“A welcome respite from sightseeing”
Review of Cafe Gardurinn

Cafe Gardurinn
Ranked #21 of 541 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Reviewed July 21, 2016

We found this café by chance after visiting Hallgrimskirkja church… and are so glad we did!
The menu for the week – a soup and one main course each day - is displayed in the window (and on line), and, as we liked the sound of Friday’s meal, it seemed a good choice. We both ordered red lentil soup which came with a wonderful bread that contained nuts and was served with hommus. It was so filling and tasty that we didn’t have room for a slice of the delicious-looking carrot cake. Tea and coffee were served in very big cups.
We knew that Saturday’s menu was Madras soup and zucchini risotto, so we hurried back at lunchtime. It was a tough choice, but we each decided on a small portion of the risotto which was served with a garnish of green salad on the side.
Today we determined to try the cakes; my husband ate every crumb of his carrot cake, while I felt guilty with every mouthful of my caramel cake with dates, mint and caramel topping. But we loved them!
We would have returned on Sunday, but the owners need a well-deserved break.
What made our visits to this this café memorable?
Firstly, the very gentle owner and servers, who are quietly efficient. (They remembered our drinks order from the day before!)
Secondly, the obviously home-cooked food, bursting with flavour, which was also reasonably priced.
Thirdly, the peaceful atmosphere in the small room – there is also seating out the back – which is a welcome respite from the busy pace outside.
I’d love to have this café in my suburb!

Reviewed July 15, 2016

This restaurant was right down the street from our hotel and we had a amazing meal there. The meal options are limited and change daily and the food is home made in the kitchen but it is REALLY good. If you are looking for good vegan food in Reykjavik, give this a try.

Reviewed July 14, 2016

We had their 'Indian Meal' for lunch, and it was _delicious_.

At first glance it looked like a mickey-take of 'boring' vegan non-food. Everything on the plate was the same drab colour of chickpea. However, upon tasting it our eyes widened and we thoroughly enjoyed every mouthful. Really, really delicious.

We also had two enormous slices of the best carrot cake I have ever had.

If we were in Reykjavik itself for longer I would have gone back to try their other meals.

A little more expensive than I would have liked, but that's Reykjavik for you.

Reviewed July 13, 2016 via mobile

Nice lunch in this small veggie cafe. A simple concept of 1 soup and 1 main course which changes on a daily basis. You can either have just the soup, the main course or both together in small or large portions. It was Borscht and Spinach Lasagne when we visited. Nice coffee too.

Reviewed July 4, 2016 via mobile

Went for lunch here . However unlike few cafes in Rey , they have fixed menu for the days. So we took both the soup and the meal with rice , vegetables and bread. The curry soup was good . The meal was also good however I found the veg meal at other cafes I have reviewed to be better . Their meal had a distinct smell and taste ( not sure because of which spice ) and was cooked in Indian style ( I'm from India and would have liked it however the smell was very peculiar , and I'm not sure about the oil or spices they used ). Overall the food was good , Mayb would have tasted better had I not waited for my husband and eaten it immediately when served hot.