“Fantastic staff--very nice time” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Natura

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Natura
Ranked #32 of 53 Hotels in Reykjavik
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Mount Shasta, California
“Fantastic staff--very nice time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

This hotel was booked as part of Travel Zoo's/Iceland Air's "Experience the Arctic North." package. The Hotel was very clean and comfortable. The standard room was all you would need for the one or two nights you will spend there on this package. However, on the last night we decided to splurge a bit and upgrade to the "Art Room." It had two beds and maybe a little more room. They added some additional things like body lotion etc. It also included the SPA/Massage/Pool/Hot tub entrance fee. However, I would not spend the extra $57.00 for this room. Stay with the standard room that comes with the package. The staff at the desk were wonderful.They went beyond the call of duty. They were kind, helpful and so compassionate. I can't say enough good about them. The package included breakfast everyday except the day you arrive. If you eat at the hotel that day, it will cost you about $45.00 for two of you (5,000 krona). The food was very good and lots of it. Scrambled eggs, sweet rolls, sausage, yogurt, fruit, etc. It was satisfying and you can go back as often as you wish. Dinner at the hotel restaurant "SATT" was ok but nothing to write home about. We both had the hamburger with fries. It was ok, but not what we are used to seeing or eating. The hotel is next to the domestic airport but with the double pane windows, the airport noise was minimal.

There is a travel desk inside the hotel which was great and helped us plan and book our tours in and around Reykjavik. Everyone in Iceland speaks English so there is never a problem with the language even in small shops in town. Everyone from taxi's, hotel, stores etc take VISA or Master Card...Right now the exchange rate is about 113 Krona to one dollar. So, I would recommend you get about 20-40,000 Krona for incidentals. That is a little over $350.00 U.S...You have the option at the ATM's at the airport or other locations to choose any amount from 5,000 Krona up..One of the "perks" we enjoyed was the free city bus pass the front desk provides. We rode it downtown with another couple. We went to the Northern Lights museum and had a good time taking the local bus all over.

Overall it was a great experience at this hotel. I would recommend it highly.

Room Tip: Bring an electrical coverter..they use 220 in Iceland and you will need one to use your stuff (110...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Robnev

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (479)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Poznan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

The hotel is really nice. Even though it is far form the center, they give free bus stop pass. Anyway, it is good it not right in the center, because it is less hussled and stuff. One of best things is the service. The are really extremally nice in the reception desk. Working very hard. The breakfests are something one can never forget. Lots of food, and the excellent food.

Room Tip: Just try to get a room to the west. You will have a look to Atlantic.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Eryk K
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

Stayed at this hotel for a week as part of an Icelandic Air package for which this was the only hotel option. Was a bit worried at first about it being a bit far away from city center but that turned out not to be a problem at all, and in some ways even a good thing. Reason being, downtown is not really that far away (although you wouldn't want to walk in bad weather), about a mile, and with the free bus passes provided by the hotel, and the very reliable bus service (bus number 19, every half hour right on schedule – hotel has the timetable – stops on the street right in front) the trip only takes about 5 minutes. And if you have time to walk around, Perlan (good view point of Reykjavik and has a restaurant – used to also house the Saga museum which has now been moved to the old harbor) is just a little ways up the hill opposite the hotel, the Nautholsvik geothermal beach about half a mile away through the wooded trail on the same hill (can also go on the street but the trail's a lot prettier), and the Nautholl restaurant near the beach is recommended as a good dining option.

The hotel itself has contemporary design, the lobby bright, airy and cheerful with a number of funny wooden sculptures (of life size people and sheep). The standard rooms are small and minimally furnished. Ours had twin beds as we got there early in the morning and that's all they had available. These are European style, quite narrow and short, like bunk beds, a bit soft although not saggy – the all cotton bedding with small duvet covered quilt was quite comfortable however. The room was very clean but had the feel of a relatively nice dormitory. There is no safe and the TV is outdated tube style. You better not have a lot of luggage as there will be no space to spread out (the room door opens outwards and there's a good reason for that design). Typically, the bathroom only has a shower, no tub. At first it felt so cramped we considered upgrading (but was deterred by the price tag of at least $58 additional per night). In the end we pushed the two twin beds together to form a makeshift king (better than changing to another standard room with a small double bed) and that was a huge improvement – otherwise we'd really spend most of the night trying not to fall off. Other than these imperfections, everything else functioned well. The aircon was very quiet, shower hot and fairly strong, and the electric hot water maker very handy, better than a coffee maker. Soundproofing was good, we were on the second floor right over the entrance, where there's a constant procession of cars and buses passing by but we never heard any noise. Nor did we hear anyone next door, except when occasionally people right outside in the hallway talking.

Breakfast buffet in the hotel's Satt restaurant was relatively standard – you'll find almost all breakfast food groups there but it's not something you'd go out of your way to get. The scrambled eggs were the most watered down I'd ever had –it was more custard than actual eggs (if you want real eggs go for the soft or hard boiled eggs which were much better). There's no variation in cooking style of any items ever, you'd get the exact same scrambled eggs, boiled potatoes, beans and sausages everyday, as well as the cold items and pastries – of which first two days there were some small chocolate croissants but after that they were replaced by other less tasty bakery items. For tea drinkers they did have Dammann Freres teas, which although a bit on the weak side, come with a good assortment of interesting flavors. Had the weather been better the week we were there we'd have gone into town some mornings for breakfast just to break the monotony but as it was, with snow/sleet/rain everyday we were thankful for the convenience of eating in. It was, after all, a filling and healthy breakfast, one that'd get you well prepped to set out into the cold for a day of excursions or exploring.

