“Best hostel we've ever stayed in!”

Reykjavik City HI Hostel
Ranked #16 of 109 Specialty Lodging in Reykjavik
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 17, 2007

We've stayed at this hostel twice (in 2005 and in 2001) and weren't disappointed on either occasion.

I should point out that, while it's one of the best hostels we've stayed in, it's also the most expensive! I believe we paid about £55 a night in 2005 for a double room with private shower. However you have to remember this is Iceland where a pint of beer costs £8!!

The rooms are spotlessly clean and contain bunk beds and one other bed (which is probably between the size of a double and single bed). The shower was fantastic - once you've got used to the smell of sulphur! (the hot water's heated geothermaly!)

The kitchen is generally clean and contains a fridge, microwave, hob and toasted-sandwich maker - no oven. If you're on a budget, cooking your own food here is one of the ways to ensure that you don't break the bank!! One tip - the local 7-11 Shop is convenient, but the Bonus shop in town is much cheaper!

The hostel is a pleasant 20-30 minutes walk from the centre of Reykjavik - along the bay with views of the mountains. If you're in a rush though, there is a bus passes the front door and isn't too expensive.

The swimming pool next door is worth a visit - you can't beat swimming in the heated water during the cold Icelandic nights!

• Stayed: June 2005, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Reykjavik City HI Hostel

Reviewed August 5, 2007

we stayed here for 1 night at the start and 1 night at the end of our trip, it was clean and comfortable, we had a room to ourselves and en suite shower , facilities for cooking were good and the ambiance was pleasant,. the staff were helpful and friendly.
not particularly central 30 minute walk to the center but it was nice to walk along the sea front.
if i returned to Reykjarvic i would not hesitate to stay here.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 20, 2007

People, everybody. This hostel is the best hostel I ever staid. My first impression of the hostel was oke. The check in procedure at the reception desk was smouthfully and the guy called Jason was superfriendly.

My room was nice. I was sleeping in a 4-bedded room with private facilities. The onliest thing that I was missing is lockers or some place were you can have your own place to put something on there.

I did several tours like whalewatching and horsebackriding. I also slept in other hostels around Iceland as well that I all booked at the reception desk of the hostel.

The staff is superfriendly and like I said before. Jason is a sweetheart, he is helping you with everything and is mostly of the time around. Thank you Jason for my nice stay!

And of course all the other staffmembers were nice. Always smiling altough it is busy, or at midnight. Or in the morning at the wonderfull breakfast.

Everybody this was my best hostel I ever slept!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled solo
2  Thank travelmonkey77
Reviewed January 30, 2007

Iceland was never a top destination for me, but when the opportunity arose to see the cold country during a stopover en route to Amsterdam, I seized the moment and booked a weekend at the Reykjavik City Hostel.

It was the first time I had ever stayed at a hostel, so I was nervous about the experience, but after staying as several other hostels later in my journey ... I have to admit this was without a question the best hostel I've ever seen.

Getting to the hostel was a breeze, with buses leaving regularly from the airport (unfortunately, it is a bit pricey and about 45 minutes away). The hostel itself is located within walking distance to downtown Reykjavik, but it will take you about 30 mins on foot (I'm a New Yorker, so I didn't find this to be such a terrible trek ... but I do advise you bundle up!!!) There is a bus stop across from the hostel, but I found the buses to come at irregular intervals (not so reliable).

The staff at the hostel was friendly and helpful with arranging day trips and tours. Buses will pick you up right at the hostel, a convenience I appreciated greatly when I realized most people had to board at the central bus station.

A bit of warning ... Iceland is, just as everyone else whines, extremely, ridiculously expensive. I couldn't find anything "reasonably" priced during my stay, so I tried to cut corners in any way possible so that I could splurge where I wanted to. One way I did this was by cooking every day I was there. The hostel has amazing kitchen facilities that made this easy to do.

Something I found a little odd - but interesting - was the hostel's use as somewhat of a recreation center. In the evenings, people would come to hang out in the lounge, watch movies, and have sports practices. During my stay, a pack of 8-year-old girls had their gymnastics practice in the cafeteria followed by a screening of Big Momma's House 2.

If you’re looking for a budget stay and don’t mind the idea of a hostel, this is the way to go.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled solo
1  Thank Elena N
Reviewed September 24, 2006

One of the realities of Iceland is that just about EVERYTHING is expensive there, even the hostels. However, if you're looking to cut costs in one area without denying yourself some of the unique experiences that Iceland can offer you, then the Reykjavik City Hostel is the place to stay. The prices were far better than any hotel I could find. The accommodations and common areas were clean, and the staff was very friendly. Breakfast was expensive though (about $8 per person, not included in the price), and there wasn't much variety. Just your usual Scandinavian pickings - yogurt, corn flakes, fresh rolls and jam. The food wasn't bad, just not worth the money in my opinion. A cheaper option would be to stock up on some basic foods (fruit, muffins, snacks) at the grocery store in town and just get the coffee or cappuccino at the hostel, which is free during breakfast hours and pretty cheap the rest of the day. You can't eat in your room, but there are plenty of tables in the common area, along with shelves of books, so you will have ample opportunities to make new friends or do some light reading. Also, there are vending machines with everything from sodas to snacks to personal items and toiletries. Lastly, there is an abundance of maps and information on local sights, vendors, and restaurants that is worth checking out before you make your plans for the day. The hostel was excellent at recommending and booking day trips for me and my husband during our visit.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Maruru
Reviewed September 20, 2006

Everything in Iceland is expensive, so I guess you can't count that against the hostel. Still, about £20 per bed in a 6-bed dorm was astounding.

Now for the positives...it is a near perfect hostel. Completely clean, efficient, helpful with booking tours and calling taxis. Other guests were generally considerate, even on the raucous Friday and Saturday nights when everyone is out till dawn. Breakfast was very nice, and included when we booked through hostelworld.com.

The location is not great, it is about a half hour walk into the city centre (or a £10 cab ride), and buses are not that frequent. But there is a supermarket or two nearby.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with friends
1  Thank alittleharsh
Reviewed September 18, 2006

This hostel is a few kilometers outside the city centre - if you like a good walk this is not a problem and there is plenty of beautiful scenery on the way! There is also a bus that leaves outside the hostel.
My husband and I were there for a long weekend. We found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The facilities seemed quite new, dorm rooms had ensuite bathrooms and were spacious and clean. The kitchens were also very clean and well kept for guests; we only cooked dinner there the one night but a pleasant and easy experience.
The hostel has a ton of facilities, they can arrange all sorts of tours and the airport bus will drop you off and pick you up there also.
I recommend this hostel highly.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple