“My Review of Reykjavik” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Scotland
“My Review of Reykjavik”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

We arrived at the Icelandair Hotel Natura in Reykjavik. We had a standard twin room (was 2 single beds!), room was pretty small but equipped well. Staff were friendly and breakfast was fantastic all you could ask for and help yourself to a selection of fruit, meat, cereal, cooked breakfast, tea, coffee juice. We went B&B and recommend that you select this option as it was good value for money. There are a lot of reviews that the hotel is within 20-30 minutes walking from the centre of town. I would not walk it, purely because the area between the hotel and the city centre is pretty bare and definitely not for ladies to walk on the way back from a night out.

There is however a public bus which collects you outside the hotel and takes you to the bus station in Reykjavik and takes on 5-10 minutes. Every 30 minutes and reliable, only two things to point out is that the reception gives you a bus pass which they put 15,000 ISK on your room bill and so long as you return the pass this is then removed from your room bill the second thing to note is that the last bus back to the hotel is at 2345 each evening, therefore if you are staying out late it will be a taxi (which is expensive, just to warn you). The bus station is around a 10 minute walk past the main shopping area to get into the main centre of Reykjavik where all the shops and restaurants are. We recomment Vegabot and Buddha Cafe on the main stretch together with C is for Cookie for soup and a coffee (soup is 600 ISK and coffee around 450 ISK which I thought was excellent. For a two course meal in Reykjavik together with an alcoholic drink and a coffee we paid 30 per person which I thought was pretty good.

Not really a place for children but definitely for couples and friends (unless your children like going to cafes, shopping and very windy weather). Hotel staff were very friendly and informative when we had questions.

The bus station is very close to the hotel, which is a plus as this is where you are usually taken to first before starting a tour that you have arranged.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel as the airport at the back can be noisy first thing in the...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Trausti K, Sales Manager at Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Natura, responded to this review, March 25, 2013

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel, Reykjavik Natura.
I am glad to see that you experienced the service and the staff at our hotel in such a positive way. Yes you have to walk for about 10 minutes in a pretty open space but when you get closer to the central area the environment gets much nicer with gardens and Reykjavik pond surrounding you. It´s nice to see that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet. I am also glad to see that you could make use of our convenient free bus pass system. Hopefully you will be able to visit us again in the future and if you do, I advise you to come during the summer time so you can experience the nearby surroundings at its best.

Trausti Karlsson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (479)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

I liked this hotel very much. I stayed with two friends in a room with three single beds and the only problem we had was that there weren't quite enough electrical sockets, but we probably just had too many electronics! Everything else was great. It was clean an everything worked. The staff at reception and the tour desk were all nice and helpful. It was a 20 min walk into town but close to a Hertz car rental place which we utilised. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel, Reykjavik Natura.
I am very pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for recommending us to other readers, we highly appreciate it. You are always welcome back to Reykjavik Natura.

Vaughan, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

Typical Nordic style. Small rooms, efficient, clean, hospitable. Decent pool. Excellent breakfast!!! It's a drive to the city centre, We had a car, so this was fine. However, it would have been better to simply have a hotel in the centre so that driving and parking would not be a task. Very close (walk) to the hilltop museum. The only "beach" in Reykjavic is very close as well. If you are crazy like us, we went there for an outdoor dip in the water! Stayed July 2009.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel, Reykjavik Natura.
I can see from your comment that you visited us almost 4 years ago. I can tell you that you will be pleasantly surprised if you visit us again, since we have renovated our hotel so I really think you should visit us again someday so you can experience us in a totally different way. For example we have renovated the spa and I really think you will appreciate what we have done there. As well for the lobby area, the restaurant and last but not least, we renovated most of our rooms as well. So hopefully you will have a chance to come visit us in the coming months or years.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

Owned by Icelandair, the Hotel Natura looks to be a 1970s style office block building which is beside the airline’s headquarters and Reykjavik’s not very busy domestic airport (you will not be disturbed by airport noise). It is also the last stop on the Flybus service from Keflavik International Airport. Recently refurbished, the reception area is very bright and welcoming, with the hotel restaurant to the right and a tour booking office to the left. The hotel also offers two free internet terminals in the reception area, together with a dedicated Icelandair check-in terminal to the right of the tour office. Down in the basement, there is a spa, hot tub, sauna and swimming pool, although the pool is quite small and becomes crowded with four or more people.
Bedrooms could best be described as adequate – clean, warm and comfortable, they are small with a tiny bathroom. However, there is plenty of wardrobe space, although furnishings give the impression they were supplied by IKEA. Also, breakfast – when the hotel us full – can be a bit of a scrum. And the Satt restaurant is hit or miss – one night (before a Northern Lights tour) we had delicious Icelandic lamb soup, another night I had Icelandic lamb shank which could best be described as lamb paté and very much an acquired taste. However, there are many good restaurants in Reykjavik, which is a 25 minute walk or free bus ride from the Natura.
One slight disappointment was the staff attitude, which is efficient but not friendly. A simple “did you have a nice stay?” at check-out would have been welcome but, to be fair, neither the clerk nor I probably wanted to be there at 04.30!
A good 3* rather than a 4*, but I will certainly stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel, Reykjavik Natura.
First of all I am glad to see that you will certainly stay with us again, that really means a lot to us. However I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with our staff, that is something that we are not used to hear but thank you for notifying us. We will have a look at this matter. If you do visit us again I advise you to upgrade to one of our deluxe rooms. They are much bigger, both the room and the bathroom and they have all been renovated. There is also included an access to the spa and to our lounge and it includes free internet as well. You should also go for a bedtime story on Thursday nights or see the Amazing Iceland movie in our cinema room. Hopefully you will stay with us again soon and I am sure that you will find our staff to have better attitudes and the hotel in general to be a 4 star hotel, like advertised.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

On arrival at the hotel after travelling over 12 hours we inquired if we need to reserve a table for dinner. We were told this was not necessary. On entering the restaurant we join the queue to find there was at least an hour wait for a table. We were told we should have reserved a table, although we noted the people in front of us had, and their table had been given to someone else! An hour later we found a table ourselves as staff were busy chatting. Our order for beefburger and chips was finally taken which we then had to wait another 45 minutes for. During this time I witnessed customers give up waiting for their order to be taken and left. Staff did'nt even notice.
The following night we decided we would have a simple appertiser of bread and olives from the bar as we could'nt face going through the same process again. The order was taken at the bar . After 25 mins my daughter went to the counter to ask where the order was, after being brushed off with "I'm busy try at the bar" by a member of staff she eventually asked the restaurant manager. He came with the order minus the peanuts when asked about this he stopped turned around and told her he only had two hands he would get the nuts. The attitude to custombers is unbelievable. Not one apology !
The only good thing I can say about this hotel is the breakfast was good, As it's a buffet you don't have to wait for staff to serve you.

This is not a hotel I would stay in again!

Room Tip: They are refurbishing at the moment ask for the one of these.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Trausti K, Sales Manager at Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Natura, responded to this review, March 21, 2013

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel, Reykjavik Natura.
First of all I would like to offer my sincere apologies to you for all the lack of service and lack of customer care that you experienced at our restaurant. I have to say this attitude from our waiters surprises me since they are usually praised for their service and hospitality. But I would like to thank you for notifying us about your experience, I will definitely make sure that the hotel management team receives your complaint and take immediate actions to prevent this from happening again. I wish that I could make amends for what happened but I guess you already have left our hotel. If not, please be in touch with us.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

Average hotel. It is located right next to the Reykjavik domestic airport. You really do not notice the planes since they are not jets. The exterior of the hotel has that 70's look and the control tower is almost right on top of the hotel. Icelandair has their headquarters right next door. The hotel was part of a Icelandair tour package. Breakfast was not included and runs about $20. Rooms seem right out of a Ikea catalog. They have a nice shuttle bus to the center of city but the walk is onl 20 minutes. The Pearl/Perlan restaurant/Saga Muesem is a 5 minuted walk up the hill across the street. Hotel have a nice tourist office where you can book day trips for anything. Restaurant right in the hotel. Spa downstairs. If you come in on a Icelandair tour they let you checkin at 10AM. The problem was I got there at 6AM and they said it will be ready in two hours. As I am sitting there other people are getting their rooms. Make sure you go up there every 15 minutes to check if they have a room.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Trausti K, Sales Manager at Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Natura, responded to this review, March 19, 2013

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel, Reykjavik Natura.
I am sorry to hear that you experienced some problems at the check in, we apologize for that. However I am glad to see that you went for a walk up to the Pearl, it really is a nice walk and the Pearl is an excellent place if you are looking for some great views over the city. If you want to visit us again I recommend you to do so during the summer time so you can experience all the out-door activities in the nearby surroundings. I also advise you to try out our indoor activities so you can experience some true Icelandic culture. For example the Bedtime Stories in our theater which are ideal to discover and learn about Icelandic literature while enjoying some hot chocolate and newly baked cookies, free of charge. I really think you should give us another chance so you can see and experience that our hotel is above average.

Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

This hotel is about a 3 or 3.5...it is a newer hotel but looks much better on the website than in person. Rooms are extremely small and the beds are pushed together in a double room; it's odd the way they do it. The bathroom is tiny and no bathtubs available unless you upgrade to a deluxe room for a lot more money. The beds are real comfortable and we slept like babies even thoug hotel is a bit dry...we opened our window and let in fresh air. Try to get a room facing the domestic airport next door if you like to watch planes take off and land. The food is expensive but excellent in the dining room - try the breakfact buffet which has such an amzing assortment and the lunch buffet of soup & salad (everything was so fresh and delicious). The hotel staff are just ok. The front desk staff are dishevelled at best; we got in at about 7 am and our rooms were not ready and I really had no confidence that they would be ready any time soon. I overheard a lot of people complaining; I eventually went back to the desk about an hour and a half later and realized they were giving rooms out to people who just showed up so I had be assertive - which did work! The servers in the restaurant are mostly 'stiff' but if you attempt to be friendly with them...they do warm up to you.

There is only one small elevator and it takes forever.....there are stairs that I would highly recommend using if you need to get up to your room quickly.

There are 2 free wifi stations in the lobby and although they are busy all the time, people are pretty good at sticking to about 15 minutes each...otherwise, you need to remind them that there are people waiting.

You can get a free city bus pass (for up to 4 people) from the front desk...but make sure you don't lose it as you will have to pay for an 'annual bus pass' and it's expensive. Buses run every 2 minutes and drivers are very friendly. Otherwise, it is a nice 20 minute walk into town - very easy to do and nice scenry on the way.

The tour people on site are nice but hopeless. You are pretty much left to yourself to look at the brochures available and the videos - they have no real knowledge of tours, departure times, driving times, costs of tours or really anything...and they don't make suggestions. There are plenty of brochures in the fron area - I suggesst you have a real good look at them before you book. Prices are reasonable and the tours are amazing - clean buses; informative guides; amazing vistas - I highly recommend the tours.

You can buy a North American adaptor at the front desk for about $10 US if you don't have one and it works great. I got one from a maid cart and just used it the entire time I was there so keep your eyes open.

The swimming pool area is gorgeous...pool, hot tub..steam room (hot and dry sauna) - it is all lit up with soft blue lights and the water is extremely relaxing. But it closes every night at 8:30 - which everyone complained about because most excursions dont end until about that time. And we were always exhausted when we got back to our hotel and wanted to hit the pool and hot tub, but it was closed!

The visitors at this hotel were from all over and generally were all very friendly..I imagine that Iceland attracts mostly land-loving people because we did not meet a single rude person during our visit.

Room Tip: Our room faced the domestic airpor and beautiful mountains in the background - was on the 4th floor...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel, Reykjavik Natura.
I am glad to see that you liked our breakfast buffet. However I am sorry to hear that you experienced our staff to be disheveled and stiff, that´s something that we are not used to hear. But thank you for notifying us, obviously something went wrong that day that will be dealt with since we truly want to prevent such a lack of service and hospitality. Regarding the elevators I have to correct you since we do have two elevators by the stairs and one at the other side of the lobby. I am sorry to hear that you did not notice the other two elevators. I am glad to see that you recommend the walk into the central area to other readers, we really appreciate it and I agree with you, it truly is a nice walk and a great way to get to know Reykjavik. Again I am sorry to see that you experienced lack of service quality at the Tour desk, I will definitely forward your complain to the Tour desk management. Hopefully you will give us another chance and if you do, I recommend you to upgrade to a deluxe room which is much bigger, has a bathtub, free access to our lounge, free Wi-Fi and last but not least; has a free access to the Sóley Natura Spa.