“Great find”
Review of Hotel Odinsve

Hotel Odinsve
Ranked #14 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed September 5, 2011

We stayed at Hotel Odinsve for our honeymoon and could not have been happier with our choice. Our room was modern, filled with sunlight and a great size. The full bath had a nice shower and modern fixtures. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. Although the price would have been a tad steep, because we stayed for a full week, we received a 10% discount that made it easier. The location is amazing and very close to all of the restaurants in the area. We will definitely stay here again on our next trip to Iceland.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 4, 2011

The Odinsve apartment is very centrally located. It is expensive, but then this is Iceland in peak season. For 3 or more people, it works out better value than a centrally located 4 star hotel. The apartment (601) is very spacious, modern and clean. There is no elevator.

Anyone who knows anything about Reykjavik knows that the Icelandics party hard all night long at the weekend so it does get noisy then.

The kitchen facilities were very good, bathroom very spacious. The TV channels were a bit limited, but this was not an issue since you don't go to Iceland to watch TV:-)

Highly recommend it.

Room Tip: If walking up stairs is issue, try to get 501/502 rather than 601/602
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 24, 2011

I was very happy with my stay at Hotel Odinsve. I booked a room with two single beds. The room was clean, comfortable, and not too small for Europe (which means it was small by American standards). The bedding was soooo comfortable, towels were nice and thick, and the blackout shade worked well. The room had a tv with about 10 English stations, hot water kettle with tea and coffee packets, and a hairdryer. The shower was small but really one of the better ones I've encountered in Europe. The hotel location is perfect, within walking distance to just about anywhere in central Reykjavik but on a quiet residential street.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank anniebanannie79
Reviewed August 12, 2011

We booked this for our last night in Iceland wanting a quiet location prior to a flight home. On arrival we accepted a (free) upgrade to the large apartment without realising it was a couple of blocks away. We had sent the cab away so lugged cases and bags and then found it was on the fourth floor without a lift. It was a great apartment but wasnt the reason we booked this hotel. It was noisy outside most of the night. We had paid for breakfast so had to walk back to main building for breakfast and then again for bus pickup.
I know it sounds churlish, but had location etc been explained when we booked in we would have stayed in main building. Apartment would be great for a longer stay (use earplugs). We tried to explain this to the receptionists a couple of times, but they wern't really interested (one said they hadnt ever seen the apartment building)

Finally - its worth noting the hotel is right opposite C is for Cookie and around the corner from Seafood Grill so its excellent location for eating choices!

Room Tip: If upgrade offered check it is the large apartment - 602 and be prepared for a noisy night!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank visarts
Reviewed August 9, 2011

This hotel bills itself as a four star hotel. It is not. They advertise as having breakfast included but I was told at the front desk it would cost me $17 a day. You would think for $17 there would be more than one hot item.
My room was little bigger than a closet. I went to turn the TV on and the clicker had the batteries taped in. There were only about 5 working channels.
Can't they have bottles of shampoo and soap instead you have to tear open packages with your teeth.
Get another hotel. You will thank me.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Billg G
Reviewed July 29, 2011

I stayed at Hotel Odinsve for 5 nights July 2011 in room 114 for 1 night and 106 for 4 nights.

The good - fantastic location with a 10 minute trot to just about everywhere, staff was fantastic and every one of the many people I dealt with could not have been more helpful, very clean rooms, got a room at 730am even tho check in time was sometime in the afternoon. C is for cookie is the cafe across the street, which has great coffee and dessert. The hotel has free wifi that worked very fast and easily and I did not need to log on - my ipad just picked it right up. Room 106 was a nice bright tho small single room that had everything I needed and on a quiet side street.

The bad - room 114 reminded me of a small, cramped dorm room and I would not stay in that room if can be helped. Also I thought the prices were steep for a single room - 99 pounds for the first night and then 125 pounds for the next 4, which did not include breakfast. Of course I am very aware of how expensive Reykjavik is and July is certainly high season but paying 200 dollars a night for small single without breakfast seemed excessive for a hotel like this which is not exactly the Ritz. Minor complaint - as it doesnt get dark until 3am in the summer, black out curtains would have been good. There was a pull down shade but only blocked a portion of the light.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank attytrav.
Reviewed July 29, 2011

The Hotel Odinsve (pronounced "O-thin-svee-ah") is located in a relatively quiet area just four short blocks from Laugavegur, the main shopping street in central Reykjavik. The rooms are small and slightly dated, but they are clean, the bed was very comfortable, and the shower was plenty hot. The front desk staff was helpful.

I disagree with the comments about the hotel being too much of a walk from the touristic center. Central Reyjavik is quite compact (the hotel is only 5 to 15 minutes from most of the good shops, bars and restaurants) and the uphill streets are not steep.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo