“Could be better”
Review of Hotel Odinsve

Hotel Odinsve
Ranked #13 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I was on a vacation trip to Stockholm,Iceland and Copenhagen.Hotel Odinsve was the most expensive of the 3 hotels I stayed in and also the only 4 stars.I must say I was a bit deceived.Personally I do not think that it is of a 4 stars standard e.g. The shower handle was broken and not fixed and I could only use the overhead shower.The bathroom was rather small as well.Additionally I was given a room on the 1st floor and the first night it looked as if the guests in the room above me were moving their furniture constantly.Fortunately noise at night do not disturb me since I live on a very busy street in my home country.The next day I found out the source of the noise was the restaurant located on the ground floor and just below the rooms on the 1st floor.If you are disturbed by noise,request a room on a different wing or upper floors.The staff were however very nice, polite and geared towards doing anything to please the guests..reservation/cancellation of tours..etc.The location is also very appropriate, just in the middle of everything...sites,shopping..etc.All this being said, I would see if I can get an hotel in the same area but more reasonably priced.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

This is a first rate hotel in a prime location with wonderful staff, all at a reasonable price. I highly recommend this hotel in Reykjavik (which is, BTW, a charming and inviting city offering lots to young and older alike. See all of Iceland, but leave at least 3 full days for Reykjavik.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I had a single room booked and was upgraded to a double, it was a bone-chillingly cold August day but the room was warm and the heated towel rail in the bathroom was switched on. The bathroom was spotless with thick white towels. I was in room 310, right opposite the lift but there was no noise from outside, just a little distant noise from a loo flushing nearby. There is a balcony shared by two other rooms, so care as others could look in your window! No balcony furniture but it was too cold anyway to sit out. The black out blinds and curtains (essential in the summer) are good. The bed linen was lovely, crispy white. Two small chocolates were left, also tea and coffee making facilities. Everything was absolutely fine and ample of everything – loo rolls, plug sockets (I counted ten!) and lots of space to unpack and spread stuff about. Nice flannels, toiletries and shelf space. The shower was hot and strong, two kinds, the “soup plate” over the head and the hand held. A window in the bathroom opens to the outside – so no horrible extractor fan noise. The water smells very bad but that is an Icelandic quirk. To get to the hotel get the fly bus then from the bus terminal smaller buses pick up for various hotels, its organised chaos but actually works very well – its not cheap about £26 return, buy ticket in airport. Breakfast was absolutely superb, great variety, generous, DIY waffles were my favourite, lovely bread, pastries, fresh fruit, in a light and airy room. The staff were all friendly, helpful and patient. If I wanted to be picky I could say the room was a tiny bit shabby, but I would definitely and without hesitation return.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed in the Odinsve twice - at the beginning and end of a 17 day trip. The staff will help if asked but they are not falling over themselves to be friendly. With one exception, a woman who does the breakfast and we discovered is married to a Scot, she is really, really lovely. The room we had on our first night was awful; shabby, tired, dated, drab and small. The bathroom was tiny with a shower over the bath. There was however tea and coffee making facilities and a hair dryer. Very pleased to leave.
A the end of our trip we were given a junior suite which was much better and comprised of a sitting room, bedroom and teeny, tiny bathroom but at least it had a proper teeny, tiny shower.
The restaurant (under different management) was efficient and the meal tasty.
The breakfasts on all three mornings was excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for a junior suite.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Odinsve is a quaint mid-range hotel located right off Laugavegur street and just a few blocks away from the Hallgrímskirkja church. What's nice is that while it's near the main shopping and dining area of Reykjavik, it's just far enough off the main street that you can enjoy some peace and quiet. The rooms and bathroom are fairly small but nothing too out of the ordinary for this type of hotel in Reykjavik (I stayed at 3 different hotels in Reykjavik). The rooms are clean and comfortable, not necessarily spotless but good enough. Wi-Fi and breakfast were included in the my package. I would recommend this hotel is you are looking for a mid-range priced hotel. It's also a nice place to meet other travelers - either in the lobby or its restaurant, Snaps.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This was a solid choice for a mid-range hotel. It was within easy walking distance to shops and restaurants. The staff was friendly and very helpful. If your flight arrives in the morning, ask if you can check in. They will accommodate you if they can. The breakfast was quite good, but expensive, about 18 euro. Our room was clean. It was also small, but no more so than a typical European hotel in old part of town. The shower was small (move slowly and watch your elbows). Ask for a room in the back if you want quiet. The rooms over the restaurant are noisy. This was the only hotel we had in Iceland that provided washcloths. We stayed here twice, on each end of our tour. Both rooms were about the same.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back if you want quiet. The rooms over the restaurant are noisy.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We did a fantastic nine day tour around Iceland with REI and spent our last night here before heading for the airport. Over the course of our Iceland trip we stayed at six different hotels so we have a basis for comparison. This hotel is ok but was probably the hotel we liked the least on our trip. Our room was very small, had no view and the water did have a strong sulfur smell that we didn't notice at the other hotel we stayed at in the city. It is in a good location - close enough to easily walk into town but on a quiet side street that avoided most of the weekend party noise. The morning breakfast buffet was decent and served in a lovely glass atrium/bar. I imagine its a good value for the money- not sure since it was part of our package. It's definitely clean and comfortable, just nothing special.

Room Tip: Ask when you register. Our room had a view of the not very attractive street that runs in front of...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple