“What you'd expect for a 2 star hotel, but location is great”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Metropolitan Hotel

Metropolitan Hotel
Ranked #49 of 52 Hotels in Reykjavik
Marlborough, Massachusetts
“What you'd expect for a 2 star hotel, but location is great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

The room is spartan but clean; the overhead light does not work so we report it. It is not fixed during our four night stay. Unlike a hostel, the bathroom is all ours even though there is no lip on the shower so that entire room can easily flood. Buffet breakfast is included and consists of toast, cold cuts, cheese, cold cereal, and tea/coffee. Like the rest of the hotel, serviceable but not outstanding. What is terrific is that it is an easy two block walk to the city center, and from our perspective that easily offsets any lack of frills in a room we are only using to sleep in. Another plus: the desk is mainly staffed by two delightful young men who are extremely helpful and funny; the substitutes are less attentive to guests than to their computer. The budget conscious crowd is congenial and share tips. If you've graduated from hostels, this is the place for you.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

Having read the bad reviews which I must have missed when booking, I can only agree with most of them. Having arrived at 2am very tired we were informed with no apology that there was a burst pipe in our room so we were to go to other accommodation for the night and return the next day when our room would be fixed as the man was coming out the next morning - remarkable! Turns out they had overbooked as on returning from our temporary accommodation the person on reception knew nothing of this and gave us a room which had just been vacated ! The rooms are cramped for two people with a tiny bathroom. The window was filthy as was the roller blind. The room was never cleaned so no new sheets or towels over four days despite the sign saying they are cleaned five days a week. It's unreal that such an expensive city provides such poor quality - we would have been happy with basic and clean. This was sub standard and dirty. Never again.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Pomnbom

Travelers are raving about these Reykjavik hotels

St. Petersburg, Russia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

1-dirt, cleaning - to make a bed and to put toilet paper!
2-Not to tell the room was small - but hotel staff didn't manage to arrange a case, shelves - anything! only the hanger with a lattice for caps - to us was necessary to use suitcases as a case within a week! 3 - shower toilet a whole one person washes - the second - sinks: )
I won't will write more, besides, that number costs on 100% for an advance payment 150 euros a day. in Europe such costs 30 - max 50 euros in the center of Paris (Rome).

breakfast by the way normal for Europe - but dirt, dirt, dirt....

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
nortshore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

I used a website to book this hotel. After it was booked, I read the reviews on here and I was leery about staying at this place. The place was ok. I agree with one of the people here that said its “One step above a hostel”. I do not think is a three start hotel. Its more like a two or 1 1/2, depends on your opinion. The hotel is close to everything. For someone that is looking to get a clean place and not stay at a hostel, this is a great place. Its an inexpensive option and you are in the middle of everything. I got there and staff was really nice. It did not take me long to realize that the hotel was run by one person at the time. I dealt with three different staffs, they were very nice , helpful and friendly. There was some graffiti on the outside of the wall which made me a little worry, but don't be, its very common to see these around the city and there is certainly no much crimes in Iceland. So, I went to my room, there were two twin beds. It was clean. The bathroom was clean. The internet was not working in my room. The staff nicely switched me to another room, but I still had the same problem. The internet never worked in my room, which was frustrating. Every time I needed to use the internet, I had to go out to the hallway or the lobby. They had a decent breakfast. It was good enough to start your day until you get something else. It gave me the impression that the owners does not put much care into it. They could do so much improvement to this place, like use of card keys instead of actual keys, have reliable internet and have an actual lobby. I hope the owners read this and pay attention to these reviews because it could be a great place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Harrow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Great location near the old harbour, on a quiet road, Basic twin room, the sulphur smell from the hot tap is normal. Curtains could have been better as near 24hr daylight in June. Reception helpful and will book tours, so no need to book from home. Breakfast from 8am; watch out because tours may pick-up earlier (must annoy many guests). Hotel should be rated 2* not 3*
Reykjavik has good quality restaurants, for example Caruso is excellent. Overall I found food not overpriced, Choose the fish, lamb or beef in most places and you should enjoy. Avoid Whale menu as it is not traditional and stick to the Whale watching.
The 3 tours I did Golden circle, Reykanes and South coast all offer a taste of the fantastic scenery of Iceland. Take a rain coat and don't expect more than 15c in summer.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Summerside, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

Close to downtown.
Each room has its own bathroom.
Nice basic breakfast included.
Depended on who was at the front desk as to how we were treated.
Had to request towel change, made our own beds.
We will choose someplace else on our next visit.

Room Tip: If you need quiet choose a back room away from the elevator.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

I booked a double room with private bathroom many months before my journey (they wanted all the money at the moment of the online booking)...when i arrived at hotel desk at 15 pm Miss Katrin said to me my room was occupied for an error in the booking..so she sent me in another undefined place without any satisfying answers to my right questions but being totally ineducated and rude she said if i wasnt available to accept this i could delete my booking and sleep in another place(sure...my booking wasnt refundable!)..i had to leave the other location in the early morning and wait (again!) for my room.When at the end i had my room i asked 3 times to change my bedsheets so dirty full of hairs and stains..they said they did but they never changed...i was so disgusted i slept on the cover using my clothes to cover the bed surface...the bathroom a nightmare...little and old without windows and air systems...it has been really the worse place where i slept in my whole life...and the breakfast poor and bad with the tables unclean after other guests sitted before than you,i cleaned my table alone to sit and have a bad breakfast....dont go there...it's much better to sleep on the road!I wish place like these will be deleted from the online booking service websites!Metropolitan hotel in Reykjavik deserves to be closed with ppl work there inside and the key to open it just fired,burned!

• Stayed June 2013