“Excellent value and beautiful ambiance.”

Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Natura
Ranked #33 of 52 Hotels in Reykjavik
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New York
“Excellent value and beautiful ambiance.”
Reviewed April 1, 2012

If you admire 1950s/1960s Scandinavian design, then you will fell right at home by staying in Hotel Natura. The hotel is retro in a very positive. Timeless design is displayed though out the lobby and room. Splashes of pinewood floors and decor; splashes of lime green and orange; plus stone walls and fireplaces makes this hotel very inviting.

The breakfast buffet is an excellent value. The bread at the buffet is super.I especially liked the round pumpernickel-like bread with the hard outer crust and soft inside. Was this particular bread baked underground with steam the way the Vikings did it? The fresh soft inside of this particular bread made me wonder if this bread was cooked with steam.

The lengthy distance from downtown was not much of an issue for me. I like to do a lot of walking anyway. To compensate for the location, the hotel does offer a free shuttle to downtown. If the scheduling of the shuttle does not fit in with the guest's time schedule, the hotel does offer to give tickets to use the Reykjavik municipal bus. The city's bus stop is conveniently located in front of the hotel.

The spa in the basement is a gem. It is a very peaceful place to relax in the pool down there after a long active day. I wish the spa stay open a little bit later and open a little bit earlier on the weekend.

Looking forward to another getaway to Iceland.

1 Thank DEPNewYork

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (489)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Salem, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 29, 2012

This was a perfectly good hotel for what we paid as part of an Icelandair package. The standard twin room was clean. The view was of the airfield, but we didn't have any problem with plane noise. The room was very hot, which I guess is an expected phenomenon in Iceland from what I've read. You could open the large window for temp control. The one thing that was difficult about the room was that there were no drawers at all... no bureau or anything. Just an armoire with hangers and skinny shelves. We were staying 8 days, so I was hoping not to live out of my suitcase... but that's what I had to do. My friend used the spa which she loved.

We did, however, have a problem with intense noise from below us one night when they were having some annual function. I'm normally not disturbed by noise to sleep, but the concert and then DJ music from the ballroom below was literally vibrating the room. When I called down (thinking it was music from an adjacent room or something,) they apologized but said they couldn't do anything. It went from 11pm-2am. It was pretty unacceptable in my opinion.

The reception staff weren't exceptionally helpful, but not unfriendly either. The shuttle into the city was sparse and, on one occasion, non-existent at the pickup spot in the city, so I had to take a cab back to the hotel. We ate at the restaurant a couple of times... it was quite good.

Again, it was perfectly adequate for what we needed... a fair-priced home base hotel for all the day trips we took and having a restaurant on-site was helpful for the days when we didn't want to think about finding somewhere for dinner. They also have the booking service for tours right there... we didn't use it, but would in the future. I'd definitely stay there again (but I'd be asking about any parties booked in the ballroom and asking for a room assignment accordingly!!!)

Room Tip: Ask about any parties booked in the ballroom below Floor 2... and ask for a room away from it if the...
2 Thank Vega01970
Shrewsbury N
Reviewed March 29, 2012

We booked a Northern Lights package through Iceland Air and this was the hotel we were given. Yes, it is next to a local airstrip, and there were small planes on occasion with virtually no noise. The only way I ever knew a plane had taken off was because I saw it low in the sky and climbing. The outside of the hotel is dated (but not shabby/dated); the inside is lovely. The pool and spa were wonderful, spotless and a welcome area after a long day. The front desk was helpful and pleasant. The rooms were kept clean and I noticed no problem with the temperature being too hot. The breakfast buffet had a lot of options and we ate dinner at the hotel once. It was windy and snowing that night and almost everyone in the hotel decided to eat there (I am guessing) so we had to wait a while for a table. My advice would be to make reservations and cancel if you decide to go to town for the evening. We took the shuttle one day and the public bus (very close) another time. I personally found the walk (and weather) not conducive to a stroll to town. The cab ride home was expensive ($10.) for what was actually about a 4 minute ride. We joked that it was like Las Vegas where you can see a place, but not get there without a long walk. We went to the flea market (meh) and the Natural History Museum (really lovely). Our trip outside the city to the geysers, waterfalls, spa and Northern Lights was wonderful. My husband got a (used)shearling jacket in perfect condition at the Red Cross second hand store in the city for $49. (Be sure and bring a jacket WARMER than you think you'll need because it is very windy!) We had some fabulous hot chocolate and shopped, shopped, shopped. All in all, this was a good hotel and I would stay here again. However, if you are looking for more night life, something in town might be better. For us, on a tour, it was perfect.

queens
Reviewed March 29, 2012

The hotel was very modern & artistically decorated. Great spa & pool! Rooms were very comfortable & clean.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank vavalou
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 29, 2012

We stayed here from March 18-25. The hotel was part of a package deal with Icelandair (Golden Circle and Magical Nights). Very modern and nice looking hotel. Upgrades to the deluxe rooms were about $50 USD a night. Standard room comes w twin size beds. We put them together but since they are made of extremely light material, they tend to push apart w the slightest movements. They did offer to move us to a double bed if available.

