“under renovation but close to University and excellent service”

Radisson Blu Saga Hotel
Ranked #44 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Picked this hotel since it was close to business at the University. The service was great!

But the rooms need a serious upgrade. The furniture was worn and the drapes did not fully darken the room, a necessity with 20 hours of daylight in the summer.

Again, I want to say the staff was great. Breakfast buffet was good and our other meals were very good. For convenience to the University it is a good choice but the jack hammering outside the north wing was annoying. Be sure to get a room away from the construction outside.

Room Tip: away from the construction
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank RecRob
RD_Saga, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Saga Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Dear guest
I appreciate the time you took to share your beautiful comments about Radisson Blu Saga Hotel. It is an honor for us to hear such nice words from you about our hotel and to know you enjoyed your stay.

We would be delighted to welcome you back soon again
Isey Thorgrimsdottir

Write a ReviewReviews (2,141)

Reviewed July 14, 2013

I went for a conference during the month of June for a conference and I picked the Radisson because it was close to the university. Breakfast was great with a lot of choices and the spa+ gym were also very nice and certainly worth the stay. The room, on the other, was quite standard with no extras at all. All in all, nice hotel but too expensive if you wanna travel keeping an eye at your pocket!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Andres_and_Angela

Dear guest
Thank you for your nice comments and taking the time to write.
We are looking forward to welcome you back soon

Reviewed July 10, 2013

it was a good hotel, very helpful staff, i really enjoyed everything they suggested and really helped us see ICELAND.

very tourist friendly.

there is a travel desk at the hotel to book everything.

the reception had all the information about local happenings, walking routes, local attractions.

Room Tip: no need to book any excursions in iceland, book everything once there, it might be cheaper, and you...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Ratheen
RD_Saga, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Saga Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Dear guest

We would be delighted to welcome you back soon again.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I was a little skeptical when booking this hotel since there were some mixed reviews. But when looking around for a hotel, I guess we booked late because there were no other hotels available in our price range for the dates we wanted. So we went with the Radisson Blu Saga and I have to say that we were pleasantly surprised with out our stay and really think this is a great hotel option.

First of all, the booking was really easy and VERY helpful. They price guarantee which is great because we were able to book our room directly through the hotel and not have to use a 3rd party site, which cannot always be cancelled. They had a US number and we were able to book the reservation without even providing a cc # plus they have a 24 hour cancellation policy.

The hotel lobby and rooms are fine. Not beautiful but VERY clean and neat and totally fine. They had the extra cot set up for us, as we had requested. We had a 2 twins room and the beds are small but I have heard that is normal for Europe. They were definitely comfortable regardless. It's close enough to the main center and were able to easily walk there. All the tours pick you up and drop you off from the hotel so that was also easy.

I think the best part of the hotel, however, is that they really aim to please. Any issue or questions we had, they immediately addressed. We couldn't figure out how to close out window and someone immediately came up to help us. We needed towels and they right away came to bring them to us. And overall, they really did everything to make us happy and satisfied. We thought the staff was kind and helpful and that's what really made us feel that this hotel was really worth it.

The spa is also really awesome and free! We really enjoyed that too.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Rebsap
RD_Saga, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Saga Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear guest,

I am so happy you gave us a chance.
We would be delighted to welcome you back soon again.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Stayed in a junior suite. Booked this hotel as a family of four. The hotel is well located but the décor was dated and the hotel seemed more appropriate to a three rating. The breakfast was good, but the evening buffet had a very limited choice.

Stayed in June 2013

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
RD_Saga, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Saga Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you for staying with Radisson Blu Hotel Saga and for your very good feedback.
I would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused and sincerely regret that you were not satisfied, we take all feedback as a tool to improve our service and standars.

We are looking forward to welcome you back

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Let me start by saying that we have been staying at this hotel since 2004, and have had 5 visits there over the years. We continue to come back because of the great location in walking distance to many Reykjavik attractions, as well as the fact that they offer junior suites that fit our family of 4, which is hard to find in Reykjavik. However I am sad to say that this most recent stay was so disappointing, that I don't think we will ever go back! We spent our last two nights in Iceland here prior to flying home. We arrived at 10pm and checked in, went to our room where we found that they had indeed set up the room for all four of us, already setting up the beds for our children. That was a pleasant surprise. However, it was followed by the discovery that there was not a single towel in our room! Not one! Of course we called down and they promptly remedied that, but really?? The towels were thread bare and some had frayed ends. Other problems with the room included a bathtub that drained VERY slowly, some sort of bizarre wind tunnel in the bathroom when you close the door that pulled cold air through when you were taking a shower. We ended up stuffing towels under the door to help this. Also, the darkening curtains (which are a necessity in summer in Iceland) were falling off the rods.
At breakfast, which is included and in the past has always been quite good, the breakfast room was terrible. We arrived at 9:30am for breakfast, and every table was either occupied or dirty. The staff couldn't or wasn't keeping up with cleaning tables. There were no plates available. We took clean coffee cups and scrounged for silverwear, and sat at a table with crumbs all over it. The variety of breakfast foods was amazing as usual, and designed to meet the culinary needs of an international crowd from Asia, Europe, and North America. But it was very hard to overlook the disarray of the dining room. Our second morning was better, but only because we had to eat at 6:15am so we could catch our bus to the airport.
So basically the experience at Saga is very uneven...the front desk staff were friendly and very competent, and the hotel provides many extras, like robes, slippers, chocolates in your room and a fresh rose. However none of that matters in my mind if they can't get the basics right, like good towels that are in your room, a nice shower, and an easy breakfast experience! I hope that this is helpful to travelers looking for accommodation in Reykjavik. I also sincerely hope that the Radisson cleans up its act! We would love to enjoy staying there like we did in the past.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Stephelps

Dear guest,
Thank you for staying at Radisson Blu Hotel Saga and to be so loyal guest to us.

I am so sorry to hear about your experience here at the hotel and want to thank you very much for your valuable feedback . We both value and respect your kind comments. I assure that your comments and experiences during your stay are very valuable to us and will be taken very seriously without any delay. We always prefer the listen every guest's experience in details to improve our service standards. For this reason, I would highly appreciate if you may contact me directly on the e-mail isey.thorgrimsdottir@radissonblu.com to let me know your experience thoroughly in our hotel.

Best regareds

Reviewed July 1, 2013

The hotel is located outside of the main town area and so it is a short 15 minute walk away, which was fine at first but began to grate after a few occasions. On the plus side, there is loads of free parking at the hotel. What lets this hotel down is its service. Firstly, the receptionist who checked us in was surly and unhelpful. We found our own way to our room, which was comfortable but basic - think 2 or 3 star not 4. My next issue was the housekeeping service. On the first evening, on returning to our room, we found that all the dirty towels had been removed, but no replacements had been left. A quick phone call sorted this out. The next day, exactly the same thing happened, also the bed had not been made and some dirty glasses had been left in the room. It was as if housekeeping had been disturbed while in the room and had not come back.
Later that evening, I requested a tea from the barman. There was no one else in the bar so he was not rushed off his feet, and I knew that this was available in the restaurant which was a short walk away. However, he refused to get my tea and also a coffee requested by my husband. It was obviously too much like hard work. Not the kind of service I expect.
We were glad to check out of the hotel - the black out blinds were not effective which made sleeping in June difficult.
I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AJ0nes
RD_Saga, Public Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Saga Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Dear guest,
First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your comments on tripadvisor with your feedback following your stay at the Radisson Blu Hotel Saga.

I would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused and sincerely regret that you were not satisfied with the service you received and the assistance was given.

I can assure you that I have started an investigation as soon as I saw your comments and have taken precautions that similar issues do not happen again in the future.

Once again, I apologize that this unfortunate experience has given you a wrong impression about the Hotel’s services and standards and I sincerely hope that the experience will not deter you from returning to one of our properties in the future.