“Not a great place for burger”

Hamborgarafabrikkan
Ranked #74 of 519 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Grill
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: PLEASED TO "MEAT" YOU Ok. You're in Iceland. Probably not for the first time. Not something you do every year, right? You will probably bathe in the Blue Lagoon and take a road trip to Gullfoss and Geysir. That's all well and good. But neither is something you eat. That's why we have 15 brilliant and creative hamburgers at the Hamburger Factory. And they are all perfectly square. Made from 100% fresh high-quality ingredients, directly from Icelandic nature. The Hamburger Factory is Iceland's most innovative gourmet burger chain. Packed with burger-craving customers since its opening in 2010, among the regulars is Iceland's best known fisherman, Eric Clapton. We have three wonderful restaurants in Iceland. The mothership opened in 2010 on the groundfloor of the highest tower in Reykjavík, right opposite Höfdi house. Our second one is in Akureyri, the capital of the north. It opened in 2013 on the groundfloor of the historic Hotel Kea in the heart of the town's center. The third one opened in the spring of 2014 in Icelander's favorite shopping mall, Kringlan. Be sure to stop by before you leave. You will love it. And we will love you back. BE SQUARE AND BE THERE!
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I went there because I've heard this one a good place to have burgers in town.
The restaurant itself looks nice on the ground floor on the tallest building in Reykjavik.

Let's talk about the burgers now. I order a President which is with brie cheese and Dijon mustard. As a French I know how this should taste and I was really disappointed with the taste of the cheese and the mustard was basically nonexistent. That made for a pretty plain burger overall. The chips were ok but nothing really special.
The staff was friendly but not really fast, as everywhere in Iceland (service is definitely not a strong thing here).
The burgers aren't that expensive but for the same value you can have way better downtown.

I don't recommend that place at all.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Simple yet tastefully decorated place. The burger was very good for Icelandic standard and bernaise souce was delicious. We haven´t booked a table in advance and waited around 20 minutes for a table, since the place is popular with local teenagers.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Being an avid burger hound I was really gutted to recently revisit the HF to enjoy the taste of a dam good burger. What I got was a plate of food that looked like was on a diet with the smallest meat pattie I have ever seen in Iceland! Wow I thought, they have really reduced the size of these things! What's happened? Biting in to the burger was nice, everything was there but in no less that 3 really good mouthfuls, the whole thing was gone. Ok don't panic, I said, you have the coleslaw and fries but when I went to try the coleslaw something amazing occurred, absolutely nothing! no taste, no seasoning! Hello chefs, did you buy this stuff from Bonus? I think so and to go with the cheapest coleslaw in existence you bought the cheapest shop frozen fries to go with it! In a place like HF, I would have believed that a team with more money than Arion Bank could go so far as to hand cut some potatoes, steam them, deep fry and season to perfection, let's get back in the game HF.

your biggest fan since you opened. x

1  Thank David R
Joi79, Owner at Hamborgarafabrikkan, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Hello David
First I want to thank you for your contribution. We really value our customres opinions. We are sorry that your visit to The Hamburger Factory was a dissapointment and really hope that your next visit turns out great. Regarding the food, I can assure you that since our opening in 2010 we have changed absolutely nothing. The burgers are made from the same top-quality beef and are the same weight and size, the fries are Cavendish top-quality "skin on ends" fries and the coleslaw is the same. But we will of course take your input to consideration and are thankful for your repeated visits to us.
Respectfully,
Jóhannes Ásbjörnsson
Marketing manager

Reviewed August 8, 2013

Amongst the four of us, three chose burgers, all different types, one of us had caesar salad - not so good, bland, no taste. The burgers are all fine though, even Eric Clapton has eaten here ! Quite a young-ish local crowd, some families, modern decor, you could wait 20 - 30 minutes for a table but worth it !

1  Thank Mister J
Reviewed August 4, 2013

So much of Iceland is super expensive but these are REALLY yummy gourmet burgers (apparently it's Eric Clapton's regular stop when he's in town) and they are pretty reasonably priced for the area. Great view of the water and friendly staff. Will be making multiple visits while in town.