“Accidental stay”

Grand Hotel Reykjavik
Ranked #25 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We ended up at the Grand as a result of being 'bumped' out of the Best Western, and declining their offer of a room at the Hotel Leifur Eirikson, which was not up to our standards. We are glad we held out and ended up at the Grand. No, it's not a 5-star hotel, the rooms - particularly in the older, 4-storey section, which according to the in-room hotel information guide, was a Holiday Inn - are tired. They may have been updated - well, they need updating again! Maybe the rooms in the tower are better. At least there was an in-room fridge. The room was a reasonable size. The bathroom definitely needs upgrading. The shower head came off the pole while I was trying to adjust it, I was almost injured as a result, and there seems to be no way to avoid flooding the floor while showering. However, we were satisfied that we ended up with a better room than the other hotels would have offered. It was quiet, the buffet breakfast offered far more than those at the other two hotels, and we found it a good location as we had a rental car, and spent 3 of our 4 days in Iceland driving to sites outside of Reykjavik, and thus found the location to be good for highway access. We also found the front desk staff to be quite helpful.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Leanne_Bear

Reviewed October 6, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for one night only upon our arrival in Iceland. The hotel has a beautiful lobby, the staff was very friendly and accommodating. Our room was beautifully decorated and spotless. The buffet breakfast was very good.The only down side to this hotel is that is a bit far from the city center and there are no restaurants nearby. Therefore, if forced us to eat at their restaurants which was a bit overpriced. Overall hotel experience was good.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lovemytraveling
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is not a 5 star and is neither the poor old hotels you see in some European cities. People are friendly and rooms are very clean. A great jaccuzi and shower in my room makes me happy.

Breakfast is actually a disaster. Packed with tourists and Its a fish market that is severely understaffed.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I stayed at the grand hotel during both my visits to Iceland this year. The rooms are small, but who cares? You don't spend that much time in the room anyway. The hotel staff was very friendly, has a decent bar in the lobby area, and their breakfast is really good. They cater to the different groups of tourists that are staying at the hotel (I was there on business, but there were many Japanese tourists staying there this time around), so the hotel had Japanese breakfast options as well. The price is pretty high, but if that was no issue, I would stay here every single time.

cons: Maybe it's an Icelandic thing, but there is just 1 kind of soap in the bathroom to shower/wash your face/hands. So, no shampoo, no conditioner, no 'body wash'.... The first time around I had to ask the front desk, and they gave me some conditioner. this time I carried my own.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 15, 2013

The only thing Grand about this hotel is it's big enough for groups and buses. We stayed for two visits, first stay was ok (I mean ok clean with only a few hair in the bathroom) but breakfast was almost no service and really noisy with groups of tourists.
2nd stay was really bad, first room we got had a light cigarette smell and we called down to the front desk to ask for another room. We were informed the only room they had at that time wasn’t cleaned yet. We told them it’s fine to store our bags, at the same time we can have dinner in the hotel. After dinner, we were offered a room on the 2nd floor and quick looked at the room it seemed to be fine. When we were about to go to sleep, the whole situation got to really disgusting. One of the twin bed smells like body odor, after we removed the top sheet and noticed the mattress protector has yellow stain on it. After we called and visited the front desk, they finally sent someone to the room to inspect. Both of them simply said they couldn’t smell anything and at the end they could only do is to provide us another flat sheet to double layer cover the mattress and we turned the smelly part to the bottom of the bed.
For quick one night stay on the way to somewhere, this location doesn’t really bother me much. But at least the hotel rooms should be cleaned properly. We can also deal with loud dining room and lobby, but please clean the rooms and smile.

Room Tip: Why dont you try another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank samandjet
Reviewed September 11, 2013

To determine how good a hotel is I have two main indicators that is the friendliness of the staff and the cleanliness of the bathroom. On both these counts my expectations were exceeded.
Overall the whole experience was very good and my room was clean and spacious.

Room Tip: The eighth floor was good for me and I was not near a lift
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank paul b
Reviewed September 8, 2013

The Grand is a bit pricey therefore draws a business traveller as well as tours, expect it to be crowded and busy. The rooms are fine, clean and comfortable, nothing special

The room doors buzz if not closed properly no one tells you this though - its a nuisance. Lovely breakfast , but not within walking distance it's a bit out of the centre and as I usually end up in these places alone - I d prefer a more central hotel

I found the staff helpful

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business