“Great Experience!”

Arctic Rafting
Ranked #13 of 26 Food & Drink in Reykjavik
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Arctic Rafting is an Icelandic adventure and activity company with an emphasis on ecotourism and environmentally friendly river trips in the amazing Icelandic nature. We try to be sustainable in all ways, whether it is regarding our rafting operation, restaurant, equipment or anything else. Arctic Rafting was originally founded in the early 1980s when we started rafting on the Hvítá glacier river in South-Iceland. Since then we have welcomed and entertained thousands of happy customers and look forward to keeping on doing so. Now we are a part of the Arctic Adventures family wich gives us an advantage of being able to offer all kinds of great combo tours.
Reviewed October 17, 2015

Everyone who worked here was great! I was worried about being cold but the sun was out and the wetsuits provided kept us warm. Make this part of your trip!

All reviews
"beginners"
"gullfoss"
"company"

Reviewed September 17, 2015 via mobile

We had the best time on this tour, our tour guide was called Svenni and he was just brilliant! We did this on our 2nd day in Iceland and for the next five days of tours and trips we wished we had Svenni again!! Golden circle and Rafting is a must! Rafting not too wild but prepared to go into the water! This was definitely one of our best days in Iceland! Ravi our raft guide was awesome too!!! Thank you for making the trip so memorable

1  Thank Lorna A
Reviewed September 2, 2015

A white-knuckle ride; and that was just on the bus to get to the river!

This was a fantastic day out to take our 3 teenage boys for some much-needed adrenaline rush! Our rafting guide - 'Swanny' was the perfect host. I never knew so much of the Hvita river was inspiration for Hollywood :-).

It's a must to have a 'splash war' on the river, and the lamb BBQ steaks at the end of the day were the best meal we had in Iceland. Highly recommended.

Reviewed August 15, 2015 via mobile

This was one of the highlights of my trip. Everyone working for the company was lovey and made the experience so enjoyable.

I would definitely recommend it to anyone that is visiting Iceland!

1  Thank Michele G
See more reviews
Reviewed August 5, 2015

At age 72 I went rafting on Hvita River (White River) 7km with Arctic Rafting. They provide helmets, paddles, wet suit with booties, lifejackets, splash jackets. Humorous but effective orientation, struggling into the wet suits. A bumpy bus ride over waste land to the put in point. Some in my party saw an arctic fox on the way.

We were expected to row, and practiced as a group in our boat of 8 guests and two (unusual) guides. Started hilariously, but we got it worked out. It is somewhat ambiguous whether we really accomplished anything with our rowing, but it was great exercise. Guides are personable and experienced.

The river runs pretty cleanly, with major rapids, but few obstructing rock in our path. The river has eroded the lava down in near vertical walls of several tens of feet in height on both sides of the river. We had three Level 2 rapids and one Level 3 rapid, all near the beginning. I was a lead rower in the front, and got quite a drink when I went into the 3 with my mouth open.

We pulled out of the water for a break at the jumping rock. I didn't jump. Many did.

The lower river was still fast and a bit bumpy. The take out area was quiet, and we were picked up by the bus for a bumpy but very short ride back to the livery, to struggle out of our suits, enjoy a hot shower and the sauna.

The water is cold, but the suits effective, so I rated the experience as a cool one, but not chilly. Advice: Wear bathing suit for modesty. Over that wear thermal non-cotton long underwear. Thermal wicking outdoor socks. Perhaps a balaclava for the head. Diver's or other wet suit gloves. I had 3 of the 5 items and did fine. No one got hypothermia even with 0 for 5.

Great fun! Really stretched me to do it. Don't be afraid of this adventure.

1  Thank TomM8132