Please bear in mind this is one of the cheaper hotels in central Reykjavik - if you're expecting the Hilton and check in here you will be disappointed.
Also, the Leifur Eiriksson deserves a full 5 stars for its staff. The Average rating came about because of the cons listed below.
I stayed for a week in a single room.
- the staff are very friendly, were always helpful and knowledgeable
- they speak excellent English (much better than the few words of Icelandic I'd crammed the days before leaving) and several other languages to varying standards (I ran into a couple of French ladies who, staying at another hotel, had been having a hard time arranging things and getting information)
- they are happy to help you with bookings and local information, including phoning the bus companies to find out about fares and departures
- breakfast was already in the room rate, and included cereals, yoghurt, fruit, bread/toast and preserves, cold meats, cheese, pickled herring, waffles, tea, coffee and juice
- free tea and coffee is available to guests throughout the day in the cafe/bar area just past reception
- the rooms were cleaned daily and although the decor was basic and looking a little worn the whole place was clean
- the location was really great - 5 minutes' walk from Laugavedur, the main shopping street, 15 minutes' walk from the Old Town, where all the great restaurants are, and just around the corner from several of the best-rated cafes in town. The rest of Reykjavik and beyond are easily accessible from nearby bus stops and terminals
- there were plenty of power points available for charging phones, camera batteries etc.
- the room size was on the small side, with enough space for a single bed, desk, wardrobe and bedside table with a bit of floor space remaining for luggage. When you're only sleeping there what does it matter if it's "compact"?
- the bathroom was tiny - really it was a wet room with a toilet and handwash basin jammed in
- my room was in a separate building to reception and the main hotel, across the street
- the front door to this buliding has a dodgy lock. When I first arrived I thought the electronic key hadn't programmed, but the staff on reception knew about it and said it took a few attempts. Throughout my stay sometimes it worked first time, others it took up to eight swipes to get in. Not appreciated when it's -8 degrees out! The internal locks were also a little tricky - but not as bad as the front door. Why they don't fix it if it's a known problem I can't tell.
- there is no kettle in the room. To get the cup of coffee required to make me functional in the mornings I had to get up, showered, dressed and across the street. This might not seem a problem to most people but is important to me :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are a 3 star family run hotel located in the centre of Reykjavik city opposite the famous Hallgrims Church .Our Hotel is in a quiet part of Reykjavik city and offer free parking opposite our Hotel .We offer 50 rooms all with private bathroom facilites and free wi fi internet connection . ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hotel Leifur Eiriksson reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Leifur Eiriksson Hotel
- Leifur Eiriksson Reykjavík