“Nice sculptures in the garden” 4 of 5 bubbles

Private Sightseeing Tour in Reykjavik
Ranked #54 of 176 things to do in Reykjavik
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Asmundarsafn is the former home and workshop of the sculptor Asmundur Sveinsson, who designed and mostly constructed this building himself in Laugardalur. The museum served to preserve his work and life, and displays the largest collection of his sculptures both inside and outside the building. Asmundur's art greatly reflects his lifelong interest in the Icelandic sagas, folk tales and classical mythology.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Stroller parking, Activities for young children, Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities
US
80 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 103 helpful votes
“Nice sculptures in the garden”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2011

Enjoyed taking a look at the sculptures around the museum on the garden grounds. I didn't make it in time to see the museum inside before they closed at 4pm, but the sculptures outside were interesting and well worth a look if you are in the area. I don't think I would trek out to the area if only to go to the museum, but it is close to the pool, zoo and family park and botanic garden, which in some combination makes the trip out to this area worthwhile in my opinion.

Visited May 2011
1 Thank chatterbox-2007

A TripAdvisor Member
“Enjoyable time spent at the A.S. sculpture museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2003

I just returned from a 5 day trip to Iceland. We spent about 3 hours at the Asmundfur Sveinsson sculpture museum, especially researching a sculpture that I acquired at an auction of Ambassador Karl Rolvaag's memorbilia. This particular figure was presented to Ambassador Rolvaag in the l960's by the people of Iceland. This beautiful statue depicts a woman holding her infant son and protecting him from the weather. I discovered this is called "Moorland Flight" and is reputed to be from an Icelandic saga. I would like to find a copy of this complete story for my own information, but it was not available there. There were two books that pictured this figure, but they were the last copy the museum had so they could be purchased. However, they did let me copy any information that I needed. Happily enough, I did find postcards with Moorland Flight pictured on them.

The museum personnel were helpful and ready to share resources and tried to answer my questions regardless of language barriers. The museum is beautiful and spacious, however, when walking around the grounds outside, we found the bushes and shrubs to be overgrown which made it difficult to see the complete statues.

There is a great Asian restaurant nearby with wonderful 50's furniture and also worth a stop.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member