“Hotel is nice, payment is problematic”
Review of Fosshotel Lind

Fosshotel Lind
Ranked #35 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed November 13, 2012

We stayed in this hotel in November 2012 having found it online. Two days after the non-refundable immediate payment reservation was made, and one day after payment was taken from my credit card, I received an email from the hotel telling me that they could not accept my credit card and I needed to provide another one.
I had a very similar issue in the Fosshotel Dalvik in Northern Iceland in 2011.
Fosshotel Lind did email me again later in the day to say 'the payment had now gone through', but the payment had actually been taken around 24 hours before the first email, so rather odd that they wanted further card details (in 2011 I was told the Dalvik branch of the chain had LOST my credit card details and i needed to provide them again, but I had forgotten this until I had issues again this time).
The hotel was clean and nice and very quiet although really close to the city centre. There is a public swimming pool close by and the reception staff were helpful in telling me how to reach it (although they did not know the opening times) and equally helpful when leaving luggage on the day we left.
The breakfast staff were less helpful - no coffee (as well as no bacon, no sausages and a few other things) at 09:15 when breakfast is served until 10:00 and no member of staff in sight. Everybody was drinking hot chocolate so we knocked on an unmarked door to discover 3 members of staff in a back room - two of whom immediately ran off. Not really the service one expects.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank anglaisenautriche
Erna D, Manager at Fosshotel Lind, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review :)

We are happy to hear that you liked the location of our hotel and that our reception staff were helpful.
I´m also glad to hear that the rooms were nice and clean.
I´m sorry to hear that there was a problem with the transaction of your prepaid booking. We do charge the credit cards for the prepaid offers as soon as the bookings arrive, if the credit card does not work for some reason we do contact our guest to see if they want us to proceed with the booking. I do assure other reviewers that we have a very good work ethics regarding online payments.
Thank you so much for you kind comments and we assure you that we will look into your points regarding the payment and the breakfast.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

Cheap and cheerful ! Our room was on the small side, ok for sleeping but if weather was bad Hotel is not suitable to relax in, very little communal space. Cold buffet breakfast in the basement was fine, like eating in a school canteen. If you like a hot breakfast this is not the place for you. Luke warm small frankfurter and soggy luke warm compressed scrambled egg is enough to turn your stomach!
Restaurant is more pub grub with little choice but tastes ok after a happy hour beer. Staff are friendly with one exception.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review :)

We are happy to hear that found our hotel to be cheap and cheerful with friendly staff.

Regarding breakfast, we do offer a wide range of food at our breakfast table, make your own waffles, hot options, baked goods, cold cuts, herring, cereals, yogurts, fresh fruit, cheeses, vegetables and more. I´m sorry to hear that you had some problems with our hot options but happy to hear that otherwise the breakfast was fine.

Thank you so much for you kind comments and we assure you that we will look into your points regarding the breakfast.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

The Fosshotel Lind is one of those hotels which few people will have any complaints about, but few people will find particularly memorable either. It's perfectly comfortable, but a bit bland. In other words, a typical chain hotel.

Pros

- Friendly, efficient staff.
- Clean, comfortable rooms with great power showers which have endless hot water.
- Excellent buffet breakfast which sets you up nicely for the day.

Cons

- On the corner of Laugeveger, but a 30-minute walk from the harbour.
- If you want wi-fi, you have to pay extra. There is a computer in the lobby, but it's always busy.
- The window blinds let in a lot of light. Not a problem in winter, but would be annoying during the long summer nights.

Since (probably likemost of the Lind's guests) I stayed here as part of a package tour, I can't comment on value for money. Overall, a decent but unspectacular choice.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review :)

We are happy to hear that you thought our breakfast is excellent, the rooms clean and that you found the staff to be friendly and efficient.

Regarding the curtains, we just finished putting new black out curtains in all the rooms so the sunlight should not be a problem from now on.

For other reviewers, you can bring your own computer to the reception and the bar as the wi-fi is open and free of charge there. There also a computer in the reception with free internet access.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Just spent a week here in a triple with my 2 grandsons, ages 10 and 13 . Room and was clean and comfy and plenty of hot water. The buffet breakfast was bountiful and we took several cookies and apples for our afternoon tea. We ate dinner at the hotel's Confusion restaurant and I took advantage of happy hour. We got to know the staff during our weeklong stay and they were most helpful. I used the free wifi for my kindle. No complaints.

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor, near elevator. very quiet
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank irishdesk
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights, room was clean. Maria at front desk was amazing! She called to confirm all my tours and times and informed me if they were going or not due to very high winds and clouds in the area. She helped me find a food store, places to eat out, & diff. things to do in the area. Full of helpful info and very nice person as well. Would advise anyone to stay there--wish I could have stayed longer. Thank you for making my stay so enjoyable. Travel to Iceland if you have a chance it is amazing.

Room Tip: Read reviews about staff being helpful and friendly this is very important when traveling in a new a...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Stayed for 4 nights, found the room to be very clean and comfortable. Shower was powerful and hot (although this seemed to be the same everywhere we stayed in Iceland!).
Breakfast was good and plentiful, choice of bread/cheese/meat, waffles, fruit, cereals as well as hot food - omlette sausages (small cocktail type) and beans all replaced as they ran out.
Receptionists were polite and helpful.
Central position for sightseeing in central Reykjavik.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Rach023
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I was in Reykjavik for a conference - this was a perfect place, with a wonderful breakfast, comfortable beds, and simple though clean rooms. The staff at the front desk were exceptionally helpful. The public computer in the lobby is also a nice touch. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business