“Average hotel, but not in an negative way”

Radisson Blu Saga Hotel, Reykjavik
Ranked #40 of 52 Hotels in Reykjavik
GreenLeadersGold level
Oslo, Norway
“Average hotel, but not in an negative way”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

This was a hotel with its pros and cons. Although they accused us for not having paid for breakfast our third morning there, the staff tried to be helpful and friendly. The wi-fi didn't work on the sixth floor for two days, and that is something I expect them to fix with shorter notice. Otherwise, good beds. I slept really good. 6th floor was very quiet, but I guess the guests on the lower floor were more disturbed by partying guests. I can picture myself booking it again, but it was a bit pricy in relation to what we got.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
RD_Saga, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Saga Hotel, Reykjavik, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Dear guest,

We are looking forward to welcome you back
Isey Thorgrimsdottir

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
waco
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

This is a pathetic excuse of a Hotel. I'm not sure how it has any stars, let alone 4. The internet and tv do not work and whenever I called reception, I got the same answer...they were working on it. How many days does it take to reset a router?

If you're fortunate enough to be staying here on a weekend, have fun staying up to whatever party is on the second floor. The hotel rents out the ballroom to weddings, parties, etc...and if one is occurring during your stay they have the right to play their music as loud as they want until 2 am. Which is awesome if you have an early start for a tour the next day. You can call reception, but they clearly can't do anything about it. Management obviously doesn't care, as they rent the halls out knowing full well that they will get noise complaints.

The buffet serves the same food every night, for a scandalous price. The rooms are old and tvs are the smallest I've seen since the 90´s. There is no concierge, just reception and some travel agency office. The gym closes at 8 pm. Why does the fitness center have office hours? There isn't actually any room service after 10, even though they advertise 24-hour room service.
The location sucks...unless you are planning on auditing some classes at the university during your stay. Get something closer to downtown. Black Pearl sounds amazing.

I'm pretty sure the large lady in reception is bi-polar. She emphatically told me upon my arrival that I could not check in early on a Monday without even looking into the computer. Then 10 minutes later someone else checked me in without a second thought. Seriously, I'm not sure how there are any good reviews of this hotel. They must be written by hotel employees or guests coming from Kazakhstan that don't know any better.

This place is a joke.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Andy B
RD_Saga, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Saga Hotel, Reykjavik, responded to this review, November 22, 2013

Dear guest
I am very sorry to read about your disappointing experience, we always prefer the listen every guest's experience in details to improve our service standards. For this reason, I would highly appreciate if you may contact me directly on the e-mail isey.thorgrimsdottir@radissonblu.com to let me know your experience thoroughly in our hotel.

Again, please accept my sincere apologies and thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.
Isey Thorgrimsdottir

Travelers are raving about these Reykjavik hotels

York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

Excellent location. Short walk to the city center. Friendly helpful staff. Clean and comfortable room. A first class breakfast - everything you could wish for - even freshly mixed fruit juice cocktails.
Will certainly return - wish we could have stayed longer - 3 nights just not long enough to do everything. Very well organised trips with pick ups from the Hotel. Very friendly people. Thank you!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank YorkMax
Dear guest,
Thank you!! I appreciate the time you took to share your beautiful comments about Radisson Blu Saga Hotel. It is an honor for us to hear such nice words from you about our hotel and to know you enjoyed your stay.

We would be delighted to welcome you back soon again
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

This hotel was part of the package that I booked for Iceland, so didn't have a choice in where to stay. I had the reviews prior to staying and was concerned about the earlier reviews. I think our stay at Radisson was better than expected based on the reviews. The staff at reception were friendly. We were only the 5th floor, and had a decent room. The toilet was modern enough even if some other parts of the hotel, such as the hallways were dated, perhaps due to the carpets. We were out sightseeing and on tours so this was really just a base to stay in. The beds were comfortable and I fell asleep pretty much straight away. My only criticism is that on Saturday night we could hear music which was louder than normal and it appeared to come from a club somewhere inside the hotel. I did still get to sleep though but I can image that others might struggle especially if they were nearer to the club. We enjoyed breakfast with a wide variety, cereals, cheeses and meats, bacon, eggs and beans, and our favourites were the yoghurts and the smoothies made fresh at the bar. I would say its about 15-20 minutes walk into town, and once you get your bearing, its quite an easy walk.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Louisa1974

Berkeley, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

Stayed here for three nights (one before and two after an Iceland tour with my family). First room was very small, had a leaking faucet and was not well situated (front facing with full sun and blinds that are mostly not sealable - a minus when the sun is up for 20 hours a day..), but I was able to check in very early upon my arrival (shortly after 11 am), which was very nice. The second room was much nicer and was facing the city. It seems like they have many different kind of rooms so it worth asking to see another room if you are not happy with the one you are initially given. The hotel is a short and easy 10-15 minutes walk from the center of the city. Breakfast buffet had good selection and service was okay. On the first day while I was trying to get some sleep after my long sleepless flight (only a couple of hours after checking in) someone was banging on my door several times even though I put a 'privacy please' sign and when I didn't answer they attempted to enter with a key! Luckily I had the door locked from the inside and they weren't able to. But it was very annoying and woke me up.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank OOpp2
Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your comments on tripadvisor with your feedback following your stay at the Radisson Blu Hotel Saga.

I would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused and sincerely apologize for somebody trying to enter your door. I can assure you that I have started an investigation as soon as I saw your comments and have taken precautions that similar issues do not happen again in the future.

I sincerely hope that the experience will not deter you from returning to one of our properties in the future.
We are looking forward to welcome you back soon
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

The hotel is within walking distance to city center. With all the construction going on around the city center, this hotel is a better alternative.
The price was quite reasonable. Breakfast was included when I stayed there.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest, Thank you for staying at Radisson Blu Hotel Saga and for taking the time to write these very nice comments. We are looking forward to welcome you back
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

The hotel is situated around 10 minutes (steady walk) from the centre. Its not the prettiest location due to some building work around its perimeter, but Im sure that may change in time. Some areas are a little dated but they are clean, it just needs a little facelift to modernise the interior.
The reception area is small but adequate and the staff (all staff) were very friendly, cheerful and helpful, we cant fault their attitude. The restaurants are excellent, expensive, but everything is expensive in Iceland.
The rooms look out across the city or surrounding landscape, they are very clean and well equipped.
Breakfast was a mix of hot/cold food all well prepared and presented, plenty of choice to fill you up for the day. So we would return to this hotel, it suited our budget and requirements, a nice hotel.

Room Tip: Higher the better for some fantastic views.