“Excellent place to stay”

Hotel Leifur Eiriksson
Ranked #25 of 52 Hotels in Reykjavik
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent place to stay”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Stayed in the Leifur Eiriksson four nights and was hugely impressed with the quality of service. Nothing was too much trouble for the young reception staff even when I kept on changing my mind about which trips to go on and they had to endlessly re-arrange the bookings! I am a '60 something' woman who travels alone and often find hotel staff sneering and superior as my demographic group is usually regarded as invisible at best and with contempt at worst. This was not at all the case here. There was nothing but kindness and respect.

I had done my research ahead and had asked for a room in the main hotel not higher than the 2nd floor as I have arthritis and a spinal condition. The email response to the request was efficient and on arrival they carried my case upstairs for me. I had booked for one person through Icelandair so was automatically given a single room. It was perfectly adequate but as I said I would like more space, I was given a double on the same floor as there was one free. Again my luggage was moved for me while I went out for a meal. I had a very nice room overlooking the pottery at the back which was beautifully decorated for Christmas.

I enjoyed the buffet breakfasts, especially the pickled herring and hard boiled eggs. As well as free coffee, chocolate and soft drinks, one could make tea and add milk to it, something almost unheard of in continental hotels but top of my list of requirements.

The location was perfect with airport bus connections from the front door. There are very scenic views of the cathedral and just round the corner is the nicest shopping street in Reykjavik.I noticed that a lot of the other, more 'upmarket' hotels were on soul-less retail estates much further from the centre.

A well situated, clean warm hotel with friendly and helpful staff at a reasonable room rate with free wifi - Does anyone need more than this? OK, no fancy toiletries etc but bring your own or buy them in the local shop! Having fallen under the spell of this land of fire and ice, I will
most definitely be back.

Room Tip: A great hotel for solo travellers. Feels a very safe environment.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Beverly M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Thai first
England
Reviewed December 8, 2012

We flew from London Gatwick 3rd December for 4 nights. We didn't know until we got to the airport who we were flying with, all our info said was that it was Flexflight. Once at the airport we were told we was flying with WOW air. Very nice clean plane, crew were nice although their English wasn't great. 2 hours 35 minutes flight, on time, no problems.
On arrival in Reykjavik it was a bit daunting as we didn't know where to go, but we managed to find the flybus desk who then pointed us in the right direction, got to Reykjavik bus station where we had to change to a smaller bus to take us to our hotel, we nearly ended up on the wrong bus due to one of the drivers telling us wrong.
Arrived at the hotel, first impressions were good, I had previously emailed the hotel asking for a 2nd floor room overlooking the church, that's exactly what we got, room 206. room was small but clean and adequate for what we wanted.
Breakfast was good, good choice, toast, cereal, meats, cheese, crackers, fruit, waffles, tea, coffee, hot chocolate etc.
We had booked the NL trip for Tuesday 4th with superjeep. unfortunately they cancelled due to the weather, so we paid to go out with Reykjavik Excursions, didn't see the lights though. Superjeep cancelled the following night 5th as well, also the 6th, so we tried again with RE on our last night. Still no luck with the lights.
We ate at Babalu cafe, lovely quaint place. Also we ate at Icelandic Fish and Chip cafe near the old harbour, we thought the cod was flavourless, we weren't impressed with this place. We also ate at a place near the big post office but can't remember the name, that was nice.
We explored most of the streets in Reykjavik, was lovely to see all of the Christmas lights up everywhere.
Summery: Hotel - small, clean, friendly, great location.
Reykjavik - Expensive to eat and drink, Very pretty with the Christmas lights everywhere. Nothing much to do in the daytime unless doing trips or like art museums. We didn't find the people to be particularly friendly, other than the hotel staff.
All in all - a good experience but not a place I would hurry back to.

