“Lovely”

Igdlo Guesthouse
Ranked #33 of 109 Reykjavik B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Igdlo was ideal for us.
We were stopping over in Reykjavik for a few days before heading to the US. The room was clean, the bed comfortable and the kitchen well equipped. We arrived by bus from the airport and Igdlo is basically the first hotel or guesthouse you come to, so very convenient. It is also just a short walk away from Hallgrimskirkja and to the main city area.
If you stay for 3 or more days, they let you use the hire bikes free for a day, which was a great way to see Reykjavik.
Overall, great value for money.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Wibsy147

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Booked this guest house for one night purely based upon the price in comparison to other accommodation in Reykjavik. The guest house in simple, clean and warm. It is also quiet allowing us to have a good night sleep. Location wise it is right next to the main bus station, about 15-20 minutes walk from the main street in Reykjavik and if you are hiring a car from Europocar in Skeifan it is about 15 minutes on bus route 3 directly to the centre.
We were only staying one night in Reykjavic before embarking on the Icelandic ring road, this little guest house was perfect to begin our holiday and the nice breakfast was just right to send us on our way.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Booked the Igdlo based purely on price and was very surprised. Location wise, its just up the road from the Bus depot and town is just a short stroll away. All the major town attractions can be walked to from the Igdlo (though Reykjavik isnt that big a town anyway).

The accommodation is well kept and tidy and the linen and bedding is clean. Water is steaming hot and I never had to wait for any of the shared facilities.

Without a doubt, the best part about the Igdlo is the staff. Owners Ingi and Frederik are very helpful, responding to emails quickly and with lots of information. They're also more than willing to help you with suggestions of places to go, things to eat and drink.

If you have the time, grab a few beers and sit down with Ingi, he's well traveled and its fascinating to swap travel tales with him!

Room Tip: If your short, dont get one of the rooms on the top floor!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Stayed here for 4 days this week and had a great stay. The accommodation is very comfortable and the Guest house is kept clean and tidy. Every member of staff was extremely helpful and friendly. helping us to sort out trips and car rentals and passing on messages from tour companies. It is a lovely family run business and the hosts really do put a lot of time in to the guest house and their guests.

The guest house is on the edge of town, close to the very large church, and has parking space outside. In the summer there are benches in the garden to sit and enjoy the sun. The kitchen is well equipped and saved us from eating out all the time and the coffee machine is always ready to go. There is also a computer for guests to use and wifi for use on your own equipment. It's proximity to the BSI terminal was another bonus meaning we never had far to walk to go on a tour/to the airport. It is also close to the domestic airport.

I will definitely be staying here again should I find myself in Reykjavik.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 10, 2013

My first time staying in a guesthouse with shared bathroom/toilet/kitchen/dining area, i must say i'm very lucky to stumble upon Igdlo!

Kat tie & Ingri are extremely friendly and helpful (Kat is very pretty too :)). Kat spent more than half an hour with us when me and my friend checked in late in the evening, explaining everything to us and show us around (you simply won't get this kinda welcome in any hotel!). We asked a lots of questions (she is so warm and friendly and pretty so we just can't help and kept asking questions and enjoyed her accompany!)

Ingri is a very gentle soft-spoken gentleman and very helpful and informative, he will offer his opinion in everything that we asked of. I even called him late at night (11+pm, he has already gone back home) for advice for places to catch a glimpse of northern light outside Reykjavik and he patiently recommend me a few places.

It is a very pleasant experience staying at Igdlo guesthouse. We ate breakfast in a dining room together with other guest, we chat and we made new friends, it feel like staying in a family house with relatives.

On the day we checked in, Kat told us around 4am later a group of student will check-in. We did heard noices from our room when they check-in, but the noices die down quickly. They are very efficient in handling large group check-in as to keep the disturbance to other tennent to a minimum.

There are free wifi that can be access from every room, there are even a desktop PC at second floor with internet free to use for anyone. They also have car for rent, we only found out about this when we were there because it was not mentioned in tripadvisor and they don't have a webpage yet. From my comparison, their rate is one of the cheapest in Reykjavik.

Location wise, Igdlo is ~10 minutes walk from the city centre and ~5mins walk from the BSI bus terminal, ~20mins walk from Kringla shopping mall (don't go here, nothing worth buying for tourist).

I would definitely recommend Igdlo to everyone and would definitely stay there again :)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank robseet
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I stayed here in a single room on a 17 hour layover in Reykjavic. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, and the owner was immensely helpful, staying up until 1am when I arrived and getting in at 8am to help me organize a trip to the Blue Lagoon, even refrigerating for me some cheese I had bought and needed to keep cold overnight. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank FrancisFarmer
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I stayed here several nights in June of 2012 both at the beginning of our trip around Iceland and at the end of our trip. I found the place to be a solid clean, basic accommodation. I enjoyed my stay here, and one of the owners even made the room available to check in early as we had arrived on an early morning flight. The breakfast was simple (toast, cereal, fruit, coffee, skyr) but a good option the mornings we had tours picking us up relatively early. The owner did accidentally overcharge our bill by a small amount, I think double charging us for breakfast, but once pointed out we all agreed to discount that amount from our next bill when we came back to stay at Igdlo at the end of our trip. Overall I had a positive experience and I'd recommend Igdlo.

Room Tip: I found our stay on the second floor to be quieter than our later stay on the third floor.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple