“Grand designs”

Grand Hotel Reykjavik
Ranked #26 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 31, 2013

The Grand is self acclaimed to be the largest hotel in Iceland determined by the number of bedrooms. Yes very clean and spacious but a bit clinical and impersonal. The rooms are best described as functional, not keen on the semi- wet room set up in the bathroom and it was pointless paying for a 'mountain view' with minimal daylight hours.
The Grand is about a £12 taxi ride into the centre of town but all tours have hotel pick up and drop offs included.
Service could have been better and I felt the hotel was a bit under staffed.

Room Tip: Take shampoo and shower gel as the wall mounted hotel soap dispensers are not good!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 29, 2013

This hotel is very nice and of a high standard though it is a little out the centre. If you have many arranged trips then this is not a problem but if you wish to be in Reykjavik every night then you would be better in the centre. Overall fantastic trip.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 28, 2013

The reception staff could not have more helpful.As the ISK was not available to get in advance I emailed Thor at the Hotel who said euros would be okay to pay with. Not only did we pay with them we were able to use up our remaining ISK's, euros and sterling.Looking for somewhere to eat on Christmas Day again the staff were great. Only 1 flaw , the catering staff could find a personality! the only person with any conversation was the Chef on the passe, the others looked as tho they were made to be there on Christmas Day.
The Wifi was great and room was fabulous, the trips arranged by the staff exceptional.
The taxi to and from the airport was spot on also, arranged by Thor.

Room Tip: If you can stomach the heights ask for a room with a sea view and higher up.
Reviewed December 26, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights from 19-22nd of December, the hotel is a little bit out of the city centre about 20-30min walk the hotel does run a bus three times a day to take you in to the city,you need to ask at reception for times.
the staff are very friendly and helpful, and are able to arrange any trips you need.
we had a room on the 6th floor the rooms are very spacious and modern with everything you could need.
the restaurant in the hotel does a very nice buffet lunch it's a bit pricey but then this is Iceland, they have all sorts of hot and cold foods and it is help yourself, the breakfast has a fantastic range of things and is also a buffet style they have something for every one you will not go hungry.
I would stay here again.

Room Tip: ask for higher floors as you get a better veiw
Reviewed December 23, 2013

I stayed in the Grand for three nights and had a very nice time. I received a complementary upgrade and could check-in early. My room was spacious, pleasant and very clean, with a fine view across the town. The location is a pleasant 15min walk along the waterfront from Harpa / downtown Reykjavik and close to my favourite pool. The hotel offers free WiFi in all rooms and reception lent me an adapter as I left mine at home. Very nice breakfast with lots of choices including organic options and even Soya milk (a first for me in a hotel!). Very helpful staff; thanks again to Joanna for making me a cup of tea and a sandwich when my pick-up to the airport was before breakfast time!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights while we explored Reykjavik. The hotel is slightly out of the town centre but is about a 20 minute walk to a big shopping centre so we didn't mind. Our room was on the 5th floor and was big and modern, with a free safe which I thought was very helpful. The view from the room was great and overlooked the sea. Breakfast was good not an awful lot of choice but it set you up for the day. The staff at the hotel we vey helpful and could not do enough for us in organising our trips and checkin if eveything was up and running. We ate at the hotel on one night and had the evening buffet - I wouldn't do this as it was very expensive, you are better going out to eat.
All in all if I ever went back I would stay again

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room, views are great

LOCATION
I wanted to stay in a spa hotel so booked this one as it was slightly more affordable and the rooms looked nicer. I was a bit worried after looking more closely at a map of Reykjavik that it was too far out, but while I was there I did walk into the city centre along the coast - lovely walk that took about half an hour but not much fun I'm strong wind and snow!

One great thing about the location is its proximity to Laugardalslaug swimming pool with the fantastic 40 degree hot tubs, perfect on a cold snowy day!

FOOD
Breakfast was excellent, a very small selection but very tasty and a good coffee machine to make cappuccino. Given the distance into the city centre I ended up eating at the hotel restaurant in the evenings, which if you look at the website you'll see isn't cheap. However, the food is excellent and the chef brings you an amuse-bouche, which was different each day. I strongly recommend the lamb and the cheese board.

ROOM
I had booked a room with a lobby view and was going to ask for a free upgrade but didn't bother when I arrived. However, after checking in and going to my room I must have been upgraded to an executive room with a good view over the city - you so get some traffic noise though from road sweepers.

The room was a decent size and very modern. Great bathroom with a rain shower, however I had to use the smaller shower in the room to get piping hot water. I was worried I'd be having cold showers but here's a tip: leave the shower running for a few minutes and bring the shower head down as low as is comfortable to get maximum heat. Although the room looked modern the wall paper was very tired and I didn't like the fact that the sheets didn't fit the bed properly so bare mattress was exposed - unhygienic. The floor could have done with better sweeping too.

FACILITIES
I didn't end up using the spa but it looked lovely and there was a very large size gym with good choice of equipment free for quests to use.

I would stay here again for the facilities and good quality room, however I think next time I go, especially if in winter, I'd prefer to be slightly more central - a taxi from the centre to the hotel is about 20,000KR minimum, so not cheap.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo