“Arrival policy not flexible”

CenterHotel Skjaldbreid
Ranked #40 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed March 13, 2014

We arrived from North America, landing at 6:45am. We arrived at the hotel and because we would be leaving before breakfast was being served, I asked if we could have it on arrival day. The fellow gave us a really bad time and then relented, after all, we would only be eating once so what did it matter which day? We were then told we could not check in until 2pm. We decided to walk up to a swimming pool (close by, near the church). Only six Euros for the large outdoor hot tubs, fantastic sauna and big lap pool. Dinner at the restaurant in the hotel building. Great lamb, but pricey.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 13, 2014

We moved form a hostel to this hotel and they were kind and friendly when we arrived early and offered us the breakfast even though we couldn't sign in. Rooms were nice. A little loud being on the main street but we were wlaking distance to everything and great recommedations on restaurants.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AbbySabean
Reviewed March 11, 2014

If you're looking for a budget hotel, you cant go wrong with this place. Smack bang in the centre of town with loads of shops, bars and eateries on your doorstep.
Very peaceful at night. Comfortable bed, good breakfast and charming staff

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Peeboin
Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

Having travelled 10,000km from Johannesburg to Iceland we were exhausted when we finally arrived but were greeted by the wonderful warm staff at reception and had a quick and easy check in. The staff throughout our trip were organized, polite and a huge credit to Iceland. The rooms are small, and the bathroom is tiny but everything is spotlessly clean. Breakfast is continental, so no hot bacon and eggs, but the breakfast was more than adequate, the fruit was fresh and the Danishes were delicious!

All in all I highly recommended this hotel. You could not ask for a better location in town! An absolute gem :)

Stayed: March 2014
3  Thank PeanutJHB1981
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Location was great - right on one of the main streets in town. The church was close. Artic Adventures happened to be right across the street and we booked all of our excursions with them. Typical european hotel for those on a budget. Bed was comfy. Bathroom left room for improvement. I had a view of a bookstore and I loved people watching out the windows. The breakfast was great!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 6, 2014

When we first arrived to the hotel, I thought "oh boy" not going to like this and I didn't at first. We checked into our tiny room and I immediately said, this isn't for us. I went to the front desk and asked where the 4 or 5 star hotels were. The girl at the front desk was so accomodating and so very nice, she gave me a list. I asked her if there were any other rooms available that were bigger but none were available that day. We decided to go take a nap because we were jet lagged. I guess that was all I needed because I was falling in love with that hotel and was managing in our small room. To my surprise, the next day we were able to move into a larger corner room. I loved it! You can not beat the location of the Skjaldbreid. It is located on the main street of town and full of excitement. I adored the breakfast lounge but wished it would have been open in the evening. It is a great meeting place. Loved the staff and they deserve a medal dealing with me. Lots of places to eat within walking distance. I can't stop thinking about the great time we had in Iceland.

Room Tip: book a corner room
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank kakalina10
Reviewed March 2, 2014

We stayed here in Feb for 3 nights with another couple. You cannot beat the location! We walked to all the sites downtown - church, Viking museum, flea market, Solfar sun voyager, harbor for the cruise tour. The streets are very safe, even late at night - when the harbor cruise returned. The rooms and bathrooms are small but very comfortable. They do have hairdryers in every room. Note if you are a large person, the showers may be a tight fit!

Room Tip: Room 311 was next to the kitchen, so if you are a light sleeper or like to sleep late, the early mor...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends