“Lovely stay for the first time at Reykjavik”
Review of Hotel Cabin

Hotel Cabin
Ranked #47 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed October 24, 2013

After reading a couple of reviews, I did not know what to expect.
As this room was booked by a travel operator, I did not know what kind of room I had.
Moreover, as I am kind of claustrophobic, I was dreading a room without a window.
I had a hotel drop, and it it was just after check-in time that I got in.
I got a hassle free check-in, with at least 2-3 people at the reception always. The room was on the 6th floor, with a sea view, and quite roomy, clean and comfortable. I loved it!
It is very thoughtful of the hotel to put up notices on the daily weather, or the status of the coach trips (by different operators).
They also have a tourist info desk where it is also possible to book tours and also buy souvenirs.
I was already aware that there was early breakfasts for people, but it was indeed a surprise when I booked my airport shuttle and the receptionist mentioned this herself!

What I didn't like was that even though there were fresh towels and the room was cleaned well daily, there was a stain on the bed sheet, that shouldn't have been there. I'm not too fussy so I slept on it for 3 nights, and it didn't bother me.
Also, the second day, I found the window had been opened by housekeeping, but it was open at an odd angle and couldn't close it after that.
So I just turned up the heater a little bit and slept quite well!

Facts:
-- Breakfast is ample, with 2 juices (not real ones though), different kinds of tea and coffee, bread, cheese, ham, and lots of salad. They also have yogurt and eggs; breakfast is from 6 to 10.
-- For those who don't like walking, this is about 3 kms from the center, but there are 3 buses that stop right next to the hotel (4,12 and another one I think). A day pass is quite cheap, 700 or 900 ISK, 350 for a single trip.
For others, you can either take the lovely shore walk, or the shopping street. They are both lovely!
-- All maps are available, and bus passes can be bought at the hotel, staff helpful.
-- ATM on the other side of the road, at about 150 mtrs.
-- There is also a Subway and supermarket right in front of the hotel.

Overall: satisfied, would go back again!

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor (until 608) are front facing and have sea view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank RRay84
Geir G, Director of Sales at Hotel Cabin, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Dear RRay84

Thank you for your stay and your review. I am glad to hear you liked the hotel. You are of course right that the stain is not ok and shouldn´t have been there. We will look into that and also why the window was left open.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

We had this hotel booked by someone else and were very concerned that it was a budget hotel, however our concerns were unjustified as it was warm, welcoming, clean and the staff were just so helpful. Fantastic!

1  Thank Dianne A
Geir G, Director of Sales at Hotel Cabin, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Dear Dianne A

I am glad to hear that you liked our hotel and we hope to see you in Iceland again.

Give our thanks to the person who booked the hotel for you :-)

Reviewed October 18, 2013

I was very impressed did this week trip on my own very freindly staff that I got to know some hello and some and chat with, the tour desk lady is extremely helpful and as im the backpacker type was the go to person for me and laughed at my pronouncing of places like jokulsarlon which broke the ice but she organised and recommended and changed things or inquired, and the reception were excellent as they work long shifts the guy with an American accent forgot his name when I thought my passport had gone missing hrs before leavin made his priority to find it and even woke me up like I asked Very nice country and hotel defo go again and if they had trips to northwest, north north east and east from Reykjavik would do costly but worth it defo a country to visit again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Mike R

Dear Mike R

Thank you for your stay at hotel Cabin. I am glad to hear that you liked our hotel and I will make sure that the staff will hear of your review.

Hope to see you in Iceland again.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

We booked a three night break through Icelandair and got the Cabin Hotel not the one advised in the advert. We were a bit annoyed as this hotel is slightly further out of the Centre. However as it turned out it was not too bad at all. The walking distance to town is about 20 mins+ and we eventually decided that walking along the seafront was probably just as quick. There is a reliable bus service. Several good restaurants are within a few hundred metres or you could eat in the hotel. We did on one night and it was quite satisfactory but just a cold salad bar with a hot main dish which was glazed chicken wings. The price included soup, main, dessert, coffee, soft drinks.
The hotel itself was warm and comfortable. The rooms are very small and there is little space to put your clothes away but there is hanging space. Everything was clean and serviced daily.
The staff are very friendly and all speak excellent English. I don't know how they keep their smiles being asked the same questions over and over. All excursiions pick-up and drop at the Hotel.

5  Thank HampshireWorrier

Dear HampshireWorrier

Thank you for your stay at Hotel Cabin. I am glad to hear that you liked our hotel and our salad bar. We always try to recommend the walk downtown if the weather permits since it is a nice scenic walk.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

We arrived at the hotel easily via Flybus from the airport. We were booked into a Standard Room which turned out to be two single beds and a tiny table crammed into an equally tiny room. We decided to upgrade to a Deluxe room which was much more spacious and comfortable, although it did smell of cigarettes! The upgrade worked out at about £20 per night. Unfortunately we would have had to upgrade to a Superior room for free WiFi, but as the excursion coaches are fitted out with free WiFi anyway, we didn't need to pay to use the hotel's.

Breakfast was reasonable -- no hot food but plenty of bread, boiled eggs, cereals, etc. Dinner was a little more restrictive with the same cold salad everyday. There was one hot meal offered each evening, but if you're a vegetarian like myself you won't have much joy there! The price is around £10 per person, which includes cold and hot drinks and as much food as you want. There were a few other options nearby; a Subway opposite the hotel and shops and coffee shops further along the road. About 20 mins walk or so to the centre for more shops and restaurants.

The hotel was very convenient for getting around and had good facilities. I would stay again when I next visit Reykjavik!

Room Tip: Upgrade to Deluxe if you will be spending any time in the room
8  Thank Kolo90
Geir G, Director of Sales at Hotel Cabin, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2013

Dear kstephens90

Thank you for your stay and your review. I am glad to hear that you liked the hotel. The standard rooms are for sure small and therefor many of our guests prefer the deluxe rooms. The upgrade is not always possible so I always recommend guests to book the deluxe in the beginning if they are worried that the standard rooms are too small.

The location of the hotel is good as you say for getting around and it is very easy to get in and out of Reykjavík from the hotel.

We look forward to seeing you in Reykjavík again.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

Just back from 7 nights and had a great stay. The hotel was clean, warm and the staff friendly. The buffet breakfast was ample and always had a good choice.

I stayed in a single room on the 4th floor looking out onto the bay and mountains. The rooms may not be the biggest but was fine for me.

Some people may have an issue with distance to the centre but I really enjoyed the walk along the front to the downtown area ( 20 mins ) There is a subway sandwich place straight across from the hotel and a few stores and coffee shops down the street.

The Laugardalslaug pool is 5 mins away and is well worth a visit.

A nice value hotel.

Room Tip: I e mailed ahead for a front facing room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank azertyuiop

Dear azertyuiop

Thank you for your review and for your stay. I am glad to hear that you liked our hotel and that the breakfast was ample.

I agree with you about the walk to the center, it is an enjoyable walk along the shore. Also the geo thermal pool in Laugardalur is surely worth the visit.

Hope to see you in Iceland again.

Best regards

Reviewed October 1, 2013

We stayed in this hotel during our tour to Iceland (planned by travel agency, we did not choose it). The room was clean but basic, it was the smallest room we have ever stayed in. There were twin beds, when we asked for a double bed, we were told that we can only upgrade the room for an extra fee. Wifi internet is paid extra, too.
Breakfast was the same every day, one type of cheese, one type of ham, some vegetables, eggs, cereals stuff... but after 3 days we did not really know what to choose. Dinner was available for reasonable price - one warm course and cold buffet, wider than breakfast. A good choice if you are lazy to go somewhere else.
The location is not that convenient as it is quite far from the center.
Personnel was always helpful.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Daniela D

Dear Daniela D

Thank you for your stay and your review. Our standard rooms are indeed small, about 10 square meters but as you say we aim to have it clean and comfortable.

The salad bar is available for a reasonable price in lunch and dinner and it includes a hot plate, two soups and cold buffet.