“Lovely food with an Icelandic twist”
Review of Grillmarkadurinn

Grillmarkadurinn
Ranked #19 of 529 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Scandinavian, Grill
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

The restaurant is tucked away just off the main street. We were warmly welcomed and the service was great. My son had the trio of burgers to start (whale, reindeer & lobster) then for mains the three of us had fish gourmet, meat gourmet and tenderloin of horse. All were delicious and beautifully presented. For desert we had pot luck which was a selection for us all to share. This isn't cheap but for a real treat I would recommend it for a great night out.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,181)

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Decided to try because it was rated #1 on TA. The location and restaurant ambiance are very good. Dark stone and wood feel like a cave within a volcano! Staff was great even thou our waitress was a little cool at first. Local food on the menu includes, whale, puffin and tenderloin of horse. My husband ordered the mini burger trio of whale, puffin and lobster and was pleased. I order fried veggies, which were in light tempura and very good, but were covered in a heavy pesto which was not described on the menu. My husband ordered Meat Gourmet (duck, lamb & beef) and I ordered Fish Gourmet (salmon, cod and monkfish). I was told the fish would be grilled or baked. Meat was good but not the best. The fishes were covered in sauces and undercooked. Waitress offered to return to the kitchen. I refused, explained I would not have ordered to begin with if the menu had described the sauces on each of the fish. Both meals were accompanied by curly fries, mini corn husks w/mushrooms and a salad with something on it I could not describe. We ordered the ice cream bliss for desert which had a lovely presentation but was just OK. The best part of dinner was the bread served b4 the meal with an interesting black salt!!! Without asking, the waitress did not charge for the Fish Gourmet and also comped us the ice cream desert (which we did not even complain about). Very rarely am I not happy with a restaurant but I was very disappointed here. I think the chef is trying to be innovative with sauces which are masking the natural tastes of the food. Simple would be better.

1  Thank spsandi
Reviewed February 20, 2013

The restaurant, ask your hotel to give location details, was a delight, and we also turned up without a reservation but were accommandated within 45 mins. Food was really very good - Icelandic - well presented, service and atmosphere highly acceptable.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

The horse steak was fantastic. Don't bother with the sliders, way too small. Also skip the salad. The service is so-so.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

We got recommended this place by another tourist couple so we decided to check it out on Sunday night. Called up from the hotel at 7:30 and was advised that there are no tables available till 10pm. Ignored the suggestion and walked there (we were just around the corner from the restaurant) and asked for a table for four. Was kindly offered a booth table downstairs with a very nice atmosphere. Ordered our drinks and it came promptly. Around 15-20mins later and the waiter was obviously busy with other tables, we didn't complain, but asked another waitress to take out food order. She apologised and said she will speak to the waiter responsible for our table. Result of that was = a free round of drinks AND dessert on the house!!!!

That was just the service... We didn't complain but the restaurant saw the need to satisfy us anyway which was well above and beyond our expectations.

The food... simply sublime... although the servings were enormous and we were absolutely full by the time the main was finished (we ordered starters and fish and meat platter to share). When the free dessert came out no matter how full you were you simply cannot resist the temptation to try the assortment of dessert they have on offer.

Conclusion is I cannot reccomend this place enough, not only for their service but for their fantastic food as well.