TripAdvisor
Post
Inbox
Search
Review Highlights
Fantastic photo workshop and guide

It’s been a week since I returned from their 8 day summer workshop and I’m still buzzing over this... read more

Reviewed August 16, 2019
joelaynophoto
Milton, Canada
Kathleen Croft-Pjotographer

I met Kathleen Croft in Scotland in 2017; We became friends and even though I did not have the... read more

Reviewed August 8, 2019
Adventurer763020
Michigan Center, Michigan

All reviews hrifunes guesthouse photo workshop shutter speed tour leader weather conditions great shots small group the entire trip day tour northern lights hawk hobby tripod shooting aurora terrain vehicle
Selected filters
Reviewed March 4, 2019

Once again this company delivers exceptional service. The Lake Baikal tour was well thought out and well managed. Anton the tour leader was attentive throughout and Alexander and his daughter Anastasia were considerate and very skilled at their jobs. The group size was perfect and we had some amazing experiences.

Date of experience: February 2019
Reviewed January 24, 2019

We travelled around with Tryggvi Mar Gunnarsson for 4 days of breathtaking photography opportunities. Tryggvi quickly recognized our interests and tailored our tour accordingly. Being a teacher, photographer and tour guide means that Tryggvi has so much knowledge and he is excited to share. Our trip to Iceland lived up to all of our expectations made even better by Tryggvi with Iceland Photo Tours. Four days was not nearly enough.

Date of experience: October 2018
Reviewed November 14, 2018

I found Haukur's company and tours though a random websearch. His photos spoke to me and I had a "gut" feeling that his tour was the one for me. My instincts were bang on. Haukur knew where to take our group for great photos and the best light. One some days it was rare to see another vehicle so we did not need to fight crowds. Haukur was also a fun travelling companion. The wonderful hospitality and good food at Hrifunes Guesthouse added a special element to the tour. Overall an amazing experience.

Date of experience: August 2018
Reviewed September 13, 2018

I recently traveled with Haukur through the Iceland Highlands, an area that is only accessible for about a quarter of the year (due to extreme weather condition). I had received a lot of conflicting info about traveling through the Highlands. Mainly around the issue of the vehicle and ability to transverse rivers up there. Since I had NO experience with this kind of travel, I went with my gut to not try that on my own. After a lot of searching and stratospheric price quotes to do this on my own, I discovered Haukur (Hawk, for those of us without Icelandic in our verbal arsenals) and his Iceland Photo Tours. Possibly the best decision ever to do it this way!

If you are not familiar with off-road driving, please do not attempt this on your own. This is NOT the place to start your learning curve!!! I cannot say enough good things about how safe I felt in Haukur's care, his expert knowledge of the terrain, and how it relates to photography.

On the issue of the roads: road might, perhaps, be too grandiose a word for what you drive on in the highlands! If you aren't 100% committed to watching the terrain, have the proper vehicle, and know how to drive through water that sometimes reaches the top of the wheelwells...then give over to someone as expert as Hawk. It is always a pleasure to watch an expert do what they do well, and I felt secure and well cared for throughout our 6 days of travel. He knows the best ways and places to travel in the Highlands, and maintains that vehicle superbly (The Beast, as this short traveler calls something that big...).

As to the photography side: Hawk is more than just good. He has a well trained eye, which didn't just come about from Instagram selfies! It comes from a lifetime with a camera in hand, from film through digital, and an artist's sense of composition. What isn't mentioned a lot in these reviews is that he is also a pilot. He knows this terrain not only at eye level, but from the air. His ability to fly over it routinely gives him the edge over other photo tours in that when he sees interesting locations from the air, he then follows up on the ground. This brings his clients to areas that are often far from the madding crowds of Iceland's massive tourist boon, into areas that are still pristine and without the destructive evidence of humans. And once you are there, he will guide you to THE perfect spot, no, not THERE...move over 5 meters...voila <BAM>. I cannot tell you how many times that happened. It's not about trophy shooting, it's about having the knowledge from experience, knowing your subject matter to the finest detail. You're not necessarily going to hit "iconic" Iceland locations...he will give you a far better experience than that by finding equally spectacular locations, without having to battle the crowds.

Outside of our time jumping in and out of The Beast with the camera, there is the Hrifunes Guesthouse that Hawk and his wife Hadda run. One of the reasons I went with Iceland Photo Tours' Highland program was the ability to be based out of one location for several days, not worrying about luggage all the time. A separate review for Hrifunes is done, and they have done a superb job on creating a warm and welcome haven for travellers. Everyone raves about Hadda's cooking, and for serious good reason.

My days on this Highland tour were filled with exquisite locations, expert guidance, great conversation, MUCH laughter (did I mention he also has a wicked sense of humour??!) and rainbows. Can't ask for more than that.

Date of experience: September 2018
1  Thank flyinmom
Reviewed September 13, 2018 via mobile

My wife and I just finished an 11 day fall photo tour with Iceland Photo Tours. Our guides, Albert Dros and Kaspars Dzenis, were outstanding. They took us to wonderful locations and offered many suggestions so we could create many beautiful photographs. They constantly monitored the weather forecast so that they could take us to great locations without heavy rain. They also monitored the Aurora Borealis forecast so that we would be prepared to photograph it if the activity and clear skies happened. We had one night of outstanding Northern Lights photography! We had two great mornings photographing on Ice Beach and the results will hang on the walls! The other clients on this tour were very nice and fun to be shooting with. By the way, my wife is not a photographer. She enjoyed hiking around the locations. Had a great time! We highly recommend Iceland Photo Tours.

Date of experience: September 2018