“Maybe OK for you but not for us.”

Travel Inn Guesthouse
Ranked #92 of 109 Reykjavik B&B and Inns
Everett, Washington
“Maybe OK for you but not for us.”
Reviewed September 6, 2011

We choose this place for the location as we like to walk and use public transportation. Imagine our surprise when we arrived (reservations made in May) and there was no room for us. We were provided a nice apartment but it was way too far to walk. We tried to rent a car from them but it wouldn't start. We were dropped off there (Tungevager) with the assurance there was a bus stop near by. We probably wasted 20% of our awake time because of the change in lodgings. If you always rent cars this might not concern you. For us, if we can't depend on getting what we reserved, its not worth it. They could have emailed us a day or two earlier with the changes. No we find out as we are standing in the place. So we have no idea what the Travelers Inn would be like to stay there. There were other problems too including rudeness. Consider yourself warned.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank lakesteve

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Reviewed August 29, 2011

The place is dirty, untidy, small, oppressive, the breakfast is poor and very bad, but the worst thing is the owner. He is an orribile man very unpolite and aggressive, we had a lot of problem with the price of reservation: don't let him your credit card number! Our stay in this B & B has been a real nightmare!

• Stayed July 2011
10 Thank Pandemonium68

Travelers are raving about these Reykjavik hotels

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2011

Clean and cheap rooms so ideal if you're staying on a budget - the young receptionist was very friendly but unfortunately he only works a few days - which means you will probably encounter the older guy. He is rude and miserable and shouldn't really be in the hospitality business as he clearly hates tourists!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank caiparry
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed June 12, 2011

I had a meeting at the university in Reykjavik and Travel Inn is 10 minutes walk away. City is 10 minutes in the other direction. Also 2 minutes to the bus station with airport buses and 1 minute to 24/7 fastfood and minimart.
I had probably the best room with i double bed and a single. I arrived after 22 and was welcomed by the daughters in the family who also helped me to log in on the good wi-fi. I had double checked by email if late arrival was ok and they had confirmed that if I called the number on the entrance door someone would arrive in 5-10 minutes to check you in. Breakfast was simple but adequate.
Stay cool and avoid the confrontational manager and you have an excellent base for your Reykjavik visit.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank MexMats
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed April 24, 2011

I should have read the reviews here on Tripadvisor first. My fault. Anyway, I was looking for a accomodation for my two friends with small child. They needed a self-cat accomodation for couple of nights nights. According to the website for Travel Inn, they provide that in one of their properties called Pavi Apartments. Since we were all already in Reykjavik we have decided to drive there and see what's in store.

Here the fun starts. It's located in the shabbiest, dirtiest area of Reykjavik. Believe me, those exist. The building from outside look absolutely run down, some windows were replaced with wood. Since there is no reception and the doors were locked, we have called the number on the door. At this point my friend lit the cigarette, standing on sidewalk, 20 meters from the door. I was on the phone with the manager (?) and he was starting to ask me odd question, who are my friends to me and why I want to book a room for them. I explained him it was a language barrrier, but he said something like "are you their boss?". WTF?? Then he appeared on the entrance and seeing my friend smoking a cigarette about 20 meters away he started to shout NO SMOKING. He repeated that 14 times ( I counted ), each time louder. When I told him that I got the message he started threating me how much will he charge me for smoking in the room, and he provided price in Norwegian Kronas! I wasn,t able to ask anything about the rooms etc - he mostly shouted about smoking. I told thim that we now that, and since when smoking on a sidewalk is a crime? Then he shouted again about charges for smoking and told us that he didn't like is. At this moment I thanked him for his time and told him I would not be doing business with him.

That's overall experience - if the welcome is like that what is the rest of the stay? As I said at the beginning, I should have read the reviews first.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank Clavius_R
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed October 20, 2010

I don't even know where to begin - the manager of this place is a complete A$$H0LE! He first started insinuating inappropriate things amongst the girl/guy ratio of our group. He then kicked us out of the kitchen at 9:30AM so he could start cleaning and then yelled at one of us for eating on the couch (finishing the meal we couldn't in the kitchen). He was overall just an unpleasant guy and kept calling us "terrible" and saying he couldn't wait till we were gone. He was our first impression of icelandic people, but we soon realized he's just miserable, everyone else was really nice. The place itself isn't bad, everything is decently clean and the rooms are decent sized. You can get private rooms (2 per room) with bathrooms either inside or just outside for a good price. But the manager of the place just ruins the whole experience!!! He literally kicked us out on the morning of our checkout...

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
4 Thank koticphreak
manchester, england
Reviewed September 22, 2010

Me and my partner spent a night squirming through some of the reviews on here before deciding that we had the choice to either go ahead and book the Travel Inn Guesthouse or not have enough money to go on the excursions we knew would be expensive but once-in-a-lifetime. I'm so glad we took the tight route and booked here - granted I wouldn't recommend this as an exceptional honeymoon worthy place but, if you are wanting to travel around Iceland, it's literally over the road from the BSI coach station which will take you to the blue lagoon, Golden Circle, airport etc. (Really really recommend þórsmörk park if the trips are running.)
From the reviews on here I was expecting an experience akin to the 'Hostel' films but instead got more of a harmless 'Fawlty Towers' - the guy everyone is moaning about seemed well intentioned if not a little tactless in making sure everything is OK (our only real encounter was him banging on the door in the evening just to ask if we needed anything!).
Reykjavik is so tiny that the complaints on here that it's 'too far away from the city centre' are laughable - I recommend using a technique called walking and after five minutes you will find yourself in the middle of town.
Was fortunate enough to spend fifteen days in Iceland mainly for work, four of which were spent at the Guesthouse as a holiday - as much as I like Reykjavik the countryside is the real Iceland and you must travel as much as possible to get the most out of your trip - it is an amazing and beautiful place. The one night that I was put up in the Plaza hotel in the middle of town was nice but certainly not worth another sixty pounds a night if I was paying for it.
The Travel Inn Guesthouse is a very adequate and 'get what you pay for' place, but if it allows you to go on one more excursion, or hire a car, by being a third of the cost of anywhere else in the capital then I would certainly consider what you need from your accomodation and get out into the country. In honesty, none of this mattered to us we just took the cheapest room going to be able to see the most of this amazing country. I've dreamed of Iceland every night since I left!
Enjoy your trip!