Room Tip: 2nd floor is ideal, not too many steps to carry luggage. Get one overlooking the church.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
East Sussex
Reviewed December 7, 2012

We stayed here for four nights on an Iceland Air Northern Lights package.
The hotel is in a lovely location, right opposite a stunning church and very handy for the city centre and some quirky shopping. Reykjavik knows how to do Christmas lights! The church is a brilliant landmark - you can see the steeple from all over the city.
The front desk is manned all night and the staff team were helpful.
The 24 hour hot drinks machine in the lounge can save you a lot of money.(Iceland is lovely but it ain't cheap!)
The breakfast selection was fine with the opportunity to cook your own waffles. Our room was slightly small but more than comfortable. Other reviewers had warned of noise at the front of the hotel, but we weren't bothered at all.
The Icelandic menu at the nearby Cafe Loki is good and convenient, and the supermarket on the next corner is useful.

Room Tip: We had Room 306, 2nd floor, great views of the church and the mid morning dawn!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2012

We have just returned from a long weekend at the Leifur Eiriksson. We travelled with our three girls aged 18, 14 and 2 and another couple with two of their children aged 17 and 14. We flew with Icelandair, a very good flight, no delays, plenty of legroom, little televisions in the seat backs, complimentary non-alcoholic drinks and free meal for our toddler. Passport control at Reykjavik was speedy and efficient. The airport is about 40 mins outside of Reykjavik and as there were 9 of us with quite a bit of luggage we had to take two minibus style taxis. These cost approximately £75 each.

I had booked 4 rooms at the hotel, and on arrival we were told that 2 of the rooms were in the main block and 2 were in a separate building across the road. As half of our party was children, we didn't feel too happy about this arrangement, but fortunately the (very attractive) girl on reception was able to change this so we were all in one building. I would advise anyone travelling in a large group to contact the hotel beforehand to ensure they get rooms in one building if being in different places is problematic. As you would expect, the rooms were fairly small (although we have stayed in smaller ones) and quite basic. No kettle or safe or hairdryer. We had a telly which had Sky News and BBC1 and according to our friends there were other English channels - but I don't go on holiday to watch TV! The shower room is quite small (but I've seen worse). Everything was very clean. Our room was one of the attic rooms and had a sloping roof so we had to watch our heads. The hotel was lovely and warm - in fact we turned off the radiators, opened the window and slept in the raw! The beds were comfy enough, some people would want an extra pillow.

The location of this hotel is excellent, right opposite the front of the Hallgrimskirkja church and only a few minutes walk from the main shopping street, bars and restaurants. The church bell stops striking at about 9pm, and wasn't that loud anyway. Definitely worth taking the lift to the top of the church tower, adults cost about £3. The first night we were there (Friday) we found an excellent restaurant 5 minutes away on Skolavoroustigur (I think) called Sjavagrillid (I think). Lucky to get a table because it was very busy. Meal was fantastic, beautifully cooked and presented. Cost about £50 a head for 3 courses plus quite a few drinks. Didn't think it was that expensive considering the standard was so high. Another evening we tried the Hereford Steikhaus on Laugavegur and here the standard was similarly high (we tried puffin and reindeer) and the cost again about £50 per head.

Breakfast at the hotel is simple. Cereals, toast, waffles, tea, coffee, cold meat and cheese. Fine for me because I don't like big fried breakfasts. The availability of bread, meat and cheese means that it is possible to make yourself a sneaky packed lunch if you are going out for the day, although of course nobody in my group would have done such a thing, hmmmm! The tea and coffee is available thoughout the day free of charge which I thought was a nice touch in such an inexpensive hotel.

The staff here are very helpful and help you with booking trips etc. I had already booked the Golden Circle tour beforehand with a company called Iceland Horizon. I would definitely recommend the Golden Circle tour and also this company. It is run by David who is English but has lived in Iceland for many years. He is probably the most informed tour guide I have ever encountered and he runs minibuses rather than coaches which are much nicer to travel in.

We didn't bother going to the Blue Lagoon because it seemed a bit pricey and a long way out of Reykjavik. Instead we went to the Laugar spa in Reykjavik. You could walk, but it's quite a long way. We took a minibus taxi which cost about £12 and worked out at £1.50 each. Couldn't have got the bus any cheaper! Definitely worth a visit, lovely to sit in the hot water with the snow falling around you and the entry fee wasn't expensive and you get to mix with local people. Just a note - you leave your shoes outside the changing rooms to stop muck being trailed in, but my husband was convinced someone would steal his trainers. Why anyone in their right mind would want to steal his smelly trainers is beyond me, and I can confirm that when we came out they were still there! And you are supposed to shower before you go into the pool and (in the ladies changing rooms anyway, can't speak for the mens!) everyone showers nude, so don't be shy!

Overall, a great weekend away. The lack of daylight wasn't a problem and it wasn't even that cold. Take a good coat, hat and gloves and you will be fine. Reykjavic has a very safe feel to it, it was very pretty all lit up with Christmas lights and the tourist area is very compact. Would recommend the Leifur Eiriksson hotel to anybody wanting a simple hotel for a short break and not wanting to spend a fortune. I would stay there again if I return to Reykjavic.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank themadprampusher
england
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights as a birthday present from my husband. It is such a friendly little hotel and I agree with other reviewers that the location is great. Lots to see and and do in Iceland and we loved everything. Especially enjoyed a few beers at the Kaffibarin bar not a 5 min walk away!

Thoroughly recommend the Flybus for transfers - excellent; efficient service. Did a the blue lagoon and golden circle afternoon excursion with Iceland excursions. Would recommend; the guide was very informative.

All in all I loved Iceland and was only sorry that the weather prevented us seeing the Aurora - a good excuse to come back though and would definetly stay in this hotel.

Aldershot
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I took my fiancé to Iceland for 3 nights for his 30th birthday in Nov. As I booked through icelandair I only had a choice of a few hotels and chose Leifur Eiriksson because it was good value and a great location. The hotel is quite basic and the rooms are small, but the staff are so helpful and friendly and free hot drinks are a lovely touch. Due to the hotels location by the church it is impossible to get lost and there are great shops and good places to eat really close by. The free breakfast only has a small selection, but there is still something for everyone and the waffles are really great.

I would thoroughly recommend this great little hotel.

Room Tip: I emailed in advance to ask for a room with a view of the church.
UK
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Booked 3 nights Travelzoo offer. We visited Iceland on a cruise in the summer with green fields and clear blue skies. Thought we would come back in winter. It is a wonderful island and only two and a half hours flying from Heathrow and no time difference. Had the Reykjavik Excursions flybus to and from the airport - very efficient. The hotel is warm, very friendly, clean and good breakfast with free tea/coffee etc in dining room/lounge with Sky news TV. I read the reviews and emailed ahead for a room on the third floor in main hotel. Instant reply. We had room 306 in main hotel facing Hallgrimskirkja chuch, lit up at night and chimes stop at night (go up the tower for a few krona). Reception staff are extremely helpful and book tours etc. I read reviews and booked our tours from the hotel. We went to the Blue Lagoon and they gave us towels to take as they are expensive to hire there. Great experience. We did the Golden Circle in the summer so did the South Shore tour with Gateway to Iceland in a minibus (better to do tours in a smaller bus than Reykjavik Excursions). We walked on glacier, saw waterfalls, walked on lava beach, saw Icelandic horses. Most interesting was visit to exhibition centre about the farm below Eyjafjallajokull volcano which erupted in 2010 and saw short film of before, during after. Ate at Harry's (next to Best Western in Reykjavik) for best fish and chips ever. Also Seafood Grill. Did Northern Lights trip with Reykjavik Excursions and saw lights faintly. You can get them better on film if you do manual. People were told not to do flash but cameras were going off all the time and spoilt it. 4 busloads so 200 plus people. Best to go in small groups on minibus, but it was part of our deal. Hotel is in a great position and would stay there again and thoroughly recommend it. It is not five star but we only had breakfast and slept there and it is great!! PS We are pensioners. The world is exciting!!

Room Tip: Room on the third floor front in main hotel facing church. Sloping roof on higher floors. No lift
7 Thank Travs2