Review Highlights

Redondo Beach, California
Great times - Winter Wonders and Delicious Detours

kashiao
London, United Kingdom

All reviews self drive tour complete tour day tour northern lights tour blue lagoon ring road the bus local tour golden circle whale watching tour company lava fields black sand beaches naked eye midnight sun first night excellent tour
Reviewed 1 week ago

We did the Glacial Exploration and Auroras but also added 2 extra nights as we were going to be in Iceland for 10 days. The initial representative I communicated with was a little slow at responding and at one point I didn't hear back for multiple days. At this point I used the chat option to reach out to Iceland Travel and the person who I spoke with let me know they'd look into my email correspondence and email me straight away as the person I had been communicating with had a last minute leave.

Ms. Sigurlaug was great to correspond with, always answering any questions and responding in a timely manner.

My boyfriend and I thought about just booking everything ourselves based on the Glacial Exploration and Auroras tour, but if we booked it ourselves it only would've been a couple hundred dollars less, so we decided to book through Iceland Travel to make it easier for ourselves, knowing that everything would be booked. It also was a plus that we would get a tablet with all the information needed for travels as well! We found the tablet really useful, as it had all the major stops but extra things that people might be interested in if you wanted to see something else or had extra time.

I'm usually the type to book everything myself, but I'm glad that for our trip to Iceland we booked through Iceland Travel.

Can't recommend them enough!

Marianna Osk S, Service Marketing Expert at Iceland Travel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 days ago

Hi there,

Thank you for your review, we appreciate it!

It´s wonderful to hear how much you liked the tour and our Travel Companion app and tablet. I love that you mention how much you liked those little extras in the app.

Also great to hear how much you liked communicating with Sigurlaug, we strive to make the best experience for our customers before, during and after their travels.

We look forward to hear from you next time you plan a tour to Iceland!

Reviewed 1 week ago

We had a fantastic time during our 7 day self-drive trip around Iceland. It was very well organized and the hotels we were staying at were all very decent, some of them even surprisingly nice (we paid for the basic economy package). Rental car pick-up was easy, we were even upgraded to a slightly nicer car for free and there wasn't an issue returning it to the city-centre branch rather than the airport, which suited our plans better. However, looking up Hertz in Reykjavik a couple of days before returning the car made me break out a sweat as those guys have a TERRIBLE reputation online, with many people extremely dissatisfied and forced to pay heavy fines for some tiny nicks in the paintwork. Even though in theory we had nothing to be worried about as there was no immediately visible damage to our car, it made us pretty anxious and ruined the mood for a while. Luckily we had no problems returning the rental. I urge Iceland Travel to consider a different provider, perhaps one that doesn't have a reputation of a scammer.

Anyway, the 'travel companion' tablet was very useful in planning our route and saved us hours of research, although I was somewhat baffled by the suggested daily 'routes' - the number of different places that each of them contained would be impossible to fit into a time frame of a day with all the driving in between. We ended up picking places that sounded best and planning our own routes.

Although the travel companion app is busting with great information on sights, it definitely needs refinement, especially in terms of how it could communicate with SatNav. Ideally you'd want these two systems to work together in order to avoid wasting time on re-finding a place you want to go to on SatNav - there should be AT LEAST coordinates given in the tablet app that can be entered right into SatNav. Other useful features would be more information on local parking, which turned out to be tricky in some cases, and indicative time that one should allow for while visiting particular places.

Overall, I don't wish to be overly critical, because we had a great time and investing in this package saved me an enormous amount of time and stress. I would definitely use their services again if I was to revisit Iceland.

Marianna Osk S, Service Marketing Expert at Iceland Travel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Hi there,

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate it.

Great to hear how satisfied you were with our service, we strive to create the best possible experience for our guests. It's also good to know how satisfied you were with your accommodation and the Iceland Travel Companion app.

It's also good to know that you received good service when picking up and returning your rental car, and that you even got an upgrade.

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback and improvement ideas, we will use it to improve our tours and services further.

Marianna

Reviewed 1 week ago

Really easy and well organised blue lagoon transfer.
the bus drivers were really helpful and they dropped me off at my hotel (at blue lagoon) after we dropped everyone else off at the entrance.
Fabulous service!

Hi there,

Thank you for the review, we appreciate it.

It's great to hear about your experience with the bus drivers, we strive to create the best possible customer experience.

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

My husband and I took the Glacial Adventures self-drive tour for our first trip to Iceland. It was appealing to have the accommodations planned and breakfast provided, since finding accommodations on my own seemed to be pricey. The worst part of the trip was picking up our rental vehicle. We waited for 3 hours for our car to be ready. The Hertz car rental was unorganized to say the least. Beyond this aspect, we liked the Iceland Travel App and the accommodations that were booked for us. My complaints with the itinerary were 1) there was one day that had us driving 6+ hours to reach our accommodations in Höfn, when the last point of interest was 3 hours back. It didn’t make much sense to us, and that day was tiring. 2) there were times when the recommended stops were closed for the winter, which was odd since this was a winter tour and it was October.

Overall, Iceland was amazing and the country is beautiful. I really liked the accommodations booked for us by Iceland Travel as well, I don’t think I could have booked better ones on my own. The car that we rented was sufficient and the GPS navigation was great. However, I think that I could have planned the itinerary/points of interest myself and we would have went a similar route, so I’m not sure if I will use Iceland Travel for our next adventure in Iceland.

Hi there,

Thank you for the feedback, we really appreciate it.

Great to hear how happy you were with the accommodations and our Iceland Travel Companion app.

We regret the unfortunate wait for your rental car as the car should have been ready. We understand how frustrating it is to start your holiday with a wait. We will forward your review to Hertz and we sincerely hope this will not happen again.

We understand that day three of the tour can be long, but for the majority of our customers on this tour, it's a must to see the Glacier Lagoon, Diamond Beach and for some, the magnificent Vatnajökull glacier and Skaftafell national park, which all are close to Höfn, where you stayed that night. If we had known that you wanted a tour with shorter distances each day, we would have recommended another tour for you.

Thank you for pointing out that some places were closed for the winter, we will take an even better look at the recommended stops for the tour.

Reviewed October 9, 2018

I loved this service for Blue Lagoon transfer, because all the other buses I found were limited on time (usually 4 hours). I wanted the option to stay as long as I want until I decide to leave. Thank goodness I did, because I stayed until closing! The last bus picking up from Blue Lagoon to Reykjavík is at 11:15pm. (And I arrived from KEF airport).
This was the only bus I could find that allows you to take the bus back at any of their hourly pickups. For this reason it was the perfect bus for me!

Also, since there was only 3 people on my bus, it took me straight to my hostel in Hlemmur Square. Really great service, exactly as described.

FreyjaK1, Service Marketing Expert at Iceland Travel, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2018

Hi there,

Thank you for your review.

It's great to hear that you found what you were looking for on our website and that you were able to enjoy the Blue Lagoon to the fullest.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write a review, we appreciate it.

Reviewed October 9, 2018

We wanted to spend our week at one hotel in Reykjavik and take day tours from there. Planning a vacation can be daunting, especially for a country as rich in scenery and culture as Iceland! Iceland Travel made it so easy to book a variety of tours through their website. We booked with a variety of different operators, such as Gray Line and Wake Up Reykjavik. All were professional, prompt and great communicators! We were easily able to create our entire itinerary through Iceland Travel

We felt that all trips lived up to the descriptions on their website. Ticketing was so easy and organized. And the service offered from both Iceland Travel and their vendors was top notch. If we can ever afford to go back to Iceland, we will most definitely book through Iceland Travel again!

Hi there,

Thank you for your review, we appreciate it.

We're delighted to hear how we made the planning process easier for you and that everything went smoothly.

We hope to hear from you again for your next Iceland adventure.

Reviewed September 24, 2018 via mobile

We just got back from a 9 night self drive tour around Iceland booked through Iceland travel. In general, the tour was well organized, and the hotels were quite good. Our main concern was the car pick up from Hertz at the airport. It took us two hours to finally get our car after landing at the airport. We were given a GPS and travel app loaded on a tablet. There were no instructions given to us when we were given the tablet, and this proved to be a problem as we had to go back to the counter several times to get the app to work.

After the first days travel, the tablet failed to boot up, and we had to exchange it at our first hotel for a second tablet. This one work for about six days, and then failed to charge. Fortunately my wife had taken screen shots of the daily itinerary which we used to plan our days when the tablet didn’t work. I had brought our own GPS and a travel maps which proved invaluable as we would’ve been stranded without them. I think the company has to maintain their tablets and replace the chargeable batteries as required otherwise the problem will persist. Also providing a digital file with the daily itinerary would be very useful when the tablet breaks down. The clerk at the hotel told us that other travellers had told her that the Iceland travel tablet had broken down for them also.

Hope these comments are helpful.

FreyjaK1, Service Marketing Expert at Iceland Travel, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2018

Hi there,

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate it.

We're glad to hear that the hotels were satisfactory and that the tour was well organized.

We regret the unfortunate wait at your arrival as the car should have been ready. We understand the frustration and we have offered you a compensation for the inconvenience.

Regarding the problems with the tablet, the intent of the Iceland Travel Companion app is to, first, enhance the customer experience and in line with our environmental efforts, to reduce the need for paper itineraries and maps.

While we always do our best to ensure the tablets are in good working order, we are very sorry to hear that the you experienced difficulties and understand how that may have affected your travel experience. We are already working on solutions to improve the experience of traveling with the tablet for future customers. We have also offered you a compensation for this problem.

I sincerely hope that you enjoyed your time in Iceland overall.

Reviewed September 18, 2018 via mobile

We booked the northern lights tour with Iceland Travel about a month before the trip. I was a little nervous since I read that sometimes they would not show up to the pick up location. However everything was executed flawlessly. I think that people read the directions wrong. They tell you a start time, then a departure time and ask that you show up to the bus pickup place 30 minutes prior. The people that miss the pick up probably show up exactly at departure time and not early as they request.
The lights were fantastic, better than anyone expected, even for the guides. Great job!

FreyjaK1, Service Marketing Expert at Iceland Travel, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2018

Hi there,

Thank you so much for your review, we appreciate it.

I'm so glad to hear that everything went smoothly and that you even got to see the northern lights, it's breathtaking every time!

Thank you so much for the information for future travelers, I can agree that people sometimes read the directions wrong.

Again, we appreciate you taking the time to write a review and we hope to hear from you when you start planning your next Iceland adventure.

Reviewed September 13, 2018 via mobile

We only booked three day tours with this company, but the service was first class. When coming half way around the world to visit Iceland you need a company to trust. Our Northern Lights tour was, unfortunately cancelled due to weather. Informing the company my request for refund was immediately recognized. The other two trips were great and if the weather behaves we can highly recommend a trip to Westman Island - especially for golfers - try it!

1  Thank Maggie C
FreyjaK1, Service Marketing Expert at Iceland Travel, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2018

Hi there,

Thank you so much for your review.

I'm so glad to hear how satisfied you were with our service, we strive to create the best possible experience for our guests. It's also good to know that you enjoyed the tours.

We hope you'll get better luck with the northern lights the next time to visit Iceland.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write a review, we appreciate it.

Reviewed September 10, 2018

We used Iceland travel to book a self drive tour. After some discussion with them we decided on a self drive tour. We also decided to base in the south west and day travel from there. We focused on just seeing the south west. Iceland travel helped us find a hotel that matched our need in a very convenient location in the southwest and found us an nice hotel for our one night in Reykjavik.

Everything was planned as described and we had no problems with our reservations. In addition the company was very responsive, and the tablet they provided was very useful for finding things we wanted to do.

I will recommend them to other friends and use them again when we return to see the rest of Iceland.

FreyjaK1, Service Marketing Expert at Iceland Travel, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2018

Hi there,

Thank you for your review, we appreciate it.

It's great to hear how we were able to create the perfect tour for you that matched your needs. I'm delighted to hear that you were pleased with the response time, the tablet and hotels.

We look forward to hearing from you for planning your next Iceland adventure!