“Expensive - but worth it.............??”
Review of Grillmarkadurinn

Grillmarkadurinn
Ranked #13 of 464 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Scandinavian, Grill
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
“Expensive - but worth it.............??”
Reviewed April 25, 2014

This was our 'push the boat out' meal on our trip to Iceland. Make no mistake it is expensive.
The food is very good - is it worth what you pay?....................It probably just about gets there - but only just...........don't take that as the food is not nice - it is really good food and better than you will find at a lot of places.......................would I go again if I was in Iceland - probably.
The restaurant itself is very stylish, the atmosphere and serivce are also very good.
One point to note - this is probably not the place to take a gamble on the wine you have with your meal - a medium-ish priced bottle of wine that we had was about £65. We knew what we wanted and we weren't disappointed, however I would have been gutted if I'd spent that on something I was not too keen on.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Toronto, Canada
“Outstanding”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Amazing vegetarian dish. Flavourful and delectable.Lovely ambiance. Good wine selection. tremendous desserts. Overall a great experience.

• Visited April 2014
“Amazing tasting menu. A little crowded.”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

We went for our wedding anniversary. I made the reservation in advance and asked for us to be seated somewhere quieter - in a corner and a little more private.

THE AMBIANCE
The restaurant is very modern and stylish. When we arrived we were told there 'wasn't really a quiet corner' and seated on a table squashed in between 4 other couples - which was a little upsetting as I could see there were booths, and quieter areas. Due to being squashed in so close to the other couples - we ended up stuck beside a couple that I can only describe as 'Made in Chelsea', the woman did not stop talking about herself for the entire 2 hours we were there - sooooooooo frustrating. Other than her - the ambiance was great - but she spoilt it a little. I wish they would have simply put us in a quieter spot as requested.

THE FOOD
We opted for the tasting menu - without wine! Without wine it was around £45 per person, with wine it was around £95 per person- even more extortionate than it usually is in Iceland. We had 4 starters, 3 mains and 4 deserts. As each course was brought to the table they would explain what it was. The time in between courses was a little long at times - and the deserts took so long I actually asked when it was going to arrive. But the food made up for the wait - especially the deserts!!!!!!!!

THE SERVICE
We had a fantastic waiter who was very helpful, very informative.

All in all AMAZING food, shame they didn't seat us in a quieter place. DEFINITELY reccommend!

1 Thank Danii H
Bridge of Weir, United Kingdom
“The best meal we have EVER had!”
Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

This was a birthday meal so we opted for something a bit special and although it was very expensive it was worth every penny.

We had the tasting menu (without wine) and we were not disappointed. This is 8 dishes served to share - 4 starters, 3 mains and a dessert. You also get bread with Icelandic butter and lava salt - simple but delicious. I won't ruin the mystery and romance of the menu but what I will say is that if there's anything in the menu that you really don't want to try then tell your waiter or waitress. I highly recommend the tempura - it was immense. Every dish we had was perfectly executed, well balanced and despite it being a lot of food I didn't feel overwhelmed. Dessert will blow your mind.... Mmmmmm.

The service is brilliant. Each dish is explained and the staff are incredibly knowledgeable. Service is very quick but we didn't feel rushed. The atmosphere is lovely, very dark and well decorated. A great place for a romantic evening and even though the tables are reasonably close together we felt like we had a good level of privacy.

The toilets are a treat! I'm still giggling about them!! All I'll say is.... Beware of wandering hands in the sink!

The bill at the end was high (as expected) but not grudged in the slightest. And as my partner is not particularly adventurous when it comes to new foods, I can say with confidence that you will love it because we both agree that it's the best meal we've ever had.

Suomi
“Briljant restaurant”
Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

I just aet best dinner in my life and that's a lot to say.The location of the Grill Market is perfect,just begining of the walking street of Reykjavik city center.Staff was very helpful and friendly.The restaurant locate in the basement of the building,bar in the groundfloor.I started with miniburgers;whale,lobster and reindeer,perfect.For the maincourse;The meat gourmet,lamb,beef and duck,briljant.One of the sideorders,mushrooms and minicorns,was stunnig.For dessert;The trinity of icelandic cheese,wau.

Visited April 2014