“Best place in Reykjavik-wouldn't go anywhere else!”
Review of Igdlo Guesthouse

and 1 more site!
Igdlo Guesthouse
Ranked #17 of 109 Reykjavik B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“Best place in Reykjavik-wouldn't go anywhere else!”
Reviewed March 15, 2014

My stay here was awesome. Fridrik and Ingi are the best hosts and always went out of their ways to ensure I had a great say. They let me know that they had a free room at last minute when weather changed some of my travel plans and held it for me until I arrived. And when I did, they showed me a variety of great day trips outside Reykjavik for me to do instead. It is a very homey atmosphere and I felt immensely comfortable.

The room was very nice too, comfortable place to set up as a base for explorations. They also have a nice breakfast spread as well. The kitchen and common areas are great with 4 fridges and plus there is free espresso! The location is also very convenient, it is just ten minute walk to city center. This keeps you in a nice quiet area without being too far.

I cannot wait to come back to Iceland next summer and you can bet I'll be staying here again when I do!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Tony R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I was told by a friend to buy beer at the airport because it is a lot cheaper. I did this and lucky for my Idglo had four fridges (or just outside) for me to use. We have been travelling for 8 months and the double bed was unbelievable, slept 12 hours the first night. The room also had a basin and a good heater.

The owner spent 30 minutes with us helping with our itinerary while I played with his dog, the kitchen is one of the best I have seen. They don't charge for linen or towels, the bathrooms are perfect, the location is the best in town for the northern lights as its an easy 10 minute walk from the centre and has a couple of balconies.

They offer free landline calls within Iceland which is handy for planning tours or accommodation.

Can not fault this place. FREE TEA!

Room Tip: Best kitchen I have seen in a hostel, save money and cook.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Reddaman
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Excellent base for exploring Reykjavik on a budget. Close to the Bus Station and a 10 minute walk to the city centre. Ingi and Fridrik were both excellent hosts, nothing was ever too much bother for them. Kitchen facilities were very good, as were the showers. Room was basic but clean and the beds were clean and comfortable (the blackout blinds were also very helpful as it never really got dark the whole time we were there). We took up the offer of hiring the little Citroen C1 from Fridrik for 3 consecutive days to explore, really couldn't have been any easier. The price we paid was very good, and the arrangement very relaxed. There is a petrol station 2 minutes from the guesthouse which made it easy to fill up every evening ready for the next day. When we next visit Iceland we will definitely be making this our base.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Healsby
Versailles, France
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I stayed in this hostel for 9 nights - from December, 23rd 2013 to January, 1rst 2014.

The hostel is close to the BSI station (which is very practical when you take bus trips with Reykjavik excursions, and a mere 15 minutes walk away from the city center). It is modern, offers all the usual conveniences, and is kept exceptionally clean.

The reception is amicable and very patient, the room was warm and rather cosy, with a functioning internet wifi connection (which, in my experience, cannot be taken for granted even in 4-star hotels).

It can get slightly noisy

The only (minor, for most people) disadvantage that I could think of is that rooms on the third floor are "under the roof" meaning that you cannot stand fully on the whole area of the room, which can be inconvenient if you are not used to it (or if you suffer from claustrophobia).

Also, it can get slightly noisy at times, but most of the times it's perfectly silent and you would get bothered by this only if you are exceptionally sensitive to noise.

Overall, the quality / price ratio of this hostel is very high, and I wholeheartedly recommend this hostel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lacordaire83
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

The guesthouse is very clean, comfortable to stay, with a large kitchen to prepare your own food if you wish. Ingi, one of the owners of the guesthouse, is very kind, patient and offers helpful tips on everything about travelling around. My friend and I stayed nine nights there, which is one part of our great memory in Iceland. Would highly recommend this cozy place!!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jiaying918
Comrie, Perthshire
Reviewed December 19, 2013

I booked the guesthouse because the reviews and facilities sounded good and I was travelling alone. I did not like the idea of a hotel which can be restrictive regarding breakfast times etc. I was not disappointed in any way. Ingi, one of the owners was so helpful, advising me where to go and what to see, giving me information and directions. He even knocked on my door one evening to tell me to come out to the garden to see the lights. He knew that having been to Iceland before, my main reason for going again was purely for the lights. It was so kind of him. I was lucky enought to see them again that evening on the night tour, so that made my break complete. The guesthouse is immaculate, the room I had was fresh and comfortable. There is a well equipped kitchen upstairs where you can easily prepare your own food if you wish, and a nice dining area. I booked breakfast and each morning, everything was left out for me to help myself and there was no restriction on time. This accomodation was perfect for me, there was about 10 - 15 minute walk to the town centre and it was the perfect base for my break. I would recommend the Igdlo to anyone visiting Reykjavik, just because it is in the cheaper price bracket do not underestimate it.Thanks for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Annieadams1958
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I stayed here with my boyfriend in September, the room was clean and spacious and just what we needed.
The bathroom was clean and we never had to wait, don't be put off by the smell, its normal and meant to smell that way because of the sulphate.
Its an ideal location for central Reykjavik too.

Enjoy your stay!