 minute walk to the city center.

The first room we got was the smallest type of room you can get. It was pretty small, but was fine as we didn’t spend much time in the room. The only weird thing was the bed was wedged into a little nook and was surrounded by 3 walls, you could only get on or off the bed from one side, which was annoying because I had to climb over my husband to get up. The bed and pillows were comfy and there was a flat screen with a few English channels..... not many though. The bathroom was small but big enough. The room has a hair dryer and some soap/shampoo. I would bring your own toiletries as there is no conditioner or lotion.... Our first room was located just above the entrance for the bar, which is very busy and people go outside to smoke so it can get very noisy – bring ear plugs. At one point I took my ear plugs out in the middle of the night and I could not believe how loud it was! I would not have slept had it not been for my ear plugs and my review might have been different.
Our second room was much bigger and you could access the bed from both sides! Also, it was further from the bar and much quieter!

The free breakfast was AMAZING! Supper yummy! They had yogurts, fruits, cereals, breads, eggs, meats and potatoes and the most delicious kinds of smoked salmon I’ve ever had! It was a great way to start the day!

If I return to Reykjavik, I would stay here again for sure. Also just down the street is the most popular ‘restaurant’ in Iceland... its a hotdog stand, and the dogs are great! Get one with all the fixins! Iceland is an amazing country – I will be back someday 

Room Tip: Ask for a room FAR away from the bar.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Tamdude
New York
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed over Christmas week and found the hotel lovely. It has a very nice bar and lobby space that has made it a popular night spot. Location is very nice; quiet yet an easy walk to everything. The only thing I would warn people is regarding the room accommodations. We stayed in Suite 6 which the website explains accomodates up to 6 people. We were a party of 3 and found the quarters very tight. It was really just a regular room with king size bunkbeds and a small sleeper sofa. No closets, just cubbies and a very bathroom smaller than a cruise ship's. That said, I would stay there again in a heartbeat. The staff was absolutely wonderful and could not do enough for us. They (as opposed to a room we barely saw anyway) made the stay the memorable experience that it was!

Room Tip: Rooms are small with very limited storage space and closets. Bear that in mind if you are more than...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank globetrotterfromny
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We had a great experience at the Marina Hotel. The service at the reception desk was stellar-- everyone was very knowledgable, friendly and helpful. Don't overlook the hotel restaurant! We had Christmas Eve dinner there because everything else was closed, and we're so glad we did! Amazing calamari, grilled fish and seafood soup.
The decor was fun and modern in both the lobby and the room. Really comfortable beds and excellent housekeeping service made for a great four night stay! The shower was tiny but nice and hot, with an optional rain shower head (very welcome after a frigid day outside).
The only downsides were lack of privacy in the bathroom (the door didn't completely close) and peculiar parking situation (you couldn't pull right up to the entrance, meaning we had to drag our suitcases through the snow, and there weren't many parking spaces). It was a bit of a walk to get to the city center, but as New Yorkers, we didn't mind that. The location was also much quieter than more central parts of the city, which was a bonus.
We would definitely stay here again and are already planning our next trip to Reykjavik!

2 Thank hdcpnyc
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel from the 21st-24th December 2012. From the moment we arrived at the hotel the service was fantastic. We were given the standard room which yes they are slightly small but we were upgraded to the 4th Floor to the attic rooms and I would definitely recommend these rooms it is worth the extra cost! I particularly loved the design an quirkyness of the hotel my husband and I stayed in a few nights to have a drink at the bar(which you must book in advance it is very busy!) and loved sitting by the open fire. The hotel reception are excellent and nothing is too much a special thank you must go to 'Birgir' and 'Johanna' for their service and attention to the guests.
The location is excellent a short walk into town and staying by the Marina provides some breathtaking views. Near the hotel are some understated restaurants be sure to go to the lobster pot best lobster soup and fish I have ever had even the whale!

What I would recommend that if booking with Iceland airlines that you do not need to include the packages or excursions at the time of booking. Once you get to Iceland and have a feel for the place you can then book your excursions with Reykjavik excursions with the hotel its very easy and you will be looked after!

On the whole I can honestly say that I have not stayed in such a wonderful hotel it is defiantly up there with the best if you are planning to stay in Iceland I would recommend you stay here!

Room Tip: I would recommend the attic rooms we had the corner room with a balcony and although it faced the st...
3 Thank Spicyn_2000