The bathrooms are clean and they provide you w Soley soap/shampoo (Icelandic organic beauty products!). The TV only has about 8 or so channels so don't bother unless you want to order movies. Our room came w tea & coffee and a pot for us to boil water which was quite nice. The room also has a small fridge for you to store all your Bonus Supermarket bought skyr. :)

Located inside this hotel is the Satt restaurant. Pricey but then again so is the rest of Iceland. We got a salami & Brie croissant and it cost us 850 ISK. Hot chocolate is quite excellent. We ordered a hamburger and salmon dish our first night and the bill came out to about $50+ USD. The burger and salmon were pretty good.

There is tour booking inside the gift shop but they tend to take random breaks so it's a bit inconvenient when you want to book tours at the last minute (due to the unpredictable weather).

The hotel is a good 20-30 minute walk (depending how rainy/windy it gets). There is a gas station w Subway, Serrano (Icelandic version of Chipotle?), and Nesti (hot dogs & snacks) about a 10 minute walk for cheaper food options. The hotel does offer a free shuttle bus to the city but only 2 time slots in the morning and 3 in the evening. If you miss it, you can catch the city bus (which arrives every 30 minutes & the hotel will give you tickets). Taxi is only about 4-5 minute ride from the City Center but will cost you a good $15-20. We did end up walking the majority of the times since the shuttle & buses were too inconvenient for us.

One thing I will have to rant about is that the hotel staff does not seem to know much about the museums in town. I had asked about the Museum of NATURAL History and the gift shop lady pointed us in the direction of a library? The front desk pointed us to the location where the museum USED to be. Let me tell you, I was highly disappointed when we trekked out there and found a sign pronouncing it CLOSED (forever).

One HUGE plus about this hotel is that it has a spa. Free for hotel guests. They offer your typical spa services and they have a pool, hot tub, dry sauna, & steam room. Great after those long hikes and adventure tours. They also have a gym and yoga classes ($25 per session).

We did enjoy our stay here and would consider coming back when we come back to Iceland. If you are on a budget, I would recommend staying in a guest house close to City Center.

Room Tip: Request a room that faces away from the airport if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank irlily
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I booked a package with Icelandair which included four nights at this hotel and I added two more nights to the package. The package rate was very good, maybe because it was off sason. The outside of the hotel is very plain (like most buildings in Iceland, actually), but I really like the interior. It has personality and is very Scandinavian with blond wood and modern furnishings and some artsy touches. Checking in was relatively easy and a tour desk is nearby where you can book all your tours including your ride back to the airport. I found most of the staff to be helpful and friendly (there was just one lady at the tour desk who didn't seem very attentive). There are two computers in the lobby for your use and I never had to wait too long to use them. For breakfast, you can choose the expensive buffet or just buy a delicious latte (which i did every morning) and select from oatmeal, croissants, skyr (a kind of Icelandic "yogurt"), and some other breakfast items from the more casual, take-out counter. The bar area is a nice place to relax with plenty of chairs available. I had the most delicious gin & tonic - meant to ask what tonic they used - with the clearest ice cubes I've ever seen. I had two dinners at the hotel restaurant, which were very good but a little expensive. The guestroom was rather small with two very narrow twin beds, but it was adequate. My room faced the parking lot and The Pearl restaurant on the hill. I wasn't bothered at all by any airplane noise. I used the pool and spa just once on my trip and it was quite beautiful and I wished I had used it at least one more time. I walked to and from the hotel and downtown Reykjavik a few times, caught the free hotel shuttle a few times, and the walk isn't too bad (I like to get the exercise), but it would be better if the shuttle ran a few more times than it does (there are some big gaps). Having the hotel not in downtown may be a drawback, as it was one reason I had dinner at the hotel, not wanting to walk back to downtown. But it's a good location to tour from. I did a couple of organized tours and the buses picked me up at the hotel. All in all, I really liked the hotel. If I were to return, I would maybe stay there or at a hotel in downtown, but I didn't find Reykjavik itself all that exciting - I enjoyed the excursions more. Two, maybe three days at the most, is enough time to explore Reykjavik.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank SFCupCake
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Traveled to Iceland in January 2012 and stayed for 4 nights. The hotel itself is very nice, with good sized rooms. The reception staff are very helpful as we did have a problem when we first arrived, having booked a double room, we were directed to a twin room, went to reception to ask to be moved and we were told that they had no booking under our name for a double room, despite us providing the paperwork to prove we had, we were then given a double room and told that there was a 90% that the man who had originally booked the room would not turn up. A day into our stay a member of the reception team came to tell us our booking had expired and we needed to check out of the room. When we came to check out, we were told that we had not paid and needed to settle our bill, Despite all of these hiccups, the hotel is very good and its staff are very helpful and quick to solve any problems. The spa is a must do, the food here is also excellent, all locally sourced and freshly cooked the dip with the bread is amazing!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple