“Good but not outstanding, which it should be for the cost”
Review of Grillmarkadurinn

Grillmarkadurinn
Ranked #13 of 473 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Scandinavian, Grill
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Good but not outstanding, which it should be for the cost”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Had a little trouble finding this place (it is hidden away a little down an alleyway) but we were glad we had found it - the decor of the restaurant downstairs where we were seated was lovely - totally Icelandic and containing local wood, moss, slate etc. I thought it had a lovely atmosphere and was really looking forward to the meal. However, much of the recent comments from other reviewers on here are spot on: the restaurant is good, it's just not good enough to justify the cost. To start hubby had the three mini burgers - lobster (he loved), puffin (he did not like at all, whereas I thought it was okay - meat had some toughness and bite and tasted quite fishy and salty) and minke whale (hubby hated it, I thought it was really nice, although a very intense, strong meat). The main problem for me with the mini burgers (apart from the fact it was about £15 and they were mini) was that they had covered each one in the same pepper sauce, making it very hard to taste the actual meats you had ordered this dish to try. I had the minke whale which I really liked once I got used to the very strong taste (guiltily), but again, I would not be happy charging £15 for. For the main, hubby ordered the horse (we thought we'd get all the unusual meats out of the way in one meal), and I ordered the trio of lamb, beef and duck. We ended up swapping meals as hubby did not like the horse at all, which did have a slight disinfectant taste to it with a bitter after taste. The trio of meats was quite small. Accompanying the meals were roasted veg of mini corn, mushrooms and spinich, which were all incredibly salty and tasted as if they had been fried not roasted, and what seemed to be frozen curly fries, which were pretty cold when we got them. A shame really. I had creme brule for desert which was nice but no better or worse than one you would have for half the price in the UK. For two starters, two mains and one dessert with no drinks (tap water), our bill was £95. I enjoyed certain aspects of the meal and certainly the decor, but it just wasn't worth that amount of money.

• Visited January 2014

• Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Moordrecht
“Good, but expensive restaurant”
Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

After recommendation from tripadvisor we went here. At first, it's very hard to find. It's not on the street you think it is. Second, it's very expensive. The food was good quality though. The restaurant is cosy and nice designed. I liked the special washbin in the toilet. You can shake hands with the other gender without seeing eachother.

Visited December 2013
Reykjavik, Iceland
“Very good but not particularly memorable”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We went, a small group of us, just before Christmas. We each had the Christmas special tasting platter. Everyone was happy and full but did not live up to our admittedly very high expectations.

Perhaps I'm being unfair as usually is the case when you got ultra high expectations. But I'm not in a rush to go there again.

Atmosphere is great. Very cosy. Service is excellent!

You wont go wrong by eating here.

• Visited December 2013
“Yummilicious”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

The environment is amazing. It's a little dark, but very cozy and original. Everything is really rough, raw and cool. I've been there a couple of times but my favorite time was when we had the tasting menu and it was beyond amazing. If you're not on a tight budget I highly recommend doing the whole experience and get the selected wines to go along with the menu. It was an amazing dinner experience. Highly recommended.

If you go there during lunch the hamburger is one of a kind.

• Visited May 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very good :)”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Went there last summer and was not disappointed, excellent atmosphere, great service and food. Looking forward to go there again.

• Visited June 2013