“Excellent stay.”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Ballston Lake, New York
“Excellent stay.”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Arrived in Iceland a day early due to weather conditions, and needed last minute accommodations. It was a little pricey (due to the last minute nature), but after two dicey days in high seas on the Smyril Line ferry and an unplanned flight from the Faroe Islands... it was well worth it! The hotel, lobby, and room were kept in immaculately spotless cleanliness. The room is a generic hotel room, but decorated in modern European style. It is a bit out of the way from central Downtown. If you love walking, then it is no problem... about 15minutes (1 mile/2.5 km). I have stayed at every Icelandair Hotel, and will definitely stay here again, when my travels bring me back.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Brian G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
UK
Reviewed September 30, 2012

This hotel is right next to Reykjavik Airport's GA terminal/FBO - so if you are lucky enough to be flying yourself in or out then this is the place to stay. The hotel is clean and modern with friendly staff and a great little bar/restaurant if you don't want to go into town. I'm told there's a Spa available at the hotel, but I didn't get chance to sample it - next time perhaps.

Room Tip: None of the rooms have Air Conditioning, although in Iceland this is rarely a problem!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank ians2008
Ringwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2012

We've just returned from a weeks stay at Icelandair Hotel Natura and a fabulous holiday in Iceland. The hotel has a fresh modern look inside (it does look quite different from the outside but don't let that put you off!) and although it is a bit out of the city - about a 20 min walk, it has everything you need.

We had the same experience as one of the other reviews on here, we booked the 'art room' through expedia and when we arrived were put into a standard room. When we questioned this the staff were helpful and although there was no art room left they gave us everything we should have got (free wifi and access to a private lounge) along with a gift from the spa and complimentary breakfast so couldn't really complain. The room itself was very clean with a fridge and tea making facilities, except no milk so we ended up buying some from the restaurant. The bathroom was an adequate size but with only a shower in our room though and a bath would have been nice. We didn't hear any noise at all from the airport next door, and there is plenty of parking if you have a hire car.

The spa is definately the best thing about this hotel with a heated pool, hot tub, steam room and sauna which was needed after a day out in the cold exploring Iceland. We also had a 30 min massage which was great and the staff really friendly. The spa is open until 6pm on weekends but until 9pm during the week.

We ate in the restaurant a few times and the food was excellent and although a bit pricey it's no more than the other alternatives in the city as food is fairly expensive in Iceland. The restaurant and bar have a relaxed atmosphere, great service and stay open fairly late if you want to eat before heading off to see the northern lights. We only had breakfast on one day as it seemed a bit pricey and it was a good breakfast with plenty to choose from (although you might find they cook eggs quite differently in Iceland - they look a bit like set custard but taste nice!), but we found local supermarkets and even petrol stations have a good offering much cheaper from pastries and fruit to subway bacon rolls and you can also make use of the fridge in the room. If you don't pre-book breakfast you can pay for it when you're there so might be worth checking the alternatives when you get there.

Overall a pleasant stay in a nice hotel which is good value for money. One recommendation I'd make is if you plan to travel around Iceland I'd suggest a hire car as we found this a great way to explore and see all the other sights the tours seem to drive past and the roads are easy to drive - often we only passed a couple of cars in a day!

Many of the sights are a fair drive out of Reykjavik (to get to Skaftefell national park and the Iceberg lagoon is a good 4 hour drive each way) and this hotel is on the other side (west) of the city so every morning we had to drive through the city to get out into the countryside. It's a fairly easy drive as you just join the main ring road from the hotel but it probably adds an extra 15-20 mins to your journey so if we returned we would probably look for a hotel on the east side of the city so it's quicker access to the 'route 1' road which you use to travel to the other places and avoid having to drive through the city every day. This will depend what kind of holiday you are having but if you plan to be travelling around a lot outside of the city you might want to consider this.

Room Tip: Free wifi in the art/poet rooms but you have to pay for it in standard rooms - might be worth checki...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Natalielaura21
Doncaster
Reviewed September 29, 2012

This hotel has been thoroughly revamped and has a impressive entrance and ambience, reflecting the Icelandic culture. This was our third stay and we are looking forward to our fourth, very good value for money, top class hotel!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ShellDoncaster
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I stayed in this hotel at the beginning and end of a tour around Iceland. On arrival the first time the staff were cold and not very approachable. I booked through Expedia and upgraded to an Artist room however they put me in a standard room and it seemed to be an inconvenience to the female receptionist to move me.
The night-time receptionists (male) were all very friendly and helpful, as were the bar staff.
The rooms were uncluttered and clean. The spa downstairs was lovely - all subdued lighting and a great place to chill out at the end of the day.
The hotel is a walk from the city centre but it is only about 20mins. And the hotel is right next to the Pearl and surrounding parkland.
Even though it is next to the domestic airport, and I had a room overlooking the runway, I was not disturbed by any aircraft sound.
I didn't take breakfast in the hotel but did eat dinner at the restaurant. It was good food and in line with other restaurant prices - eating out is relatively expensive in Iceland.
I also went to the free Icelandic Saga story telling evening which was superb. Free cocoa & cookies and a beautiful reader. A great way to learn more about the sagas and Icelandic literature.
In my room I had a tea/coffee tray but only powdered creamer so take your own milk!

Room Tip: If you are worried about aircraft noise take ear plugs, but I heard nothing from the adjacent runway...
Northridge, CA
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Nice hotel. It looks nicer from the inside than from the outside. Room was large by European standards. I was in the wing where the rooms were recently modeled and wasn't facing the airport. Wood floors, newer furniture, and fairly nice bath. It's not the Ritz, if you're looking for something like that, but very comfortable. Some mention the hot water has a sulfur smell in Iceland. I noticed no such thing in the bathroom in this hotel. It's a bit of a walk to get to downtown Reykjavik, but it is walkable, weather permitting. They do have a shuttle, but it doesn't run often. But if you're going to travel to Iceland, see places outside of town. Take some tours. That's what Iceland is about. The city of Reykjavik you can cover in two days.
In summary, I don't think you can go wrong in this modern hotel. If my travels take me to Iceland again, this hotel will be one of my first choices. Just be aware the food is expensive in the hotel's restaurant, but food everywhere is expensive in Iceland. Be prepared for that. There is a fridge in your room, for storing snacks bought elsewhere. That will help with the high prices.

Room Tip: My room was facing the front in the newly remodeled wing which I believe is the south side. This is...
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 14, 2012

So I spent all of my nights in HI hostels (very good here), but wanted to splurge for my last night in Iceland. I booked the Iceland Air Hotel Natura just days before online and I couldn't be happier. The standard single room wasn't cheap, but not too over-the-top pricey either. I feel I got my moneys worth and then some. This place is SWANK! With a hot spa and pool in the basement (plus sauna and steam room) available to all, I never even turned on the shower in the room! Water is a non issue in IS and I took full advantage! Relaxing! The room appointments were terrific and the staff wonderful. Yes, the wine I got was pricey, but welcome to IS. If I have any criticism, it's no free WiFi...a trite concern, but even the FlyBus has free WiFi on the bus. The food in the hotel is top notch and if cleanliness is of concern, allay your fears. I think you could eat off the floors in the changing room to the pools! Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Take your pick. I paid for the low end and was super pleased with the wonderful appointments! I wi...
3 Thank madaneson