“Lovely vegetarian cafe”
Review of Cafe Gardurinn

Cafe Gardurinn
Ranked #21 of 541 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Reviewed December 5, 2015

Only two dishes per day but my goodness, are they well thought-out. Balanced, generous, very tasty, imaginative and overall gorgeous vegetarian & vegan food.
Friendly staff with, needless to say, perfect English.
Plain and welcoming decor.

1  Thank Amy A

Reviewed November 27, 2015

In a city that's food consists of fish and lamb, finding a place to eat is trying. After a day of touring, and on only a little sleep, I stopped into a downtown health food store for help. They recommended this cafe as having excellent food, so I trudged up the street with high hopes and an empty tummy. The store was right. This tiny cafe is delightful. I had a bowl of really good soup that came with excellent bread and hummus, and I'll be going back for breakfast. The staff are very friendly and steered me to the hand knitting store on the corner for some warm mittens. All in all a very satisfying experience.

1  Thank animalsafety
Reviewed October 28, 2015

I first visited this cafe in Jan 2013 on my first trip to Iceland. I was so glad to see it still there when I returned in September. I immediately dragged my friends inside where we had great food followed by the BEST cake in memory. This place has an awesome vibe and if I lived in Reykjavik I'd be in there all the time.

Reviewed October 25, 2015

I am a lifelong vegetarian, now over 60. To make matters worse, I am a PICKY vegetarian. It took me decades to find at least some vegetables that I liked. Some of us become vegetarians for ethical reasons, not because we love vegetables. So, I am not much fun to travel with. Needless to say, during our 8 day stay in Iceland, I knew that my only possibility of finding a sit-down restaurant (rather than eat the packed nuts, dried fruits and protein bars weighing down my luggage) was to scout out Reykjavik.
Based on guidebooks, this place was our second choice, because I knew that they had a daily limited selection of a single main course or soup. When we couldn't find restaurant choice #1, we stumbled on Cafe Gardurinn, choice#2.
Just as I feared...Peanut stew with root vegetables (I hate peanuts) or Sweet and Sour Texas soup (I hate sweet and sour). Hmmm...nice vibes...relaxing in here...maybe we should stay despite the food...hmmm? Choosing the lesser of the two apparently evil-tasting vegetarian dishes, I chose the peanut stew. At least it came with a salad....Well, now, this doesn't look too bad, I'll try it...Wow, this is DELICIOUS! Best meal I can remember having in a long time. This anti-foodie was almost ready to turn foodie and take a photo of my meal with my phone.
As the meal concluded, I was feeling good and looking at photos on the wall. Say, that guru looks familiar. Is that Sri Chinmoy? Looks the same as he did when I saw him 25 years ago, that amazing guru. I found out later that the guru shed his earthly form in 2007. I have been wrong about so much, especially peanut stew.
Don't make the same mistake. Eat Here Now.

2  Thank rap_mom
Reviewed September 24, 2015 via mobile

Both main course (veg and coconut curry) and soup were great. Relaxed atmosphere with great art and good for a quiet read.