“Excellent Icelandic Tapas Lunch”
Review of Tapashusid/Tapashouse - CLOSED

Tapashusid/Tapashouse
Cuisines: Seafood, Spanish, Grill
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Twined for 90 years. Our casa, Sólfell, was built in 1921 and has a rich history twined with Spain. Originally Sólfell housed the production of bacalao (salted cod/saltfiskur) and Spain was by far the biggest buyer. A newspaper article from 1921 tells how the Spanish renewed the contract between the two countries. The contract was literally a big deal because the magnitude was such that the Spanish bought all the exported bacalao that year. A new Spanish contract. We have reversed things. Before the bacalao started its journey from here to Spain but now we import from Spain everything that gives us the warmth and feel of the south. Of course the bacalao has a special place in our hearts as well as on our menu along with other delicacies, enough to give you what you need to put together your dream feast, there are thousands of possible combinations. There is a certain equilibrium in the fact that we have now offer a contract with whomever enters our establishment. In it we state our determination to offer the best of the Spanish tradition in this historical house with a unique fusion of our beloved home country. Enjoy.
Reviewed August 12, 2013

This was our last meal in Reykjavik and one of the best we had. We went about 1.30pm and were shown to a great table for two in the corner by the window in the conservatory section, overlooking the harbour and the mountains beyond.
I opted for the Icelandic tapas menu, which consisted of five superb courses - guillemot, arctic char, salt cod and lamb, each one served with delicious accompaniments and sauces / jus plus tastefully presented. The lamb was the best I had tasted and guillemot was something brand new, which I would have again. The waiters were great and told us exactly what each tapas was.
My wife had traditional tapas such as baked camembert, roasted vegetables etc and enjoyed them too. I had a tasty arctic beer too - fruity with a berry flavour.
Definitely worth a visit, the decor is bright yet cosy and the place has a relaxed atmosphere.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

For my first dinner in Iceland, I wanted somewhere special. I set off on my own and found Tapashusid, which looked nice enough from the outside.

First, the service: It took a very long time for someone to address me as I waited by the "please wait for a server" sign. There was no line. Once I was finally seated, I didn't seem to have a single server. That's okay. What wasn't okay was that half the staff who serviced my table were perfectly lovely, and the other half were surly and impatient.

Noise: It gets loud.

Food: It was all very salty, and very heavy.

I wouldn't go again.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Food was just OK. Our lamb was fatty, and many of our tapas dishes were served with the same sauce. They could not make a Cosmpolitan martini despite their extensive martini menu, so sent this back and got a glass of wine. Service was excellent and view was fantastic.

Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

Honestly I don't get it. The food and the location are nice... but.. the waiter are incapable. They don't remove the used plates and them they come with the new ones and are totally surprised ...
To get the menu for the dessert took 24 min.
Pity, because the chef does a great job!!!
We had Tapas and all have been very delicious. Don't eat the whale ;-( they belong to the sea ;-)

Reviewed July 17, 2013

This was good, I mean tongue tastingly good.

Service is excellent, wine list is good, food is exquisite and so many choices.

I recommend wholeheartedly.