“Excellent”

GreenLeadersGold level
Karlskrona, Sweden
“Excellent”
Reviewed December 26, 2009

Great place, very clean, big kitchen. Receptionists were very helpfull with informations.

Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed November 8, 2009

Inexpensive, clean, kitchen, ok location, nice vibe aside from one disgruntled person.

Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
everywhere
Reviewed August 24, 2009

You have a take the hourly bus from the city center if you stay here as it is in the eastern part of the city. If you walk consider wasting 45 minutes of your precious time in Iceland.
That said I actually liked staying here for one day because it was close to the amazing public pool (next door), and the ferry to Videy and the botanical gardens.
I think that for the price of two people you can pay 30-40 more precent and stay in the center.
But the hostel was really charming, one of the best I have stayed in. There are cute sitting rooms, an open kitchen, an awesome breakfast, a very hip feel to it. The architecture was cool. However as cute as this place is I would spend the extra 50 bones it you have it and stay in the center.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Troyes, France
Reviewed May 9, 2009

I booked through their youth hostle system online,
but when we arrived, the staff ask me to pay double,
because the system obviously calculated the price using the wrong
exchange rate, I showed the staff my confirmation letter they sent to me.
But still they said:"I am sorry but if you are going to stay, you just need to pay for the correct price, after all, it was the computer system's fault,
not ours."
I understood their stand, but I felt bad anyway.
In fact, it was even more expensive than a near hotel called CABIN,
which cost me 17 euro per night and per person, for a double room,
what was more, that 17 euro include an excellent breakfast BUFFET!
(view my review on Cabin hotel)

The room was clean , and security was OK, but the location is not
so good it might take 30 - 40 min to walk to the city center,
the refrige in the kitchen of west wing did not work so things stink,
anyway there were something left by former guests,
which means you can use freely.

You have to deposit 1,000 ISK for borrowing a hairdryer,
that night the staff forget to give me the receipt while I borrowed,
and the next morning I had an early flight to catch,
when I returned the hairdryer and ask for my deposit,
it took me a while since the staff last night did not give me the receipt.

In brief, I will not recommend this hostel,
unless I can not find any cheaper one :P

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank aimie0912
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed February 13, 2009

The location isn't great, about a 30-min walk into town but the amenities make up for it. The staff at the hostel are wonderful and quick to change a mistake in my booking without any problems, and the dorm room and ensuite were super clean. I loved how green this hostel is, and the organic buffet breakfast has to be the best out of 30+ countries and countless hostels I'ved stayed in! It was really convenient being able to book all sorts of tours at reception and get picked up from the hostel, as well as have the airport bus drop off and pick up people from the hostel too. The next time I am in Reykjavik, this is the only place I would consider staying in.

• Liked — friendly staff, commitment to being eco-friendly, kitchens, security, generous buffet breakfast, cozy common area
  • Disliked — internet is not very cheap, location is a bit far out of town
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank 063011h
Ringwood
Reviewed January 9, 2009

We stayed in this lovely hostel during our new year break. Everything was excellent. Loved the interior. Very tasteful and relaxing.No complaints at all. Just a few things I thought I should mention.
Organic breakfast was great. The hostel is lovely and warm all the time. Very clean kitchens (I noticed three). Next door zoo, botanical gardens and thermal pool are great for a relaxing day.
Trainee receptionist made us miss a northern light trip.She told us to wait till 7.30pm so she could find out if the weather conditions were ok for the trip to go ahead. When we got there at 7.30 she told us "the bus had already been and gone". When you are trying to see something very rare during your limited time this can be really heart breaking.
We booked a double room.We were given a room with a bunk bed and a slightly double bed. We ended up sleeping seperately. We thought that must be their definition for an en-suite double room but later i saw a room downstairs with a proper double bed while cleaners were working. If you are so bothered about your double bed size you might just want to ask.
We loved New Years celebrations.Weather was so mild. Bonfire and Fireworks were spectacular. We thought everything in Rejkjavik was so stress free. We'd love to go back again.

• Liked — Breakfast. Candle lit movie lounge.Lovely and warm all the time.
  • Disliked — Reception is just a reception.not very informative about trips.They just book it for you.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Canada
Reviewed January 1, 2009

I loved it here. 162 beds, all full when I was there, but the place was still neat & tidy. No complaints at all, and with the 'new' exchange rates, the USD & Euro go far--it's only about $15 US/night here.
The ladies at the front desk are suuuuper-helpful (and rather attractive). They all speak 5-6 languages too, which is helpful. For instance, I mentioned I'd like to see the film Reykjavik to Rotterdam, and the kind lady used Google to find movie times, then drew me a map to the movie theatre, which is only a ten minute walk away.
There is also loads of free parking, in case you feel like renting a car for day trips (I did this, and was happy with the freedom a car affords).
The hostel was awesome for meeting like-minded travellers--I met loads of cool Aussies, Germans, Canadians, Americans, and groups of Icelanders. We were there for Halloween, and everyone went out together. It was great.
The hostel is close to Iceland's biggest mall, The Kringlan, and right next door to the Lauvgar, the biggest pool in Reykjavik--they have five hot tubs! Bjork had been there the night before I arrived, which shows what a fundamental part of the cultural fabric the pool is to Icelanders.
That said, I would recommend everyone bring a bathing suit, towel & flip-flops as 'swimming' (relaxing in the hot-tub) is one of the cheapest & most fun activities to do in Reykjavik. Great way to meet locals. There is also a hot-dog stand (Pylsurvaginn) outside the pool. Cheap eats!
Also, paying the wee-bit extra for a room with less beds seemed to be a good move. I started out in a six-bunk room, but finished in a three-person room, which had a bathroom in it & quite liked that.
Any other questions you have, I'd be happy to answer, as Iceland is one of my favourite topics.

• Liked — Helpful staff, free wifi. Great kitchens to make your own meals in.
  • Disliked — Loved everything.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo