“New, phantastic downtown Reykjavik Hotel”

Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Marina
Ranked #17 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Looking out of my window at the new Icelandair Hotel Marina in downtown Reykjavik while writing this, enjoying the great view over the marina and the mountains across the bay. So much enjoying my stay. The hotel is new and I truly recommend it for your stay in Reykjavik. The design is unique, witty, playful and still functional, creating a very warm, homy atmosphere. Rooms vary in size, but are comfortable and cosy, too. The staff is very helpful, communicative, always eager to make your stay a pleasant one. Food is great, breakfast , lunch and dinner, healthy choices with local ingrediences, prepared and presented on top level. Plus, the bar is the place where locals and visitors mingle. Love the atmosphere. Will be back!

Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Ute Z

Reviewed May 16, 2012

Just got back from a three night stay in the Reykjavik Marina and had a lovely stay.
The hotel is positioned right in the harbour with boats literally at the entrance. It wasnt as picturesque as I imagined but it worked in a quirky way. Inside,the hotel was much smaller than I imagined but again,really quirky and cosmopolitan. At night,the bar seemed to attract quite a lot of businessmen/women and had quite a cosmopolitan crowd so I presume its the new Reykjavik hangout. The gym was tiny,especially against the pictures on the website,but me and my boyfriend werent planning on using that anyway,lol
We stayed in a double room on the 3rd floor with the harbour view. Room was smaller than the architect pictures made it out to be again but was clean,simple and funky. The view we had was great,we could see the mountains and we also had a huge ship (which was being renovated) right outside our window. Beds were really comfy but we had twin beds pushed together with two single duvets which were a little on the small side,a double would have been much nicer. Our bathroom/wet room was a good size and very clean,however the wall and door were frosted glass with a gap around the door,and the door handle was just a hole which meant we could easily see into the bathroom. Looked nice but wasnt really practical,especially if you like a little privacy. This let the room down a little as did the fact that there werent any tea/coffee making facilities,bit disappointing.
We had breakfast only once in the hotel. I was expecting it to be really nice going by previous reviews,and it was nice,but nothing special and way too expensive,I would recommend eating out instead. We also ordered two drinks from the bar one evening..again,way too expensive!
Overall,the hotel was lovely and very quirky! A great place to stay if youre looking for something a little different/modern/hip. Location was perfect,taking only five minutes (if that) to reach either the centre or coastline and the staff were friendly,especially the two men who covered the nightshift :)

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KIoannou
Reviewed May 14, 2012

My check-in date was Saturday,21 April,which was just two days after the hotel's opening.There were still a few minoe things that were still being worked on,but nothing that disrupted my stay in any way.
Since I arrived early on a Saturday morning after an overnight flight,I was hoping to be able to check in right away and hopefully get a brief nap in before a whale watching tour in that afternoon.I was fortunate to be able to get into my room right away and relax on a very comfortable bed for an hour or so.The room seemed a bit on the small side,but it was very clean and comfortable.Being in Iceland for the first time I had not planned on spending much time in the room anyway.
The hotel's location is perfect for any trips origionating from the harbor.I had less than a two minit walk to the whale watching boat.It is also just a short walk to many restaurants and shops in the city center.Harpa is also less than ten minits away on foot.All the tours that I booked during my stay picked me up at the hotel as well.
The hotel bar was quite lively each night.The one drawback that I found was the menu selection during the evening.I did not find anything to suit my taste,but many others seemed to enjoy what was offered.Since there are so many other choices of resturants so close by,finding a good meal was never an issue.I will say that the breakfast buffet was fantastic.
The staff was very friendly and helpfull.They are also quite interesting to talk to.I had a few good conversations with the staff at the bar in particular.
I would most certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Half the rooms face a street,but the noise level is minimal.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Ray G
Reviewed May 14, 2012

This is a really nice new hotel, beautifully converted from a harbourside painting establishment to a characterful hostelry. The whole place is bang up-to-date from the large flat screen TVs to the contactless bedroom key system. All the staff we met were extremely friendly and more than helpful. Food is modern Scandinavian, and, as others have mentioned the breakfast spread is great. There is a limited dinner menu but what we had was well cooked and good value for the area. The position by the waterside is enviable and convenient for most places, especially the astounding new concert hall and conference centre, Harpa, which all visitors to Reykjavik should be sure to visit.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ibadan
Reviewed April 30, 2012

Location is perfect – almost downtown and near shopping, nightlife and restaurants. The staff was also very good and the breakfasts were my best meals in Iceland.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Karl E
Reviewed April 28, 2012

This is a brand new hotel with a great central location on the harbor. We had a large room with a view of the harbor. There is a library with many books about Iceland that are in English. You can walk to many of the popular restaurants and attractions. Breakfast is the usual yummy European buffet and the bar also serves great food (try the cod pizza).
The staff was very friendly.

Room Tip: harbor view
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank anovavacationer
Reviewed April 27, 2012

We leave this night after a few days at the brand new Icelandair Reykjavík Marina. The hotel is located just a few minutes walk from the city center. The location is quite interesting since the backside of the hotel is just facing the dry dock. So you have a view of Mount Esya and the snow covered mountains in the distance and the everyday work of a harbour dry dock at the same time. Nice contrast which ads to the fancy and stylish interior design and the decoration of the modern rooms. Additionally we can say that the breakfast is excellent, although the price is a bit high (@ 2300 ISK per person). But the all over conclusion: excellent location. Recommended!

Room Tip: Ask for harbour view if you would like to see Mount Esya and the Harbour – and if you don't like...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple