“NEVER again!!”
Review of Metropolitan Hotel

Metropolitan Hotel
Ranked #50 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed November 10, 2012

We cannot believe that this is a 3-star hotel!! The rooms are tiny (no wardrobes or cupboards/shelves so you have to keep everyhing in your suitcase) and DIRTY. One of the beds had horrible stains and hairs on it!! We're sure they hadn't bothered to change the sheets. The towels were also dirty and the bathroom was in a really poor condition. It says in the reception that the rooms are cleaned 5 days a week, but "cleaning" only means emptying the rubbish bins. They don't make the beds, change towels etc... And we stayed for 5 nights. The service is mostly unfriendly and it seems thay just don't care. The location is good and the breakfast is more or less ok, but we will never ever stay in that hole again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank UnderTheSun09

Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

What a nightmare! And Hotwire has the nerve to charge $315.00 to stay here. I should have known when I checked in and the it was 35 degrees outside and the window was open to cover the mold smell!! Also how dare Hotwire to give this dump 3.5 stars!! My daughter and I left to stay at another hotel it was so bad!! Don't waste your money! They only deserve 1 star for there location or else they would have a minus 5 star rating!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank swapatty
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We chose this hotel because we found a great offer in booking.com and were going to check in late and out at 05:00 in the morning, so we didn't expect much... but got a little surprised. The hotel is rated as a 3 star hotel and I am not sure if that is alright considering the size of the room that we got. The hotel is near the midtown Reykjavík so some would think that is a great location. As soon as we stepped in to the hotel we felt like it would not bear those 3 stars, the lobby is not really promising, but ok. We got our keys and when we walked up stairs we felt like walking in a hostel it did not change much when we opened the door of our room, it was so tiny that it felt like we were just staying at grama's for the night. Something was thoug a litle cute about it until we opened the bathroom with a little strange smell and the wallcover mouldet. The double bed which was in one corner and can only be accessed from one side was not full size, just aproz. 140 cm. After shower in the morning all the bathroom was flooding aswell as the toilet that would have bin better to use before showering. If possible I would have rated this 2 and 1/2 star but settled with 2 stars because as a hotel it is no good 3 star. I would think that the best play for the hotel would be to change in to a expensiver hostel, it would lower peoples expections and would be possible to let it look really cute:-)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 26, 2012

During a 14-day stay in Iceland I stayed in 6 places. This "hotel" was by far the worst. The location was great.
I was travelling alone and did have a double bed which was a bonus.
However, the staff were bordering on unfriendly. The room was tiny. The bathroom was poorly ventilated so the smell of damp and sulphur was not good. There was no room for a suitcase let alone the 2 large holdalls. It was impossible to dry a load of damp diving kit. The bedspread was stained but at least the sheets were clean. I asked for a wake call at 7am and was woken at 7.45am when my pick up from the hotel was at 8am!!! I grabbed a cuppa and a piece of fruit for breakfast, there wasn't much more on offer and it did not look very appetising.
All in all I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Well, main clue here is "Cheap" and "Location". 2 nights, 2 persons for 140 Euros is not bad, but don't expect anything more than a place to sleep and take a shower. Room was clean, but we left the cups in the bathroom be... it's not a place you want to stay and relax in the day. They take about 6 euros to clean your room if you want new sheets and towels during your stay.

But that said, if you'd rather use your money on trips and attractions on Iceland, sleep here, grab a quick average toast with cheese and ham for breakfast and go exploring. But if you have a few more euros to spend on lodgings, I would advise you to use them...

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Although our friend Nick had prewarn us that a lot of locals in Reykjavik weren't exactly customer service driven, I did not expect to be faced with a complete and utter lack of hospitality from strangely enough, a hotel.

The Chinese woman sitting at Main Reception wore no uniform, she was wearing jeans as if she were sitting in her front room. We went to our room and it had two seperate single beds which is fine. The room was clean so there wasn't really much to complain about.

The bathroom isn't a bathroom at all - it is a wet room; the shower when turned on will wet EVERYWHERE. Plus when you did have the water on, the extremely strong scent of rotten eggs came through the shower that you felt dirtier coming out of a shower than when you first stepped into it.

I tried to use the room phone to call our friend Nick to meet up and there were no directions on how to get an outside line so when I got a hold of the Reception desk I asked her how do I do this and she scoffed into the phone and promptly hung up on me. Why have a phone in the room when it can't be used whatsoever?

Breakfast was absolutely atrocious as well. It was an absolutely cramped room painted in a thick white paint with dirty tables with dirty table cloths on top of them and a shelf which had cold meats, cheese, bread, an out of date toaster, an extremely basic waffle maker, cereal, etc. I asked the Chinese woman for syrup; her English was worse than the dirty tables and instead of jeans, she wore sweats; extremely professional!

My husband and I ended up eating outside of the hotel for most of our breakfasts!

I would never in a million years recommend this place - a friend of mine living in America said that he's keen on travelling to Reykavik. I told him to STAY AWAY from this so called hotel.

If there was a zombie infestation and this place was the only place in the world that was safe from the living dead, I would throw myself into a sea of zombies before even considering to run to this place.

Room Tip: They have black out curtains which is needed in Iceland during the summer. But I recommend committin...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ShortyGU12
Reviewed September 3, 2012

This is the second smallest hotel room I ever stayed in (#401). There is just enough space for a queen size bed (which might be original from when the hotel was built in the sixties) and a desk to put the TV on and a chair. If you happened to bring a suitcase you´d need to improvise. The hotel is old and so are the furnitures in the room even though the bathroom is renovated at some point the last decade. The bathroom is only about 2 sqm (20 sqf) though, including the shower area.

As other reviewers states the location is great. We also had a good experience with the staff. He did the best he could to handle the little breakfast buffet at the same time as he was checking out guests.

So, to conclude, if you expect this place to be a fancy hotel you´d be disappointed. If you expect a standard backpacker hostel you might find this a quite good place. Would I stay here again? Probably not. The price is about the same as other hotels in the area and I'd rather explore them before coming back here again.

Room Tip: Room 401 is the smallest on the floor according to the floorplan. It's also next to the elevator...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple