Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
$82
View deal
Hotels.com$82
Booking.com$82
eDreams$82
CheapTickets$82
Travelocity$82
Trip.com$100
All reviews minute walk bsi bus station guest house single room walked everywhere short stay sink appliances signal tours meats
Selected filters
Reviewed March 11, 2017

There are stairs up to the front door and the guesthouse has no elevator. Because Reykjavik uses hyrdo-thermal heat, our room was toasty to the point of opening a window, even though it was winter weather.
The room, on the first floor, had 2 twin beds, a closet, sink and a mirror.
The bathroom was located directly across the hall.
There is a kitchen where you can store your own food and a stove to cook on.
Breakfast can be purchased for a nominal fee.
The office is open until 4 pm and may be closed if the person on duty has to attend to some problem.
There are coin-operated laundry facilities in the basement.
All in all, this guesthouse was a good value for the money and, probably, one of the cheapest places to stay in a fairly expensive city.

Reviewed January 24, 2017

Two nights in Reykjavik at the igdlo. Room on 1st floor, next to bathhroom. Very clean, quite and felt welcomed. No luxury here, small single room, no cable on TV, shared bathroom ( but sink in rooms), so relatively inexpensive for the superb location. Less than 10 minutes walk from bus station and the cathedral. Basic but good buffet breakfast for about 10 euros, cheap in Reykjavik. Great communal kitchen with all appliances, great system in place to share food left over from previous guests and the ultimate luxury: free diy coffee and teas. All this a godsend in Reykjavik, if you want to save some money on very expensive restaurants. Some hints: When you alight from the bus, you are at the back of the terminal and there is a highway level with you bordering the back. You have to go inside the terminal to get to its front and the street you have to get to is the one in front of the terminal up a hill. Then you cross that street and go right as they say in the hotel instructions continuing up the hill, till you get to an overpass. There is a pedestrian tunnel under the overpass which is a bit hidden from view. You have to find it and use it. The hotel is on your left after emerging from that tunnel and it is in a conventional looking house. Also there is no Another hint: the nearest long hours convenience store ( opened till 23:30 ) is Kambuo at the beginning of the main shopping street leading to the cathedral. It is a bit expensive. I was wondering on the 1st day what to buy which was good value and I have this suggestion: buy local products. For example stay away from imported cheeses and try Villisvepaostur a round sort of cream cheese in different flavors. I tried the wild mushrooms and while a bit rubbery, found it interesting and tasty. Slices of smoked lamb are good. And for the ultimate in cheap filling student type culinary delight with a local touch, buy the following: dried rotini pasta, can of 'Tomater with garlic' (crushed tomatoes) reduce it by half to make an inexpensive sauce and garnish with Ora ( the label) Fiskbollur ( fish balls, also available as meat balls) which come in a can and can be fried in a pan ( sticks like hell) or boiled. The fish balls have a subtle flavors being a mix of fish and potato puree. That italian - icelandic pasta medlee which I call in honor of the hosts: Rotinis a la Igdlo, costs less than 6 US dollars, is enough for 2 people and call me weird, but was found excellent. Wash it down with Gull local beer and finish either some Skyr, a sort of ultra thick low fat yogurt-like dairy product (comes in different flavors) or/and local Sirius dark chocolate bars, which I found very good and you are all set to explore Iceland. If you get freezing rains and 100 km/hre winds, which I did, book as soon as possible a tour of the lava caves as these will practically be the only outdoor activity unaffected.

• Trip type: Traveled solo
4  Thank Nicola T
Reviewed January 16, 2017 via mobile

So, Igdlo. I had no idea what to expect, and the photographs I saw didn't really do this place a lot of justice. As a couple with a small amount of disposable income, my girlfriend and I had to think realistically when it came to booking accommodation in this incredibly expensive country.

After browsing for a few nights after work, we came across Igdlo, and it already had some decent reviews to back up its reputation of being good value for your money. Without any hesitation, we booked for three nights and paid upfront.

We arrived in Iceland just before midnight, got our hire car, and headed around 50KM from Keflavik to our accommodation, which is conveniently situated around 15-20 minutes walking from the centre. I was totally surprised to see that there was loads of parking available on the residential streets nearby, as well as a few spots right outside the building.

Because it was so late, we had to let ourselves in with a key code that had been emailed to us beforehand. Our key was waiting for us in our door, and we made our way inside the room.

Room 203 has been awesome. The bed was very comfortable, we had more than enough towels, and the radiator kept us feeling lovely and warm as the harsh Icelandic winds blew viciously outside. There's a decent sized TV in each room, as well as bedside cabinets, a cupboard with a sock drawer, and cute decorations.

Each room differs to accommodate different sized groups, but they definitely accommodate couples. My girlfriend and I got a double bed with fresh bedding and we've both slept soundly every night we've been here.

Breakfast is on offer each morning for 1.100ISK (approx. £8) per person, which is comparatively cheaper than a lot of your other breakfast options in the city centre. Definitely a good way to start your day if you don't want to do a walking price comparison whilst battling with the weather conditions. What shocked me even more is that they encourage their guests to take or leave food in the kitchen cupboards, which is awesome. They acknowledge that nothing is cheap in this country, and it's good to see that people like to share with those who haven't got a lot of money to spend. There's also a coffee machine, free of charge, which makes an excellent, straight from the bean coffee. That's also an absolute money saver seeing as the average for a cup of coffee is around £4 in the city, and that's for the cheaper ones.

I've been doing a lot of adventuring and sleeping when I've had the opportunity, so I've only been able to shower a couple of times out of the four days I've been here. The shower was an absolute delight. It's communal, which I thought I'd have a problem with, but the place was so quiet that I never had a problem just walking into the bathroom without having to wait. The water is so fresh, and just like the take or leave attitude with the food, they encourage guests to leave behind any unwanted shampoo/cleaning products for other guests to use. It's a truly awesome system that, had I been more unorganised, would've served me greatly.

There's plenty of great travel and tour information available for free near the reception, which is great for those who aren't planning on doing improvised solo journeys in their cars. The staff are incredibly helpful, super friendly and very knowledgeable about pretty much everything you need to know. Don't be afraid to go and ask questions.

All I'll say is, screw the idea of shelling out double or triple for a hotel. If you're coming here with limited funds and you want to make the most of this trip, save the money you'd have spent on a hotel and give these guys your business. This place taught me not to be so skeptical about staying in hostels.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
5  Thank Gregofdeath
Reviewed January 16, 2017 via mobile

A lovely place to stay at a reasonable price, Iceland can be expensive and I was worried when we booked here that it may be cold or uncomfortable. Not the case, the rooms aren't with frills but nothing beats coming to a lovely cosy room after exploring in Iceland countryside. There are cooking facilities which are great because eating out every night isn't a option in Reykjavik. Sometimes the shared facilities were a little dirty, such as the toilet bowl but it doesn't stay that way long as they are cleaned everyday 5**

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Natalie G
Reviewed December 10, 2016 via mobile

Just 5 walk away from the church on the hill .
My room was perfect for one and the bed so comfortable .
I really need a coffee in the morning .They had free coffee , tea and hot chocolate etc .
The kitchen is very well stocked so you can prepare , cook and refrigerate food .
Shower room very modern , clean and warm .
The reception manned by friendly and help ful staff .
I was really delighted with my 5 nights here .

Date of stay: December 2016