“The Natura”

Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Natura
Ranked #36 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I'll list the pros and cons of the hotel, giving the information that I was looking for before I left...

Pros:
-Great (free) pool/sauna - we spent a good couple of hours in there every night
-Really good breakfast with particularly tasty pancakes
-Free parking
-Clean rooms
-Fridge in the room
-Reception were helpful and polite

Cons:
-No free wifi (though the Reykjavic Excursion buses all have it and so does the rest of the city)
-Really hot rooms that really stifled us and we couldn't open our window
-It took ages to get information from the lady in the excursion area - really slow
-The hotel is a good 30 minutes from the main shops in Reykjavic and we were walking pretty fast
-Airport right outside the room - no planes at night but they start up pretty early in the morning
-Tiny rooms and uncomfortabe beds with horrible pillows

Overall I generally enjoyed my stay, but mostly due to the spa: if it didn't have this then I would find a different hotel next time. It was a shame that the Northern Lights trips were cancelled for four nights in a row (every night we were there) as we booked a trip with a tour included and you don't get anything back if they don't run. If you like a pool then go here, but if you aren't bothered then I'm sure there are better hotels nearer the city.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank DawnEast
Trausti K, Sales Manager at Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Natura, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel, Reykjavik Natura.

I would like to thank you for your useful comment. It´s probably nice for other readers to have the pros and cons listed like that. Regarding the cons, I have to say that most of them are not something that our guests usually experience so I have to apologize that you had to experience those things. First of all we do charge for the wireless internet but we do that so we can purchase the most excellent internet service for our guests. For those who don´t want to pay for the internet, we advise them to use the computers down at the lobby, free of charge. Second of all, there must have been some breakdown regarding the room temperature since other guests have not been experiencing this lately. So I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. I also apologize for the lack of service you experienced at the Tour desk. I have already forwarded your complaint to the Tour desk manager. Regarding the distance to the central area, I recommend you, if you stay with us again, to make use of our free bus pass service which gives our guests the opportunity to use the local bus system that runs twice per hour into the central area. I can understand that you had to sleep with the windows open due to the temperature breakdown but usually our guests can just close their windows to exclude any sound coming from the airport. I am sorry to hear that you experienced the beds and pillows to be uncomfortable but we have not had this complaint before.
That being said, I am glad to read all of the pros that you listed up and I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall. Hopefully you will give us another chance and I am convinced that you will not be experiencing all of those cons that you listed above.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Hotel was close to Airport £5 taxi journey only need to be at airport 30mins before flying to Akureyri. Only a 20min wlak to center which is worth doing or get a free bus pass from Reception. Pool is great although a bit small nice hot pool and sauna. Happy Hour in Hotel 4-6. Also Check out the Happy Hours in the town center which can save you a fortune.
Stayed two separate days and both rooms were clean and had the basic ammenities.

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel, Reykjavik Natura.
I would like to thank you for the positive feedback. I agree that happy hour at Satt bar and few other bars in Reykjavik is definitely worth the while. If you will return to us, I recommend you to take the bus into town and try out the amazing Slip bar at the Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Marina. You will not be disappointed, especially during the happy hour.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

We stayed here for a week and had a wonderful holiday. The staff are really friendly, they helped us select the trips that best suited what we wanted to get out of our stay in Iceland, it was very clean and the spa was just as shown on the website. We enjoyed the lunch and evening food when we did eat there but only had the breakfast once as we didn't really enjoy it. Yes it is a bit out of town but they give you a free bus pass and because we were away from the main town, we saw the Northern Lights twice whilst we were here right outside the hotel which was a fantastic bonus!

Room Tip: We had a standard room which although small was clean and the bed was very comfortable. We looked o...

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel, Reykjavik Natura.
I am so pleased with your comment and I would like to thank you for recommending us to other readers, it really means a lot to us. I will definitely make sure that our staff receives your compliments. I am also glad that you enjoyed our Satt restaurant. I am happy to hear that you got to see the northern lights from our hotel, they truly are amazing. You are always welcome back to Reykjavik Natura.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

This is a lovely hotel located about 15-20 minutes walking from the heart of Reykjavik. All of the rooms are themed in a classy and modern manner. The bed duvets are soft and comfortable and there is decent space considering most European hotels run on the smaller size. We stayed in a nature themed room with lovely photographs of Icelandic moss for two days and then on our return trip home got upgraded to a poet room that was slightly larger and more elegant and traditional in design. Both rooms had showers not bath tubs but the reality is, who is going to take Ba'ath when you have naturally heated geothermal pools to go in at the hotel or a taxi ride away from the hotel. Perhaps the best part is the amazing Icelandic water, you can drink it from the tap and it is by far the cleanest purest water I have ever drank. My hair was amazing after bathing in this pure water for a few days. It is nice to travel and not have to worry about the water. Plus, the breakfast was included and it included a wonderful buffet with meats, cheeses, breads, fruits, seafood, eggs, pastries, juices, coffees, and teas. We loaded up each morning, grabbed fruit, and headed into town and did not have to eat for hours afterwards. Unlike other reviewers, this place was reasonably priced albeit the restaurant was pricier and had slow service but, you are traveling in Europe so be prepared to splurge a little based on the exchange rate. I recommend booking packages thru Icelandair directly to get great rates and packages.

Room Tip: Bring an empty water bottle to fill each day before sightseeing so you do not spend money buying the...
2  Thank Teeplepeople

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel, Reykjavik Natura.
I am very glad to see that you enjoyed your nature themed room. I agree with you regarding the shower, that it is unnecessary to have a bathtub in your room when you have a spa on the ground floor. I am so happy to hear you talk about the Icelandic water and the fact that it is so clean and fresh that you can drink it straight out of the tap. Thank you for praising the breakfast buffet and hopefully we will have the chance to accommodate you again in the future.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

A great hotel, lovely rooms, great restaurant, although no vegetarian options. Great spa, swimming pool. Friendly, helpful staff. A little far from the city, but a bus every half an hour which is free with a pass from the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Trausti K, Sales Manager at Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Natura, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel, Reykjavik Natura.
It was a pleasure to read your short but valuable comment. Thank you for taking the time to praise our hotel and what is has to offer. Our chefs are working on a new menu so I will encourage them to include a vegetarian option in it. I will also make sure our staff receives your compliments. I am glad to see that you made use of our free bus pass service, it´s a great way to get between places. Hopefully you will stay with us again.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

What a great hotel. Never having been in Iceland before, we decided to book our stay here at this Hotel. What a great choice. The staff were very friendly and helped us with everything. The service and rooms were great. We had the best view ever!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank HONdominik

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel, Reykjavik Natura.
I am so pleased to have read your comment. Thank you for your positive feedback and I am very glad to see that you liked your stay at our lovely hotel. I will make sure our staff receives your compliments, I am sure it will please them. You are definitely welcome back to Reykjavik Natura.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

The room was ok, spacious is it's main attribute. There's no view, the restaurant is of poor quality and vastly over-priced for what you get, it claims to be fine dining but fails to live up to expectation. Would be fine for the business market but not really for city breaks. Breakfast was included in my price but beware bacuase it's normally a surcharge of approx £12 and it's not worth that, poor quality food.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel, Reykjavik Natura.
I am sorry to see that we did not meet your expectations. Our guests usually praise the food in our restaurant and especially at the breakfast buffet. However we are all different and I am sorry that you did not find it worth your money. It seems to me that you had a room facing a nearby building next to the hotel but only about 3% of our rooms face this building. The rest of our rooms have an excellent view over the nearby nature surroundings, the city or the sea. So I am really sorry that you were put in one of those rooms but we only use them when the other ones are fully booked. If you stay with us again, I recommend you to upgrade to our deluxe rooms where you will have a free access to Sóley Natura Spa and the lounge. It also has wi-fi included as well. In a room like that, you will be guaranteed with a nice view.