“Great Iceland Vacation” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Ontario, Canada
“Great Iceland Vacation”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

Enjoyed my trip to Iceland. The Hotel Natura was clean and the staff were helpful and accommodating. The restaurant at the hotel the "Satt" had a limited dinner menu and seemed a bit expensive for what you got (especially expensive were the appetizers) and the breakfast buffet was OK (the cold food items) but offering a greater assortment of hot food options would be welcomed. Beans, home fries, boiled sausage and fake eggs every day seemed a little strange and boring. Paying for internet each day for each device you wanted to use was an unwelcomed charge. The pool and hot tub were comfortable and clean. Front desk staff were professional but cold. On check out it would have been nice to hear "hope you enjoyed your stay" "safe trip home" etc. - Instead - no comment was made - so I did not leave the hotel feeling my business was appreciated.

Room Tip: The rooms are much nicer on the 4th floor than what we had on the 2nd floor. If you like to sleep w...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (479)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Olney, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

Don't be put off by the exterior of this hotel - looks like an office building - because the interior has been totally renovated and it's fabulous! There were 6 of us in our Icelandair Northern Lights Travelzoo vacation at he end of March, early April. We extended our stay 3 nights to make it a full week (5 nights there and 2 nights in Akurery (sp?). It is not located in the heart of Reykjavik but they offer free bus passes- bus leaves 2x/hr across the street - and it wasn't a problem at all. The hotel restaurant, Satt, was so excellent, we ate there by choice most nights. There was also an extensive breakfast buffet that we really enjoyed. The warm water pool and hot tub in the basement was a welcome retreat. The staff was all fluent in English and very kind and helpful. Rooms were clean and comfortable. I would gladly stay there again.

Room Tip: Basic rooms were toward the back; upgraded rooms closer to the side where the restaurant was. We st...
1 Thank oboe1956
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

I was a bit concerned when I first booked this hotel because it is located at the domestic airport and there may be a lot of noise. Frankly, I didn't hear a single plane. The location is out of the way and not at all close to "downtown". I had a car the first day so was able to stock up on food and there was an empty fridge inside the room to keep my perishables. The room was also very small and is commonly small in Iceland from my survey of other tourists. There was also only a shower in the bathroom which I also heard is the norm. My room also had a horrible draft and the temperature would barely stay above 18 at night. I informed the front desk and they asked that I check if the window was properly closed since often times it appears closed but isn't. I found that helped but it was still below room temperature. I've asked some other guests and their rooms were uncontrollably hot. So I rather than gamble to get switched to a hot room, I stayed in my slightly cool one. Otherwise, the food at the breakfast buffet was typical in the region. Lots of cold cuts and some cereal. Given the price of food in Iceland the approximately CAD$20 breakfast was still competitively priced. There were only two English tv channels, both news. The wifi is about $9 per day or there are two computers in the lobby for use for free - I think there is a 30 minute limit on those. The other advantage here is that there is a large free parking lot for those who have rented a car. One thing I did not appreciate about the service is that the front desk always redirects you to someone else, never seeming to have the answer. I went to the front desk to ask about room service, and was redirected to the restaurant who redirected me back to the front desk. I've seen this happen to other guests for different questions.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Colchester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

Icelandair Northern Lights Trip

Really organised 4-day bread, by Icelandair via TravelZoo.

Great trips to NOrthern Lights and Blue Lagoon

Natura hotel was superb.

Icelandic people are friendly and helpful.

Food and drink in general very pricey in Iceland

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Trausti K, Sales Manager at Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Natura, responded to this review, April 22, 2013

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel, Reykjavik Natura.
I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay in Iceland and that you found our hotel to be superb. Hopefully you will have the chance to visit us again someday in the future.

Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

Stayed here 15 April, 2013 for 5 days. The room was very clean and bright,and was at the front of the hotel but very quiet; great blackout curtains and we appreciated being able to open the window. We found the staff very friendly and helpful and the cleaning staff did an excellent job. Internet in the room was very pricey but there were 2 iMacs in the lobby that were free for anyone to use. Meals were very expensive in the restaurant as they were everywhere.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel, Reykjavik Natura.
I am very pleased to see that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. I will make sure they receive your compliments. Perhaps 8 dollars per 24 hours for the internet is a bit pricey but instead we can offer our guests very good and safe Wi-Fi internet service. Furthermore, at the end of the month, we will have free internet in all open areas, so hopefully you can make use of that if you visit us again in the future. You are always welcome back to Reykjavik Natura.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

The Icelandair Hotel Reyjavik Natura, while not as close to main part of the city, it is quite nice and is well kept. It’s also worth noting that there are buses and taxi readily available at the front of the hotel when needed to get you around. We stayed here for 3 nights out of the 6 days we were in Iceland, taking full advantage of the buffet breakfast, which wasn’t included in the price of the room, but was very nice and you can certainly get your fill. We did not try the restaurant attached to the hotel (also where the breakfast buffet was located), as there were others place we had already picked out in the main part of town before arriving. However all the nights we stayed it was very busy, along with the bar it had. To be honest it looked like people had a great time, as one of the mornings, while eating breakfast at the buffet (which is right next to the bar), we saw a few couples still up from the night before joking and signing out loud.

The one part of the hotel that was extremely helpful was the guess services, which helped us book day trips, make diner reservation, and give great advice about where to go/what to see. The two girls working at the desk especially gave great restaurant recommendations for local cuisine.

Overall, if I visit Iceland again I would stay at the Hotel Natura, the staff was nice, the rooms were well kept, a little small, but very nice. However, for those wanting to be right in the thick of downtown Reyjavik you’ll need to look for other hotels, as the walk from here would be a little ways, 15 – 20 mins, not much, but in the cold you may just end up wanting to take a taxi or buses.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

My daughter and i stayed here for a long weekend. The staff are really miserable and most unhelpful. But the hotel is very clean.
We did the Northern Lights Jeep tour, which was great.
The whale watching boat trip is fantastic.
Be aware that Iceland is very very expensive.

Deborah - London

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel, Reykjavik Natura.

I am very sorry to see that you experienced our staff in such a negative way. Usually our staff is praised for their helpfulness and service. Nonetheless I would like to thank you for notifying us, I will make sure to forward your complaint to our general manager. I am glad to see that you went for the northern lights tour, hopefully you were able to see some northern lights. I hope that you will give us the chance to accommodate you again in the future and I am confident that you will experience our staff in much more positive way.