“One night only!”
Review of Metropolitan Hotel

Metropolitan Hotel
Ranked #50 of 55 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed September 26, 2012

During a 14-day stay in Iceland I stayed in 6 places. This "hotel" was by far the worst. The location was great.
I was travelling alone and did have a double bed which was a bonus.
However, the staff were bordering on unfriendly. The room was tiny. The bathroom was poorly ventilated so the smell of damp and sulphur was not good. There was no room for a suitcase let alone the 2 large holdalls. It was impossible to dry a load of damp diving kit. The bedspread was stained but at least the sheets were clean. I asked for a wake call at 7am and was woken at 7.45am when my pick up from the hotel was at 8am!!! I grabbed a cuppa and a piece of fruit for breakfast, there wasn't much more on offer and it did not look very appetising.
All in all I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed September 12, 2012

Well, main clue here is "Cheap" and "Location". 2 nights, 2 persons for 140 Euros is not bad, but don't expect anything more than a place to sleep and take a shower. Room was clean, but we left the cups in the bathroom be... it's not a place you want to stay and relax in the day. They take about 6 euros to clean your room if you want new sheets and towels during your stay.

But that said, if you'd rather use your money on trips and attractions on Iceland, sleep here, grab a quick average toast with cheese and ham for breakfast and go exploring. But if you have a few more euros to spend on lodgings, I would advise you to use them...

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Although our friend Nick had prewarn us that a lot of locals in Reykjavik weren't exactly customer service driven, I did not expect to be faced with a complete and utter lack of hospitality from strangely enough, a hotel.

The Chinese woman sitting at Main Reception wore no uniform, she was wearing jeans as if she were sitting in her front room. We went to our room and it had two seperate single beds which is fine. The room was clean so there wasn't really much to complain about.

The bathroom isn't a bathroom at all - it is a wet room; the shower when turned on will wet EVERYWHERE. Plus when you did have the water on, the extremely strong scent of rotten eggs came through the shower that you felt dirtier coming out of a shower than when you first stepped into it.

I tried to use the room phone to call our friend Nick to meet up and there were no directions on how to get an outside line so when I got a hold of the Reception desk I asked her how do I do this and she scoffed into the phone and promptly hung up on me. Why have a phone in the room when it can't be used whatsoever?

Breakfast was absolutely atrocious as well. It was an absolutely cramped room painted in a thick white paint with dirty tables with dirty table cloths on top of them and a shelf which had cold meats, cheese, bread, an out of date toaster, an extremely basic waffle maker, cereal, etc. I asked the Chinese woman for syrup; her English was worse than the dirty tables and instead of jeans, she wore sweats; extremely professional!

My husband and I ended up eating outside of the hotel for most of our breakfasts!

I would never in a million years recommend this place - a friend of mine living in America said that he's keen on travelling to Reykavik. I told him to STAY AWAY from this so called hotel.

If there was a zombie infestation and this place was the only place in the world that was safe from the living dead, I would throw myself into a sea of zombies before even considering to run to this place.

Room Tip: They have black out curtains which is needed in Iceland during the summer. But I recommend committin...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ShortyGU12
Reviewed September 3, 2012

This is the second smallest hotel room I ever stayed in (#401). There is just enough space for a queen size bed (which might be original from when the hotel was built in the sixties) and a desk to put the TV on and a chair. If you happened to bring a suitcase you´d need to improvise. The hotel is old and so are the furnitures in the room even though the bathroom is renovated at some point the last decade. The bathroom is only about 2 sqm (20 sqf) though, including the shower area.

As other reviewers states the location is great. We also had a good experience with the staff. He did the best he could to handle the little breakfast buffet at the same time as he was checking out guests.

So, to conclude, if you expect this place to be a fancy hotel you´d be disappointed. If you expect a standard backpacker hostel you might find this a quite good place. Would I stay here again? Probably not. The price is about the same as other hotels in the area and I'd rather explore them before coming back here again.

Room Tip: Room 401 is the smallest on the floor according to the floorplan. It's also next to the elevator...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We stayed at this "hotel" for five nights and it was worst place in our experience. First the clerk wanted to put us in different building with bath room somewhere out of room, explaining that someone decided to stay more so they do not have room for us. When we insisted we want to stay where we reserved place she called to her boss and finally gave us room #202. It was very small room with dirty walls, and dirty bed sheets and towels. By our demand they changed them, but they also did not look fresh enough. When we took the shower, which was exactly like in Cruciata's review, the drain did not work properly so water was all around the floor. We said about this to clerk asking to give us normal room, but she refused saing that her boss did not permit to do this. She refused also to let us to speak with her boss by phone, saing that boss will be in hotel next morning, and promised to move us next day in another room. Next day they moved us in, more or less, normal room, at least with working drain it the bath room. But for rest of four days they never changed bed sheets, only one tyme by our demand changed towels. So our trip in Iceland, very beatiful country, with beatiful people, was spoiled by this very unbeatiful incident.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for two nights when we were in Reykjavik, allthough I wouldnt consider it a hotel really. It's more like a hostel. Nice location, and the second room we got outside of the main building had a better bathroom. The service could've been much better than it was too.

When we booked the hotel, we asked if it was wheelchair accessible, and requested a wheelchair accessible room. The hotel said "no problem", but when we got there, there were three stairs to get into the hotel, and such a tiny bathroom that I could not get into it with my wheelchair, although my manual wheelchair is a really small one (+ a big step into the bathroom). The elevator was tiny too, but I did get into it with my small manual wheelchairs. Others would not. We did get another room, that was a little bit better (some small steps into the room, but a bathroom that I could get into).

I will not recommend this hotel to others. There are so many other nice places to stay on Iceland, and we got to try other places that were so much better for reasonable prices.

Room Tip: Rather the one outside of the main building on the ground floor, rather than 303...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 16, 2012

You are taking a huge risk if you choose this hotel. It's location is great and that is why we selected it, however when we arrived early in the morning after an overseas flight, the hotel clerk kept our bags behind the desk and said we would be in the annex, which was fine with us, but would need to come back to move into the room at noon. When we returned they told us there was no room available and they bumped us to another hotel across town, not in walking distance of the downtown, which was why we had selected the Metropolitan to begin with. Also, we had arranged for 4 tours of Iceland while we were staying there, all of which were to pick us up and deliver us back to the Metropolitan. After arguing about no room availability and having the confirmation in our hand, we got nowhere. The desk clerk could hardly speak English which only made it more frustrating. Everything had to be rearranged and it was a horrid experience as we had to spend time moving rather than enjoying our stay in the area. In fact, on our of our tours, we met another person who had also been prevented from checking in even though he had a reservation too. You are taking a huge risk if you think you are going to stay there. I do not recommend it! Page from Washington, DC

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family