The one luxury at the hotel is the Soley Nature Spa, which has the only indoor hotel geothermal pool (not really large enough for swimming but good for floating about), hot tub (can hold up to 8 comfortably), sauna and steam room. It is very much worth trying even at additional cost (about $14 per person per use unless you are in an upgraded room that includes spa access). Other conveniences/facilities include an in house travel agent who can book all excursions, even at the last minute, 2 computer terminals in the lobby for internet use (wifi in the rooms is free and worked very well also).

Room Tip: The standard rooms are all very small and basic. Twin beds very tiny. For a more spacious room you...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank paxa
Trausti K, Public Relations Manager at Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Natura, responded to this review, March 31, 2014

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel, Reykjavik Natura.

First of all I would like to thank you for your detailed review which I am positive that will come in handy for other readers. I am glad to see that you tried out most of the nearby attractions and you obviously made use of all the exciting attractions that are to be found in the nearby surroundings.

I can understand that you did not want to spend money on an upgrade at this time but I encourage you if you stay with us again to go for the upgrade to a deluxe room. I am positive that you will find it to be worth your money.
All in all I would like to thank you again for your review and I do hope that you will visit us again in the near future.

Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

Stayed 3 nights as part of Iceland air package. Good, cheap hotel. Great service & rooms. Rooms that are facing local airport is very noisy. 15 minute walk to the city center. You can also get voucher for local bus to the center. Staff are very knowledgeable and friendly.

• Stayed November 2013

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel, Reykjavik Natura.

I am glad to see that you found our hotel to be good and our staff to be knowledgeable and friendly. I however am sorry to see that you experienced disturbance from the nearby domestic airport. Usually our guests do not get any disturbance and on the contrary find it quite fascinating to have a room facing the airport. I am guessing that you experienced some noise from the airport during the day since it is not open in the evenings and during nighttime. If you find yourself in this situation again I advise you to just close the windows in the room since they are totally soundproof.

Thank you again for your five star review and all your compliments to our staff, I will make sure that they receive your kind words.

New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014

I booked my trip through a package with Icelandic Air and with the dates selected this was my only hotel choice so I was initially a bit bummed to end up with a hotel outside of the city center and next to a domestic airport. However, I really enjoyed my stay.

Inside was warm and we never heard the airport next door, they must have used some good insulation during construction. Also, hotel guests can grab a free bus pass from the front desk, which was incredibly convenient since the bus stop was out front and came by twice an hour.

The free breakfast was also a great perk since as you may have heard food is expensive in Iceland. Everything was clean throughout the hotel and everyone we spoke with was helpful and friendly. And while the 'nature theming' in the rooms isn't anything crazy it was still a fun touch. We had a room with two twin beds; I found mine plenty comfortable and the down comforter kept me cozy at night, even after being outside in snowy, rainy, and windy conditions all day.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel, Reykjavik Natura.

I am glad to see that you were pleasantly surprised by our hotel. I am glad that you were able to make use of our free bus pass and that you had the breakfast included in your package. And yes you are correct about the insulation of the building; it eliminates all the noise from the airport so our guests do not need to worry about that and can instead enjoy all the indoor activities at Reykjavik Natura.

Thank you again for your positive review and I will make sure to pass your compliments on to our staff.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014

Stayed for 2 nights in Feb 2014 as part of an Icelandair package. Disappointed that we were not able to get into our room as early as the trip info said we would, hence a lot of people camped out in the lobby waiting for rooms to be ready. Room was clean and the bed was comfortable. Staff at front desk, restaurant and tour desk were all friendly and helpful. Buffet breakfast was excellent including gluten free items; be sure to try the Skyr in tiny jars - delicious! Takes about 20 minutes on foot to walk into downtown Reykjavik, municipal bus system easy to use to get to and from the hotel. Hotel has a pool/spa in the basement - it looked great and I wish I had had time to take a dip. Stayed in two different rooms on two different nights. Travelled with 2 friends but were unable to book a triple occupancy room on the Icelandair website even though my friend ended up getting a room that could accommodate 3 people in separate beds? Good value to book a package thru Icelandair at this time of the year ( February).

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel, Reykjavik Natura.

I am sorry to see that you had to wait for your room, we always try our very best to have the rooms ready as soon as possible but unfortunately there comes the time when we need to ask our guests to wait for a bit while we get their rooms ready.

I am glad to see, despite the waiting, that you had a great time at our hotel and that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful; I will make sure to pass your compliments on to them. I agree with you regarding the Icelandic “Skyr” – so healthy and delicious.

I hope that you will visit us again soon and hopefully you will then be able to try out our indoor spa – it truly is amazing. And if you will visit us again I advise you to book through our website since you will then have the spa included in your stay.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

Our trip seemed to be one where we were destined to leave things behind. On our flight in from Akureyri, I had left my e-reader on the plane. The staff at the front desk were so helpful - they called Icelandair who had located it, they then arranged to have it delivered to the hotel on my behalf. Later in our trip, gloves were left in the vehicle of one of the tour operators. Again the front desk came to the rescue.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mary Y

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel, Reykjavik Natura.

I can understand that it´s easy to leave things behind when you are experiencing all the wonderful things that Iceland has to offer. I am glad to see however that our staff was able to assist you and that you did not need to buy a new pair of gloves or a new e-reader.
I hope that you will visit us again sometime in the future.